30 years on, has anything gotten better? Paris Peace Agreements

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

30 years on, has anything gotten better? Paris Peace Agreements

Post by phuketrichard »

The 1991 accord ending a war between Cambodia and Vietnam was lauded for its democratic goals, but political opportunism and the quest for profit has left the promise unfulfilled
A protester shouts slogans during a protest to mark the 29th annniversary of the Paris Peace Accord in front of the US embassy in Phnom Penh on October 23, 2020. Photo: Tang Chhin/AFP

https://southeastasiaglobe.com/paris-pe ... 44700f68e1
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: 30 years on, has anything gotten better? Paris Peace Agreements

Post by phuketrichard »

i'll answer my question , has anything gotten better.

NOPE
Protesters Beaten Ahead of Paris Peace Agreements 30th Anniversary
Kong Sreynech after being assaulted by police outside the French Embassy in Phnom Penh
The day before the Paris Peace Agreements turn 30, police employed violence against women who were demanding Cambodian uphold its obligations under the agreements and called on France to intervene

PHNOM PENH--Outnumbered by a large police presence, roughly 20 women staged a peaceful demonstration outside the French Embassy on Oct. 22, calling on the French and Cambodian governments to meet their obligations under the Paris Peace Agreements, which was signed 30 years ago tomorrow.
Journalists Systematically Harassed

Reporters were repeatedly told not to document violence against protesters, with police attempting to seize cameras and press passes from reporters. Many Cambodian reporters were outright banned from covering the protest.
Another officer said that journalists were not allowed to cover the protest as a matter of “public order and security” and that the police were simply “trying to prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
The police’s treatment of journalists comes as little surprise, particularly after the Cambodian Journalists Alliance Association (CamboJA) released a report on Oct. 19 that documented nine incidents of harassment—a mixture of legal action, violence, threats, detentions and imprisonments—involving 21 journalists in Cambodia between July and September 2021.
https://cambodianess.com/article/protes ... nniversary
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

The Paris Peace Agreements brought peace. It allowed the Vietnamese to leave Cambodia and the Khmers a chance to govern themselves. What Cambodia has done since then, that’s been up to them.

That’s my realpolitik view.
My opinions are entirely my own.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Controlled like dogs
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

Party of No Choice
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:02 pm The Paris Peace Agreements brought peace. It allowed the Vietnamese to leave Cambodia and the Khmers a chance to govern themselves. What Cambodia has done since then, that’s been up to them.

The Vietnamese withdrew in 1989, 2 years before these Paris Peace Agreements. The agrrements are often lauded as "bringing peace" to Cambodia. They certainly did a lot to bring peace by bringing the ANS (FUNCINPEC Royalist Army) and KPNLF (Nationalist army composed of former Lon Nol supporters/ Republicans) into the fold. Not that those alliances always lasted long. The war with the so-called Khmer Rouge expanded after the UN left and didn't end till the late 90s. The UN and international community like to claim Cambodia as a success story, in reality if it wasn't for the boss and his win win policy the place would still be in ruins.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

kuroneko

Post by Kuroneko »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:00 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 9:02 pm The Paris Peace Agreements brought peace. It allowed the Vietnamese to leave Cambodia and the Khmers a chance to govern themselves. What Cambodia has done since then, that’s been up to them.

The Vietnamese withdrew in 1989, 2 years before these Paris Peace Agreements. The agrrements are often lauded as "bringing peace" to Cambodia. They certainly did a lot to bring peace by bringing the ANS (FUNCINPEC Royalist Army) and KPNLF (Nationalist army composed of former Lon Nol supporters/ Republicans) into the fold. Not that those alliances always lasted long. The war with the so-called Khmer Rouge expanded after the UN left and didn't end till the late 90s. The UN and international community like to claim Cambodia as a success story, in reality if it wasn't for the boss and his win win policy the place would still be in ruins.
Exactly right! I am starting to think the op is either trolling with that article or working on supporting American foreign policy against Cambodia. :stir: The focus of many of these articles is framing the eradication of the CNRP and their backers failed attempts at sabotaging the Cambodian Government as a human rights issue. HRW's agenda being a case in point.

"HRW has provoked politically and socially toxic environments through consistently fabricating misleading information and launching groundless attacks against Cambodia since the early 1990s. Truth be told, it fails to recognize the achievements made by the Royal Government of Cambodia in lifting millions of people from poverty. The rights to live and livelihoods are the most important human rights above all. We cannot talk about human rights if the people are hungry, and their livelihoods are under threat.
It is crystal clear that HRW’s core members have had a long history of grudges against Cambodian leaders whom they have accused of violating human rights without presenting credible facts or evidence. Their ambition is to bring down the legitimate government by provoking people’s discontent with and mistrust of the government."

"To understand the nature of HRW, we need to understand its roots. Founded in 1978 during the Cold War, HRW was initially named Helsinki Watch to monitor the former Soviet Union’s implementation of the 1975 Helsinki Accords and to examine and criticize “crimes” committed by the former Soviet Union and its allies, which has led to the long-standing Cold-War ideology carried out by the group under the disguise of a human rights organization. It is founded based on political ideology and propaganda. Clearly, HRW was a by-product of the Cold War whose raison d’etre would have ceased after the Cold War ended."
Relevant paragraphs cut from a KT article illustrating my perspective https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50917270/h ... m-project/
rubberbaron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by rubberbaron »

I came here first in 1989 and have observed the development of the country as only a few other old time expats have. The change is dramatic. To claim nothing has changed is a very narrow-minded U. S. influenced view, propagated by former CNRP leaders. Admittedly the progress has been mostly on the economic front, but as Kuroneko said hungry people don't care about political or human rights. One also has to take into account the mentality of the people in judging overall development. There is much to be done on the political front but 30 years is nothing in terms of development. A good example is Thailand, which is advanced economically but politically still a hotbed and they had a head start of 30 years on Cambodia. Corruption is inherent in emerging countries, and far from non-existent in industrial nations. Yes, development is lopsided. No democracy in the world was born overnight. Don't expect miracles in countries with no democratic history at all.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:10 pm i'll answer my question , has anything gotten better.

NOPE
I'm gobsmacked that anyone can seriously say that. Lies like that may work for a foreign audience, but many of us have seen the changes with our own eyes and we aren't going to buy that garbage.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

I have observed before that sometimes expats who present propaganda against the government find EOS are declined.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic