A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Here's a fun raffle for you teachers out there! Roz is giving away 10 copies of her recent book, My First CV- a Step By Step Guide.

This is a great guide to share with your students to help them to write their first CV.

One of the winners will also get a free CV re-write! You can help decide who wins the grand prize, as the post of the winners with the most Karma points will get it.

https://my-first-cv.com/product/book/

Writing a CV is a daunting task for many high school students. They have trouble differentiating their skills from each other and have no clue how to get their CVs written up and to stand out from the rest of the applicants.

Your students will only have one chance to write their first CV[i/], so it's important that it impresses future employers. Roz's CV-writing book will help you teach students how to write a great first CV, giving them an advantage both now and in the future.

Give your students the gift of a lifetime by using Roz's book to guide them. In just one class, they can learn how to write a CV that will get them their dream job. Post 'IWANNAWIN' to get this resource right now. Winners in Cambodia will receive a hard copy of My First CV- a Step By Step Guide, and winners abroad will receive a digital copy.

And for clarity, this giveaway is not only for teachers, but anyone who wants to learn a solid method for writing their first CV. And if you only want to win the free CV re-write, just comment 'MYCVNEEDSHELP' and you'll be entered into winning the re-write only. :good:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by Ghostwriter »

Very nice, although in the land of cheap charlies, 10 free copies might end up in free scans for all.
When you're good at something, don't give it free, i'd say.
But she's a charitable soul, so i'm not surprised i guess.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by rozzieoz »

Ghostwriter wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:42 pm Very nice, although in the land of cheap charlies, 10 free copies might end up in free scans for all.
When you're good at something, don't give it free, i'd say.
But she's a charitable soul, so i'm not surprised i guess.
I can never win. If I charge, how dare I charge so much. If I give it away for free....that's no good either.

I'm fully aware that it will get shared around but I've never been able to 'out give' the universe. If every school in the world bought just one book, I'd be okay for several years ;)

The universe will reward me in its own way, money isn't the only measure of success. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

I'd be highly suspicious of a CV that arrived without an address on it. Certainly enough to make it an immediate candidate for the bin if I had a lot of CVs to get through.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm I'd be highly suspicious of a CV that arrived without an address on it. Certainly enough to make it an immediate candidate for the bin if I had a lot of CVs to get through.
Maybe, but some people are in transit. It doesn't mean they aren't good for a job. Experience, qualifications, visa status and work permits are far more important than temporary/permanent addresses.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Oh I'm sure there's plenty of good reasons for not having an address or pretty much any other detail, but there's also plenty of reasons why it could be a red flag.

If you've ever been in a situation where you've got 60+ CVs on your desk for one job, and you also have your own actual job to get done at the same time, then pretty much any reason to get that 60 down to a manageable 5-6 to invite to interview is attractive. At that initial stage of churning through a huge mountain of CVs to shortlist for interview, you're not looking for reasons to hire someone, you're looking for reasons to throw the application out.

It might not be fair, and there's plenty people will moralize and lecture at great length about how that's poor management, but it's the practical reality of the time pressures that are on a lot of people who've been asked to hire someone for their team. Typically the reason you're hiring in the first place is because you're short-staffed and struggling to keep up with project deadlines.

Your CV isn't there to get you the job, it's there to get you the interview.

(edit: related story - I once binned a CV that had an Oxford degree on it because it didn't feel like an Oxford grad's CV. Maybe I missed out on a crazy amazing hire, I'll never know. Probably didn't.)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:47 pm Your CV isn't there to get you the job, it's there to get you the interview.
:thumb: In a nutshell.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

nerdlinger wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:11 pm I'd be highly suspicious of a CV that arrived without an address on it. Certainly enough to make it an immediate candidate for the bin if I had a lot of CVs to get through.
This is a book aimed at school students, going for their first job. The education department specifically recommends that they don't include their address, for child safety reasons.
I include addresses on all other CVs.

Thanks for your input though :)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:15 pm
Maybe, but some people are in transit. It doesn't mean they aren't good for a job. Experience, qualifications, visa status and work permits are far more important than temporary/permanent addresses.
The book is written for SCHOOL STUDENTS who are going for their first job.
That's why it's called My First CV.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Are you hiring school students though?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic