3 Chinese Women Arrested at Phnom Penh Airport for Baby Trafficking

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 3 Chinese Women Arrested at Phnom Penh Airport for Baby Trafficking

Post by John Bingham »

Ghostwriter wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:10 pm
I hope the ladies get fined, and the babies returned to their families with the fine's money as a help.
Yeah, i dream.
That sounds like a great way to encourage people to sell kids. Why not if they are gong to get them back and get even more money later? Great plan. :?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
jah steu
Expatriate
Australia

3 Chinese Women Arrested at Phnom Penh Airport for Baby Trafficking

Post by jah steu »

Sent from embedded sub-cutaneous iPhone 9 using Tapatalk.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

jah steu wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:47 pm
Darkcel wrote:The going rate for a local baby still 5-10k? Wonder how much they are in Chy-Nah
My understanding was it was about $400 in Kandal market for Khmers. That was a few years ago but I imagine covid has kept prices down. Many desperate families unable to feed all their kids. It’s quite common for kids to be given to distant family or even strangers to be permanently looked after if the original family is very poor.
I think at that same time a few years ago it was about $2K for barangs looking to acquire an ‘adopted’ Khmer baby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That must be bottom of the barrel prices. I got an offer of 10k for my kid in Kampong Cham market (yes... true story ..) early 2012 from some rich Khmer parents trying to solve their daughter's fertility problem.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 pm
Darkcel wrote:The going rate for a local baby still 5-10k? Wonder how much they are in Chy-Nah
My understanding was it was about $400 in Kandal market for Khmers. That was a few years ago but I imagine covid has kept prices down. Many desperate families unable to feed all their kids. It’s quite common for kids to be given to distant family or even strangers to be permanently looked after if the original family is very poor.
I think at that same time a few years ago it was about $2K for barangs looking to acquire an ‘adopted’ Khmer baby.

That must be bottom of the barrel prices. I got an offer of 10k for my kid in Kampong Cham market (yes... true story ..) early 2012 from some rich Khmer parents trying to solve their daughter's fertility problem.
Your kid must have Koh-I-noor diamonds for eyes and lay golden eggs for that price😉
I know of a couple of fairly recent occasions where babies have been offered for sale to other Khmers for $200.
I also know a couple who bought a ‘son’ because they already had 3 daughters and the wife was too busy working to go through another pregnancy (not to mention risking having another girl)
This was about 8 or 9 years ago and they paid $100 for the baby boy.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

I became friends with a western female expat and her Indonesian husband who had a boy of about five years of age. The child had very dark skin for a multi-racial (Caucasian/Sasak) child which caused me to consider perhaps the child wasn't theirs (as mentioned it's not uncommon to pass babies among local families in the region). One night over a few drinks the woman explained she was unable to have children, then went on to say her husband's friends had an unexpected pregnancy they didn't want resulting in two problems solved. It's unlikely there was an official adoption, making me wonder how the woman expat would be able to travel with the child if she wanted.
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Haven't heard someone selling their baby for a while indeed. But it isn't far-fetched, I remember some still pregnant freelance taxi-girl trying to sell her future offspring and the fact that the father was barang was a price raising factor. Asking people about it babies with 'round eyes' are apparently in higher demand and command higher prices, even so that some of these taxi-girls did not mind at all to get pregnant.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Just a thought! We have had numbers of people whom have contacted the Covid19 virus, and the recoveries, also the deaths. But again due to curfews and lockdowns, I wonder what the pregnancy rates are for over those times.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:26 pm I became friends with a western female expat and her Indonesian husband who had a boy of about five years of age. The child had very dark skin for a multi-racial (Caucasian/Sasak) child which caused me to consider perhaps the child wasn't theirs (as mentioned it's not uncommon to pass babies among local families in the region). One night over a few drinks the woman explained she was unable to have children, then went on to say her husband's friends had an unexpected pregnancy they didn't want resulting in two problems solved. It's unlikely there was an official adoption, making me wonder how the woman expat would be able to travel with the child if she wanted.
That all sounds very risky, I doubt it would be possible, and unwise to attempt to do so.
What if they had to leave the country (denied a visa extension or expelled for whatever reason) ?Attempting to get a passport to travel abroad with an unregistered child would raise all kinds of flags, any claims of parentage would be scrutinized and DNA testing would prove neither ‘parent’ is biological. Likewise without legal adoption paperwork, they’d be unable to take a child who they have bonded with, and might have no possibility to make suitable alternative arrangements for the child’s care. If they attempted to leave with the child they’d most likely end up in jail and the boy in an orphanage.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:41 pm
Kammekor wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:42 pm

Your kid must have Koh-I-noor diamonds for eyes and lay golden eggs for that price😉
I know of a couple of fairly recent occasions where babies have been offered for sale to other Khmers for $200.
I also know a couple who bought a ‘son’ because they already had 3 daughters and the wife was too busy working to go through another pregnancy (not to mention risking having another girl)
This was about 8 or 9 years ago and they paid $100 for the baby boy.
No, just as ugly as all babies. Maybe the skin wasn't as dark as others. (I'm not fond of babies, started to like it all at around the age of three... Sorry....)
Anyway, I rejected the offer and might regret it in a year or three when the kid enters puberty.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

The misses was offered a few grand for the kid on at least a couple of occasions when he was a baby. The light skin was a big deal. She told them politely to fornicate elsewhere.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic