Music is BACK!

This is the part of the forum where we discuss Cambodia's nightlife! While most bars, nightclubs, pubs, beer gardens, and hostess bars are in Phnom Penh, we discuss the Cambodian nightlife across all of Cambodia, including Siem Reap, Kampot, and Sihanoukville. The main nightlife areas in Phnom Penh are on Street 136, Street 130, Street 110 and Street 51, but there are other party spots that aren't girlie bars where expats, tourists, and locals drink until the sun comes up. Feel free to post specials and promotions that relate to nighttime fun!
violet
Expatriate

Re: Music is BACK!

Post by violet »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:03 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:39 am Far out! That was an AMAZING show at Oscar's last night!
I'm pleased it went well.
Whenever Oscar's has a major musuc event, it attracts a large crowd. All good except not so much for the ladies working there who get (mostly) marginalised.
Most nights Oscar's is a hostess bar with (very good) live bands. On nights like yesterday it is a music bar with live bands. Most of the audience have no intention of buying lady drinks. The question is - can he get away with being both kinds of bar? I'd say he can, so long as he doesn't try to be a music bar too often!
The irony is that you can actually appreciate the live music better on the hostess bar nights because on the music bar nights, it's so busy and people are talking loudly at each other that it's hard to listen.
10+ years shows it’s working
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:39 am Far out! That was an AMAZING show at Oscar's last night!
Whenever Oscar's has a major musuc event, it attracts a large crowd. All good except not so much for the ladies working there who get (mostly) marginalised.
Most nights Oscar's is a hostess bar with (very good) live bands. On nights like yesterday it is a music bar with live bands. Most of the audience have no intention of buying lady drinks. The question is - can he get away with being both kinds of bar? I'd say he can, so long as he doesn't try to be a music bar too often!
The irony is that you can actually appreciate the live music better on the hostess bar nights because on the music bar nights, it's so busy and people are talking loudly at each other that it's hard to listen.
Did you miss the part about it being the 13th anniversary. Seems they have been doing something right ;)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:35 pm
Did you miss the part about it being the 13th anniversary. Seems they have been doing something right ;)
Judging by my banging headache this morning, I had a good time. It wasn't that busy, I got a seat at the bar and wasn't cramped in. The BBQ skewers were nice (and free). I not really into music but knew that line-up would be worth watching and I was not wrong.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Did you invent the part where you think I said they have been getting everything (or even anything) wrong? I love Oscars and I go there a lot. He needs to navigate the likes and dislikes of the different demographics that he attracts, and the impact that that has on his staff. That's all. #violet
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:37 pm
Did you invent the part where you think I said they have been getting everything (or even anything) wrong? I love Oscars and I go there a lot. He needs to navigate the likes and dislikes of the different demographics that he attracts, and the impact that that has on his staff. That's all. #violet
None of the hostesses are staff, they are all freelancers.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:41 am
None of the hostesses are staff, they are all freelancers.
So, where are you going with that? They don't matter? This relates to my original point. Some of the "normal" bar demographic dislikes Oscars for having hostesses and is offended by seeing it in action there. They would love to see Oscars get rid of them. Scoddy refers to this attitude in his recent interview with Khmer Times.
"There are elements of the music community though here who view Oscar’s with strong reservations about the nature of the venue. Our answer to that is “Get over it. We are in S.E. Asia.” "
https://www.khmernights.com/lucky-13-a- ... he-corner/

The odd thing is that most of the "music community" demographic rarely listens to the live bands, they just talk all the time, pausing their conversations to clap politely at the end of each song before resuming as soon as the next one starts.

Oscar's actually began his 13 years as a non-hostess bar but it didn't work commercially, so the hostesses came in and it has worked well.

It's not correct to say they are freelancrer. They all get paid by the bar. It may be that the pay is all in the form of commission but it is still pay.

BTW, that's what Uber tried to say about their drivers in London. It went to court and Uber lost. And Uber did not even pay them!
https://www.bbc.com/news/business-56123668
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

For clarity:

Hostess = salaried + share of lady drinks + share of bar fine.

Freelancers 'Plus' = non-salaried + share of lady drinks + NO bar fine.

Freelancers = Girl in bar you meet and think you've got lucky (until the penny drops)

Girlfriend = Girl you meet outside a bar and costs you a bloody fortune and tells you what to do (and not to do).

Have I missed anything?
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:31 am

It's not correct to say they are freelancrer. They all get paid by the bar. It may be that the pay is all in the form of commission but it is still pay.

Incorrect.
Since Covid ALL hostesses are freelancers, with no wage and no bar fine.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:46 am For clarity:

Hostess = salaried + share of lady drinks + share of bar fine.

Freelancers 'Plus' = non-salaried + share of lady drinks + NO bar fine.

Freelancers = Girl in bar you meet and think you've got lucky (until the penny drops)

Girlfriend = Girl you meet outside a bar and costs you a bloody fortune and tells you what to do (and not to do).

Have I missed anything?
Wife = A life sentence
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:59 am
armchairlawyer wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:31 am

Incorrect.
Since Covid ALL hostesses are freelancers, with no wage and no bar fine.
They get paid by commission Roz, get real. Loads of staff are paid by commission.
Freelancers are in places like Ponton where they do not get paid by the bar.

In any event, the main point is that if they go away, Oscar's becomes non-viable. Unless the "music community" can be persuaded to pay an entrance fee to see the live bands. Good luck with that!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic