Good News for Tourists - e-Visa available again

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Good News for Tourists - e-Visa available again

Post by Freightdog »

Kettles.

Europe seems to have decided that these aren't a standard requirement. I can think of one 50 room hotel, which has 5 or 6 guest kettles, available on request. Another 100+ room hotel that does not have any room kettles at all. The local hotels in Phnom Penh have all had kettles.
Surprisingly, I've not encountered many problems with these.

In Paris, the room kettles used to be replaced frequently as the various Chinese airlines' crews used to cook their noodles directly in the kettle. This despite a proper multi hob and mini kitchen, which was later disable as there were too many room fires due to them.
Almost as bad as the Kazakh hotels where the American crews frequently used to brew their coffee in the kettles, rendering all boiled water forever more to taste of coffee. Fucks with ones tea!

Regarding the new new normal, of quarantine and visas. Unless I'm mistaken, quarantine location is still assigned by the authorities, unless you have pre-booked. Is this not the case?
I have little desire to pay over the odds for a prebooked hotel, when the amenities of these hotels remain out of bounds. If I'm expected to be paying full rate, plus, I'd be expecting full use of swimming pools, saunas, massage, bars and social areas. Which clearly isn't quarantine.

Quarantine being something that must be endured en-route to being with my family, the lower rent hotels jumping on the pre-book bandwagon smacks of them trying to hold onto some of the minimum effort revenue they've become accustomed to.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:32 am
Bklynboy wrote:Do you think its safer to pre-book a quarantine hotel or enter with 1k?
I've just completed a stay at Toyoko-Inn.

I was actually pleasantly surprised when the latest regulations change was implemented, and applied to those currently in quarantine. We had PCR test#2 on 18th, and released about 24hrs later. Despite expectations, the local authorities had thought it through, which was a pleasant surprise.

My previous quarantines had accounted for some $1500 of the quarantine deposit. The latest, I guess will come to less than $800.

I was in fact eating only about one meal per day, over ten days. Given a seven day stay (seven being the short term understanding of the incubation period, so I'll not argue too much, just yet), I could very easily manage on minimal food supply from the hotel.

Disappointingly, the food was pretty mediocre at Toyoko, and so I would b hard pressed to select them as a pre-booking.

They had an A lA Carte menu. My first attempt at ordering from this resulted in a snotty reply from reception. The menu stated a closing time of 19:00hrs. I ordered at 18:45, to be informed that the restaurant closed at 18:00hrs. I was in possession of the old menu, supplied the day before by the hotel, directly to my room. The receptionist only said "what do you expect me to do, now?" Before telling me that she wasn't willing to talk to me any further.

My second attempt at ordering was initially hopeful, but about 10 minutes later, I was informed that they'd run out of supplies.
There wasn't a third attempt, although I did manage to acquire a bag of cashews for $8 and 2 bottles of Angkor.
The following day, we were released.

I'll not be book-marking the Toyoko; they don't even supply tea bags without a lot of haggling.

The fact of the matter is this-
With a reduced quarantine, unless your desire is to spend time in a hotel en-route to somewhere else in the kingdom, I'm sure most hardened travellers could pack sufficient dry supplies and MREs to get through a few days.
Tourist heaven it isn't, but the light at the end of the tunnel is a genuine sputtering candle.
On their website they promise a relatively large room of 53-59 m3. Are the rooms really that generous?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm @newkidontheblock , the e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa) is available to all Nationalities now, they amended the drop down list and added the countries that were missing the day after launch.

No need to bring an electric jug/kettle/water boiler whatever you call it, all the hotels being used for quarantine have in in the rooms.
Can’t get kettles in the USA and it’ll be the wrong voltage, which is why they don’t exist!
Unless he got one from Taiwan, but it wouldn’t work in the USA. Wrong voltage!

That’s why I’ve never moved to the USA. I need access to kettles. Stat.

(I read on the FB Kampot knob board some guy was moving to Sihanoukville because there’s no badminton courts in Kampot…ok)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:24 am On their website they promise a relatively large room of 53-59 m3. Are the rooms really that generous?
Toyoko, typical room
Two double beds,
table with 4 chairs, suitable for four adults to have a small meal
TV on a long dresser/table, with a chair
Full size fridge/freezer
Microwave on top.
Kitchen(ette) sink with small work surface

Very Small bathroom, with a Japanese button press multifunction bidet and orifice water massage.

It’s big enough, but I couldn’t attest to the floor area. Some of the Chinese were cramming 3 or 4 to a room.

Anik Boutique was bigger, both in terms of bed area and bathroom size, which had a large walk in shower.

I’m somewhat accustomed to hotel living, and none of these hotels are a problem from the point of view of space- at least for a solo traveller. Half length stays being an improvement. I’m sure if was locked up for a week, let alone two, there’d be a subtle reduction in people entering Cambodia, though.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

mannanman wrote:Can’t get kettles in the USA and it’ll be the wrong voltage, which is why they don’t exist!

Amazon is my friend in the USA. Many kettles are dual voltage. Mine is. Even comes with a universal plug adapter so it can fit Khmer power outlets, and a handy carry case.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

mannanman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:17 am
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:36 pm @newkidontheblock , the e-Visa (electronic online Tourist Visa) is available to all Nationalities now, they amended the drop down list and added the countries that were missing the day after launch.

No need to bring an electric jug/kettle/water boiler whatever you call it, all the hotels being used for quarantine have in in the rooms.
Can’t get kettles in the USA and it’ll be the wrong voltage, which is why they don’t exist!

(I read on the FB Kampot knob board some guy was moving to Sihanoukville because there’s no badminton courts in Kampot…ok)
Do you seriously think they don't make kettles for American consumption that operate on 110/120?? :please:

Most hotels / motels, even resorts do not supply kettles in the states ( its an asian thing)
they do supply ice buckets :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:39 pm
mannanman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:17 am

Do you seriously think they don't make kettles for American consumption that operate on 110/120?? :please:

Most hotels / motels, even resorts do not supply kettles in the states ( its an asian thing)
they do supply ice buckets :-)
You’re right Richard! (for once).
Not been there since the 90s, so I apologize for posting fake news, and apparently the USA has caught up with the rest of the former colonies and now there’s many kettles to choose from.
So you can boil water the *proper way but you’ll have to wait twice as long because of the voltage. :ROFL:

Funny. It took me by surprise that California still had analog phone network in the late 90s, which I was amazed at.
“Phone doesn’t work?”
“Yeah, you gotta pull the aerial up”
And when I realised there were no kettles I was crestfallen.

So back on topic. Can’t see tourists returning in big numbers for at least three years. Just in time for a worldwide crash.

*Proper way is on a gas hob but not very efficient or convenient, especially if you don’t have gas.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kettles in hotel rooms is not an Asian thang at all. From my most recent experience of the world, including a few flat earthers, there are many areas of the world unaccounted for. It's not just America and Asia. There's other bits that constitute the rest of the world; such as Europe, Africa (small little province that seems to occupy a disproportionate amount of some maps). That other bit of the Americas that confirm that while all US citizens may be Americans, not all Americans are from the US, to name a few.

And many of these places have also discovered kettles, and the benefits of boiling water separately, without it carrying the flavours and aromas of coffee.

Which reminds me of my Cousin's girlfriend, and her bestest Best friend. When making tea at my uncle's home (little place in England, not far from the queen), she placed the kettle squarely on the hob, and turned it on. The hob, that is.
Apparently, electricity in kettles is as alien to some of the USofAmerica persuasion as plastic is. The resulting molten mass of plastic on aunty's only just installed new hob was illuminating.

So, for the new traveller visiting far flung alien places-

Kettles can be made of plastic.
The funny cable thingy sticking out of the side is often used for applying power in the absence of a gas burner.
Kettles should not be considered a substitute for Coffee machines.
Tea is not made by dumping it in the harbour, irrespective of what the biggest tea party in history might have you think.
Asia is a bit more than just China and Japan.*

Ironies, galore
China used to be an ally, whereas Japan used to be an enemy. Despite atrocities, betrayals and other morally questionable behaviour, all of that switched again in under a decade, whereas the recent tensions have been ongoing for a bit longer.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:00 am Kettles.
Regarding the new new normal, of quarantine and visas. Unless I'm mistaken, quarantine location is still assigned by the authorities, unless you have pre-booked. Is this not the case?
ASQ Booking is required if applying for an e-Visa. If coming with a VAPG (Guarantee) Certificate, the guarantor is required to pre-book the ASQ Hotel for the invitee.

Other foreigners have the option of either a) Pre-booked ASQ hotel, no deposit on arrival, or b) Pay deposit on arrival and ride the mystery bus to the hotel allocated to your flight by the MoH

Reference Kettles...every review I have read of the Quarantine hotels being used in Cambodia has a kettle
BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 3:20 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:00 am Kettles.
ASQ Booking is required if applying for an e-Visa. If coming with a VAPG (Guarantee) Certificate, the guarantor is required to pre-book the ASQ Hotel for the invitee.

Other foreigners have the option of either a) Pre-booked ASQ hotel, no deposit on arrival, or b) Pay deposit on arrival and ride the mystery bus to the hotel allocated to your flight by the MoH

Reference Kettles...every review I have read of the Quarantine hotels being used in Cambodia has a kettle
-

Not to talk in circles but an e-visa is the tourist visa correct? I tried searching the website of Tokoyo Inn and Olympia City -- both websites DO NOT mention anything about a 7 day quarantine or any quarantine options

I feel a little hesitant booking a 7 day hotel stint if the website doesn't even mention anything about quarantine. I also emailed both hotels and haven't heard any response.

Are we supposed to just book the hotel on our own with no information about ASQ?
Also-- if booking at Toyoko or Olympia -- how do we get there? There are specific busses for each hotel?

SOrry for all the questions but one slip up and we can be screwed
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic