30 years on, has anything gotten better? Paris Peace Agreements

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: 30 years on, has anything gotten better? Paris Peace Agreements

Post by mannanman »

nemo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:14 pm I have observed before that sometimes expats who present propaganda against the government find EOS are declined.
It’s not hard to work out who the OP is on FB. I’m sure “they” know.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:00 amThe Vietnamese withdrew in 1989, 2 years before these Paris Peace Agreements. The agrrements are often lauded as "bringing peace" to Cambodia. They certainly did a lot to bring peace by bringing the ANS (FUNCINPEC Royalist Army) and KPNLF (Nationalist army composed of former Lon Nol supporters/ Republicans) into the fold. Not that those alliances always lasted long. The war with the so-called Khmer Rouge expanded after the UN left and didn't end till the late 90s. The UN and international community like to claim Cambodia as a success story, in reality if it wasn't for the boss and his win win policy the place would still be in ruins.
I think you're being a bit selective with your facts. The Vietnamese withdrew because of the rapprochement with China which had already started by 88. Soviet aid had dried up and it was basically pointless for them to stay on. Once the Soviet Union collapsed along with the rest of Eurocommunism, China and Vietnam were scared shitless and really keen on finding a solution to the Cambodian issue an willing to do anything with the US and Europe. So the PPA came to fruition largely by outside forces, not from within, and though it was a rocky road ahead, I think it's fair to say that no future peace could have materialized without it as the catalyst.
Kuroneko wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:32 am It is crystal clear that HRW’s core members have had a long history of grudges against Cambodian leaders whom they have accused of violating human rights without presenting credible facts or evidence. Their ambition is to bring down the legitimate government by provoking people’s discontent with and mistrust of the government."
There has been pleeeeenty of credible evidence which showcase the judicial and political basketcase Cambodia can be at times. However, I totally agree that it's ludicrous to label Cambodia or the PPA as a "failure" in any way. Cambodia has been a huge success not only economically, but also in terms of safety. The main issue for them is that the political pluralism which was hoped for (naïvely) never materialized. We have to remember that the 90s were a time of great political optimism which is too easily dismissed as foolish now with hindsight. However, the US was the sole superpower, democracy was the victor and years later the sting of how things transpired (politically) here still seems to annoy some of the original players. Keep in mind, the US was footing more than 80% of the UN's budget in the early 90s, with Japan and Europe providing most of the rest. It's HRW's job to talk about stuff like that though, so they'll always be a bit over-the-top.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Ordinary Khmer people are certainly vastly better off, materially, in health, in education than when I first visited in 2007.

The pace of change here is very noteworthy.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm I think you're being a bit selective with your facts.
How am I being selective? I stated that they withdrew in 1989 in response to NKOTB's assertion that the 1991 Paris Peace Agreement allowed the Vietnamese to leave Cambodia. I didn't even attempt any explanation of how it came about, obviously it was years in the making. And let's not forget that Thailand was still supplying the Khmer Rouge long after the agreement.
https://www.csmonitor.com/1993/1229/29041.html
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm We have to remember that the 90s were a time of great political optimism which is too easily dismissed as foolish now with hindsight. However, the US was the sole superpower, democracy was the victor and years later the sting of how things transpired (politically) here still seems to annoy some of the original players. Keep in mind, the US was footing more than 80% of the UN's budget in the early 90s, with Japan and Europe providing most of the rest. It's HRW's job to talk about stuff like that though, so they'll always be a bit over-the-top.
The nineties have effectively been 'a holiday from history' and the turn of the century ended that holiday.

Stating Cambodia has not been developed since 30 years back is indeed simply ludicrous IMHO. Talk to any Cambodian about the difference between 30 years back and now and very, very few (probably none) are willing to exchange today's daily life for the life back then.

That doesn't mean Cambodia isn't facing serious issues now. Dependencies, human rights, geopolitics, gap between poor and rich, education, health care, environmental issues... Just to name a few.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:47 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm I think you're being a bit selective with your facts.
How am I being selective? I stated that they withdrew in 1989 in response to NKOTB's assertion that the 1991 Paris Peace Agreement allowed the Vietnamese to leave Cambodia. I didn't even attempt any explanation of how it came about, obviously it was years in the making. And let's not forget that Thailand was still supplying the Khmer Rouge long after the agreement.
I meant it regarding the last part of your statement that I interpreted as peace being the sole making of HE's magic wand. While I agree that lasting peace (disregarding political outcomes) couldn't have been easily achieved without him post UNTAC, the PPA (which foreign powers had a large hand to play in) were equally significant. Both were necessary for lasting peace as they set the groundwork for it.
Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:54 pm
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:34 pm We have to remember that the 90s were a time of great political optimism which is too easily dismissed as foolish now with hindsight. However, the US was the sole superpower, democracy was the victor and years later the sting of how things transpired (politically) here still seems to annoy some of the original players. Keep in mind, the US was footing more than 80% of the UN's budget in the early 90s, with Japan and Europe providing most of the rest. It's HRW's job to talk about stuff like that though, so they'll always be a bit over-the-top.
The nineties have effectively been 'a holiday from history' and the turn of the century ended that holiday.

Stating Cambodia has not been developed since 30 years back is indeed simply ludicrous IMHO. Talk to any Cambodian about the difference between 30 years back and now and very, very few (probably none) are willing to exchange today's daily life for the life back then.

That doesn't mean Cambodia isn't facing serious issues now. Dependencies, human rights, geopolitics, gap between poor and rich, education, health care, environmental issues... Just to name a few.
Totally agree.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 pm
I meant it regarding the last part of your statement that I interpreted as peace being the sole making of HE's magic wand. While I agree that lasting peace (disregarding political outcomes) couldn't have been easily achieved without him post UNTAC, the PPA (which foreign powers had a large hand to play in) were equally significant. Both were necessary for lasting peace as they set the groundwork for it.
Yes, which is why I wrote that:
The agreements are often lauded as "bringing peace" to Cambodia. They certainly did a lot to bring peace by bringing the ANS (FUNCINPEC Royalist Army) and KPNLF (Nationalist army composed of former Lon Nol supporters/ Republicans) into the fold. Not that those alliances always lasted long.
So the agreements had a limited success which I acknowledged. However the ANS and KPLNF armies were the least effective in the so called "CGDK" alliance - basically just a front that gave legitimacy to Khmer Rouge.
A peace agreement that the largest resistance army didn't comply with doesn't deserve to be called a peace agreement. It also doesn't deserve the huge emphasis put on it by opposition party supporters, the Republican Institute, RFA etc. The foreign audience deserve better than to be lied to by these dubious organizations.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

fyi:
i was not referring to daily life in Cambodia when i mentioned that nothing has changed,
yes the roads are better, yes there is more work available, yes there are schools for the kids, yes there is a sign of wealth ( at least in SNV and PP), yes people lives for the most part are better and people live to be older and on an on

but .....

Cambodia’s democratic dream in shreds 30 years after Paris accord
The historic agreement was forged in the spirit of post-Cold War optimism, but was tested almost immediately.
It was 1991 and the Paris Peace Agreement, bringing years of conflict following the brutal rule of the Maoist-inspired Khmer Rouge to an end, had just been signed. Cambodians were looking forward to choosing their own leaders and picking up the pieces of their broken country.

Now, 30 years after the historic accord was signed, Chantha, a trader and a housewife, finds herself fighting for the release of her husband – a supporter of what was once the main opposition party – and her 16-year-old son.

Her husband was arrested in 2020 and her son earlier this year. She says their fate is proof the 1991 agreement has not been respected.

...In July 1997, after months of tension and a grenade attack on an opposition rally that killed more than a dozen people, HE moved against the royalists, and seized power for himself.

Since then, he has only tightened his grip, and the process has accelerated in recent years.

“There are many major concerns but the most important one is the way democracy has been destroyed in the name of stability,” said Sorpong Peou, a professor in the Department of Politics and Public Administration at Ryerson University. “Dissolving the CNRP is against the Peace Accord’s democracy pillar, which is more or less an international peace treaty.”
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/10/ ... qGzqM_7zrc
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

We have already debunked all that. Why do you keep pushing US/ CNRP propaganda? You think we can't remember their xenophobic and racist policies? Democracy? Name one democratic country in the region? I won't hold my breath. :? :?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

John Bingham wrote:
Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:28 pm
Yes, which is why I wrote that:
The agreements are often lauded as "bringing peace" to Cambodia. They certainly did a lot to bring peace by bringing the ANS (FUNCINPEC Royalist Army) and KPNLF (Nationalist army composed of former Lon Nol supporters/ Republicans) into the fold. Not that those alliances always lasted long.
So the agreements had a limited success which I acknowledged. However the ANS and KPLNF armies were the least effective in the so called "CGDK" alliance - basically just a front that gave legitimacy to Khmer Rouge.
A peace agreement that the largest resistance army didn't comply with doesn't deserve to be called a peace agreement. It also doesn't deserve the huge emphasis put on it by opposition party supporters, the Republican Institute, RFA etc. The foreign audience deserve better than to be lied to by these dubious organizations.
Fair enough. I just meant that the place would also be in shambles and there would have been no win-win policy to implement if it hadn't been for the intervention of outside powers and the "accomplishment" of PPA as a precursor. Peace wasn't only HE's doing, regardless of what a new bill might imply (though he obviously played a massive role both prior to and post PPA). China told the KR to play ball when they initially balked, while the others worked hard for a long time prior to 91 to bring as many factions together as possible.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic