Colin Powell, dies after complications from Covid-19

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Colin Powell, dies after complications from Covid-19

Post by nemo »

(CNN)Colin Powell, the first Black US secretary of state whose leadership in several Republican administrations helped shape American foreign policy in the last years of the 20th century and the early years of the 21st, has died from complications from Covid-19, his family said on Facebook. He was 84.

"General Colin L. Powell, former U.S. Secretary of State and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, passed away this morning due to complications from Covid 19," the Powell family wrote on Facebook.
"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," they said, noting he was fully vaccinated.
Powell was a distinguished and trailblazing professional soldier whose career took him from combat duty in Vietnam to becoming the first Black national security adviser during the end of Ronald Reagan's presidency and the youngest and first African American chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff under President George H.W. Bush. His national popularity soared in the aftermath of the US-led coalition victory during the Gulf War, and for a time in the mid-90s, he was considered a leading contender to become the first Black President of the United States. But his reputation would be forever stained when, as George W. Bush's first secretary of state, he pushed faulty intelligence before the United Nations to advocate for the Iraq War, which he would later call a "blot" on his record.
Though he never mounted a White House bid, when Powell was sworn in as Bush's secretary of state in 2001, he became the highest-ranking Black public official to date in the country, standing fourth in the presidential line of succession.
"I think it shows to the world what is possible in this country," Powell said of his history-making nomination during his Senate confirmation hearing. "It shows to the world that: Follow our model, and over a period of time from our beginning, if you believe in the values that espouse, you can see things as miraculous as me sitting before you to receive your approval."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/18/politics ... index.html
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Colin Powell, dies after complications from Covid-19

Post by nerdlinger »

Shame, he seemed like one of the decent ones.
boofhead
Expatriate
Australia

Post by boofhead »

Agreed re his decency. US politics is in need of more men of his caliber. Man enough to admit he was wrong on WMD. I remember him also as being an unashamed anti-Trump Republican which alone made him OK in my estimation.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

He declined presidential nomination.
What is it about Jamaica? Many consequential people seem to come from there.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Don't know how he was a decent person, the lying to the UN for the invasion of Iraq immediately comes to mind.

But his biography says he was just "following orders"
Organic Ed
Expatriate

Post by Organic Ed »

nemo wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:27 pm He declined presidential nomination.
Name more than 10 without the aid of Google.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

..Israel’s Health Ministry, said the vaccine also is 99.2% effective against preventing serious cases of COVID-19....

https://www.ajmc.com/view/what-we-re-re ... -survivors

Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Organic Ed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:30 pm
10 seems a notable amount for the population size.

Brian Lara, Sir Viv Richards, Usain Bolt (love the name), Harry Belafonte, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Colin Powell, Shelley-Anne Fraser-Pryce, Chris Gayle, Pattison, or if 2 names needed, Ziggy Marley
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Organic Ed
Expatriate

Post by Organic Ed »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:11 pm

Brian Lara, Sir Viv Richards, Usain Bolt (love the name), Harry Belafonte, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Colin Powell, Shelley-Anne Fraser-Pryce, Chris Gayle, Pattison, or if 2 names needed, Ziggy Marley
I knew I should have put a condition of no sportsman or musicians. Try again. Otherwise it looks like your trying to prove the Natural Talent myth.

PS You can't claim Colin Powell he was born in in New York. Otherwise you're going to have loads of people claiming Bob Marley and therefore Scotland being the home of reggae.
Last edited by Organic Ed on Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Organic Ed wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:30 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:11 pm

I knew I should have put a condition of no sportsman or musicians. Try again. Otherwise it looks like your trying to prove the Natural Talent myth.
No. I did what was asked, and wasn't attempting the latter because I have never heard of it.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic