Good News for Tourists - e-Visa available again

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Good News for Tourists - e-Visa available again

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am
paul2d wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 6:48 am Insurance from Forte required for fully vaccinated? Any separate policy with lower costs for fully vaccinated?
Yes, still mandatory

@Bongmab69 the insurance is only for entry and initial period in Cambodia, up to a maximum 3 months.
That insurance policy is another example of the insidious corruption that has taken over the inbound traveller racket.
It is ONLY for Covid-19, yet charge way more than a full blown travellers insurance policy which lasts a year.

Furthermore, the benefits are tiny and won't cover your actual expenses. For example:

$75 a day for the hospital room. That won't be enough.

$320 a day for ICU. There's no way that will be enough, and it's only for 14 days, after which you better hurry up and die before you get buried in medical costs.

Air Ambulance: $5000. Like hell are they going to fly you anywhere.

Ground Ambulance: $5. Like hell are you going to get an ambulance for $5. A tuk tuk maybe.

The extras, where they really rob you blind, are capped at $150 a day for all treatment per disability (but they only cover Covid), there are only 4 Covid tests @$100 each covered. Diagnostics are are capped at a total of $450. There is nothing about drugs, dressings and wiping your ass while you are in your coma.

If you actually had to go to hospital with Covid and spent a FULL 14 DAYS in ICU, and you maxed out all your benefits of that Forte policy the total Forte would pay is $7435. As medical insurance goes, that is a piece of shit policy.

How much do you reckon Royal Phnom Penh, Calmette, or Raffles would charge for a 14 stay in their ICU?
Much much more than $320 a day. Raffles are $708 for a single room and a surprisingly cheap $888 for ICU, but that's just the bed!

https://www.rafflesmedicalgroup.com/ser ... oom-rates/

And finally, clause 7 of the declaration states:
I understand and accept that I will be responsible for any expenses that are not covered or exceed the limit of the Policy and will pay any uncovered or exceeded expenses to the Hospital directly before being discharged from the Hospital.
You better believe it...

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^ All very good points there Doc.
If you actually had to go to hospital with Covid and spent a FULL 14 DAYS in ICU, and you maxed out all your benefits of that Forte policy the total Forte would pay is $7435. As medical insurance goes, that is a piece of shit policy.

How much do you reckon Royal Phnom Penh, Calmette, or Raffles would charge for a 14 stay in their ICU?
Much much more than $320 a day. Raffles are $708 for a single room and a surprisingly cheap $888 for ICU, but that's just the bed!
I do wonder how this Forte insurance would work for tourists.

Firstly, it's well known Royal Phnom Penh and Raffles charges like wounded bulls. Calmette OTOH is a public hospital as is Soviet Friendship AFAIK and from what I've heard very basic in that you don't get a private room, you need friends and family to attend to you for food, cleaning et al. So, presumably much cheaper.

Secondly, I think with these medical insurance companies you're supposed to contact them beforehand for them to assess what to do. I suspect this is where they will advise/direct where you should go. And surprise, surprise I'd guess they will send you where the hospital charges are more commensurate with the coverage they provide in their policy. So it will be in a public hospital I think, not private and I'm surmising this is in line with the notion that this insurance is designed so as not to be a burden on the public purse.

As an aside, HE said last year that foreigner expats staying in the kingdom at the time would get free public hospital care for covid. https://cambodianess.com/article/hun-se ... -of-charge So, what happens if an expat leaves the country and then returns..let's say on a 12 mth visa extension, do they need to purchase this Forte insurance? Presumably they lose the free public hospital concession..

Also, as you know I now have expat hospital insurance which states it includes covid coverage but when I looked at the fine print, the policy I have will only cover amounts charged over $100,000.. So for me, I should def go to RPP hospital as they will have lovely nurses who will take care of me and get to that figure in no time.. :D
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 pm ^^ All very good points there Doc.

I do wonder how this Forte insurance would work for tourists.

Firstly, it's well known Royal Phnom Penh and Raffles charges like wounded bulls. Calmette OTOH is a public hospital as is Soviet Friendship AFAIK and from what I've heard very basic in that you don't get a private room, you need friends and family to attend to you for food, cleaning et al. So, presumably much cheaper.

Secondly, I think with these medical insurance companies you're supposed to contact them beforehand for them to assess what to do. I suspect this is where they will advise/direct where you should go. And surprise, surprise I'd guess they will send you where the hospital charges are more commensurate with the coverage they provide in their policy. So it will be in a public hospital I think, not private and I'm surmising this is in line with the notion that this insurance is designed so as not to be a burden on the public purse.

As an aside, HE said last year that foreigner expats staying in the kingdom at the time would get free public hospital care for covid. https://cambodianess.com/article/hun-se ... -of-charge So, what happens if an expat leaves the country and then returns..let's say on a 12 mth visa extension, do they need to purchase this Forte insurance? Presumably they lose the free public hospital concession..

Also, as you know I now have expat hospital insurance which states it includes covid coverage but when I looked at the fine print, the policy I have will only cover amounts charged over $100,000.. So for me, I should def go to RPP hospital as they will have lovely nurses who will take care of me and get to that figure in no time.. :D
Coverage:
In consideration of the payment of premium and the due observance and fulfilment of the terms and conditions of this Policy insofar as they relate to anything to be done or complied with by the Insured Person and subject to the terms, conditions, exclusions and memoranda contained herein or contained in the Certificate of Insurance

One wrong move and you get nothing

https://www.forteinsurance.com/covid-19-insurance/
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

They have updated the drop down list and all those countries which were previously missing have now been added. 👍🏾
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Oops

I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:53 pm They have updated the drop down list and all those countries which were previously missing have now been added. 👍🏾
Oh no, the Americans are coming...

Check please!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:27 pm ^^ All very good points there Doc.

^^^ I thought you read all the documents carefully?

Back to the Forte scam, I wouldn't go to a public hospital, even if Forte might pay the costs. And I suspect the thousands of people that were prepared to pay the huge airfares, and 2 week quarantine costs, will either have enough money to pay for a proper hospital (in the highlt unlikely event they will need it) and/or they will have a proper medical insurance policy with adequate coverage. Therefore the Forte policy is a worthless product, sold at an exorbitant price and to a captive market of people with about a 0% chance of making a claim.

I genuinely wonder if Forte has even received and paid a single claim on it's crappy product. It wouldn't surprise me if they have been taking hundreds of thousands of $'s in premiums and never paid a penny out in claims. However, I am sure they have other "miscellaneous expenses" (nudge nudge, wink wink) that are not normally found on the books of insurance companies.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:39 am Oops

How do we apply if we don't come from China?
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

atst wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:35 am
atst wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:39 am Oops

How do we apply if we don't come from China? seems only available is T type visa online
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I don't really get the Forte discussion. I've always assumed it's more or less just a scam and I sure hope everyone who comes to Cambodia has comprehensive health insurance from elsewhere anyway.

Mine includes Covid coverage up to the overall amount of coverage, so in the unlikely event that I'll need it, I'd be more worried about finding a decent hospital than about paying for it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic