Female Teacher Raising $15,000 for Flight to Australia After Losing Job and Getting Sick from Vaccine

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Female Teacher Raising $15,000 for Flight to Australia After Losing Job and Getting Sick from Vaccine

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

A female teacher in Cambodia from Australia aims to raise $15,000 for a flight back to Australia after she says she lost her job and 'nearly died' after getting the vaccine.

From GoFundMe:

'As many of my friends and family know I've been living and teaching ESL in Cambodia for the most part of 4 and a half years, when the pandemic struck we were told by the Australian government to shelter in place if we had stable employment, housing and community which I did, I chose to stay and continue to serve not only as a teacher but always providing for my community. I have now lost my job due to the pandemic and desperately need to return to Australia where I dream of returning to youth and community work and enrolling in social work at uni as well as seeking mental health support. Unfortunately right now the ticket prices to Aus are crazy expensive, I'm struggling to even pay the rent and daily expenses, I never thought in a million years I would be trying to raise funds to get home, I worked so hard to get to where I am now and just dream of continuing to serve community back in Aus.

Any donations will be so appreciated in this extremely difficult time.'

If you want to donate to Mish Powell's GoFundMe, you can do that here: https://www.gofundme.com/f/returning-ho ... m-cambodia

Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Female Teacher Raising $15,000 for Flight to Australia After Losing Job and Getting Sick from Vaccine

Post by John Bingham »

Hysterical blagger wants a free trip home.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Female Teacher Raising $15,000 for Flight to Australia After Losing Job and Getting Sick from Vaccine

Post by TWY »

I'm assuming she needs to fly first class due to the medical issues.
Cambo Dear
Expatriate
Libya

Post by Cambo Dear »

Not only a ridiculous sum of money, but also ridiculously badly punctuated for an ESL teacher. I'm sure she has access to lines of credit back in Australia if needed - she chose to teach and live the life in Cambodia - why should anyone contribute to her future plans?
Kahuna
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kahuna »

A very quick look on Skyscanner shows Singapore Airlines flying out of PP with a brief stop in Singapore before departing to Sydney for $989 USD (I looked at departures for this time next month) one way so not sure where she got $15,000 from. Is there other fees that don't show? I suppose she requires a pre flight Covid test which would add a few extra dollars but what else?
Mate of mine flew back from Ho Chi Minh City to Brisbane Australia with Singapore Airlines in business class because he wanted the extra baggage allowance and just kick back and relax in comfort at the end of June for $2,200 USD and had no problems except for a long stopover at Changi airport.
@TWY even if she required first class for the supposed medical reasons they still have those seats for just under $4,000 USD
I think @John Bingham is right about this and looking at the fundraiser total to date and she'll be waiting a long time if she has no other funds, friends or family. Even the person mentioned in the conversation with her in the opening post hasn't chipped in to the fund raiser or they may have done so privately.
Best of luck to her but I think she needs to set her goals a lot lower.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

She nearly died.
Her friends WERE GOING to take her to ER at 4am.

I’m a sceptic
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Why is she asking $15,000 ? That's a lot for a plane ticket, unless she has more debts.
Overstay fines maybe ? Hospital fees ? She hasn't paid her rent ?

"Getting sick from the vaccine ... need a CT scan" ... sounds like self-diagnosis from someone who was basically anti-vax and now feels ill. Maybe she's just got Covid. They say it gives brain fog. (That's not snark. Sometimes when you get sick, you self-diagnose.)

Anyway, up to you all if you want to fund her. Plenty of people are having tough times.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

The Australian government never told people to hunker down, thier position has always been return home.
Flights never been that much and you can apply for a government loan for expenses to relocate.
Has she contacted the embassy?
No quarantine from November 1st
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Crowd-begging does seem to attract people who want to give their money to other people for any reason

I'm not surprised its popular, much easier than going to work
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Dear Mish Powell,

Here are some facts for you.

Three weeks ago, I contacted Singapore airlines to find out how much it would cost to fly 2 adults from Phnom Penh to Brisbane via Singapore. Below is the actual quote from SIA:
"From Singapore Airlines Chat (29Sep21):
Earliest seats available for Phnom Penh-Brisbane will be on 08 February 2021 in Business Flexi fare at USD2873.40 per passenger as of now.

Total for two passengers will be USD5746.80 as of now."
USD5746 = $7868 AUD
Cost of Quarantine for 2 adults = $4,130 AUD

TOTAL = $11,995 AUD !! (And, that is just airfares and 14 days in quarantine)
------

Facts Part 2:

Last Friday, I got an email from DFAT (because I had registered with them) advising that there were 2 "facilitated commercial flights - Singapore to Darwin" scheduled for 2nd and 8th November 2021. (Bookings opened and closed last Monday).

Although those flights were only from Singapore to Darwin, you just needed to get to Singapore, I believe there are daily flights from PP to Singers. Then you would quarantine at Howard Spring for 14 days.
Oh, and the price was "starting at $741.00 AUD per ticket, including departure taxes".

@atst , November 1st is political speak from Morrison to show that he's doing his bit. The reality is that the onus is on the States to achieve 80% vax rate, then the States can decide whether they want to open their borders to international flights. Smoke and mirrors!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic