A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by nerdlinger »

rozzieoz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:25 am The education department specifically recommends that they don't include their address, for child safety reasons.
Feels like a combination of arse-covering and hysteria on their part. I’m not sure the kind of scenario they think they’re protecting against is one that has any basis in reality.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: A Chance to Win Roz's New Book 'My First CV- a Step By Step Guide' to Help You and Your Students (RAFFLE)

Post by rozzieoz »

nerdlinger wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:45 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:32 am The point of this post is that I want to give some books to teachers, to help them teach their students to write CVs.
Are you a teacher?
Are you a student?

If not, then this post doesn't really apply to you.

I know you men can't help yourselves when it comes to giving advice that isn't asked for, but since the book is already written, I don't require any further input into the editorial content.
Thanks though.
I find this response very disappointing. As someone who has been on both sides of the hiring process I’m interested in discussions about the finer details of it, but your reaction seems be basically “you’re not allowed to talk about anything in the book because it’s not for you so shut up and get out of my thread”.
There's another whole thread about CVs, you're welcome to comment and discuss my methodology there.
There are also links to several of my YouTube videos, talking about CV requirements. I'm always happy to discuss what I do

BUT

This thread is specifically for giving away the book. :)
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

nerdlinger wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:47 am
rozzieoz wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:25 am The education department specifically recommends that they don't include their address, for child safety reasons.
Feels like a combination of arse-covering and hysteria on their part. I’m not sure the kind of scenario they think they’re protecting against is one that has any basis in reality.
I'm not sure, but several teachers pointed this out, when the original copy I wrote included address.
I sent it to several teacher friends for feedback and edited that section based on their input.
I'd rather err on the side of caution.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Got a question for you Roz, do you actually write CV's for a living or is it more of a side hustle for you? Obviously you're very good at it since I can see threads dating back years about it. I'll have to check out your book next time I'm seeking employment.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

The idea of writing CVs and having to essentially prostitute yourself in front of complete strangers in order to be given the opportunity to make them lots of money has always disgusted me to be honest. It's the one aspect of capitalism that I find demeaning and undignified, but I know that many don't agree with me.

That being said, I have always admired people who try to make it on their own, in whatever way they choose - writing a book on how to craft a good CV and building a business around helping people to do that that is a good example.

So in a strange way, I have lot of respect for what you've done and are doing, but I personally don't like the subject matter - not that that's your fault. There's clearly a market for it and you're just capitalising on that market, so good on you.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

It’s called life or working for a living.
Nothing to do with capitalism lol.
People of the world, spice up your life.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

mannanman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:25 am It’s called life or working for a living.
Nothing to do with capitalism lol.
It kind of is when you compare it to other other economic systems where the state has more control over the job you do - not that Im in any way advocating that as a preferable option.

Anyway, we're digressing from the point of the thread...
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Darkcel wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:11 am Got a question for you Roz, do you actually write CV's for a living or is it more of a side hustle for you? Obviously you're very good at it since I can see threads dating back years about it. I'll have to check out your book next time I'm seeking employment.
It's been my full time job for more than twelve years, I work 14+ hours a day writing CVs.
Most of my clients are South Africans, wanting to move overseas.

The book won't help you if you've got any sort of work history, the rules are very different ;)
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:57 am The idea of writing CVs and having to essentially prostitute yourself in front of complete strangers in order to be given the opportunity to make them lots of money has always disgusted me to be honest.
Prostituting myself????
I run a legitimate business, helping people to secure their future in a new country.

Are recruiters also prostituting themselves?
How about migration agents? Are they whores as well?

What a ridiculous attitude to business.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:21 am
xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:57 am The idea of writing CVs and having to essentially prostitute yourself in front of complete strangers in order to be given the opportunity to make them lots of money has always disgusted me to be honest.
Prostituting myself????
I run a legitimate business, helping people to secure their future in a new country.

Are recruiters also prostituting themselves?
How about migration agents? Are they whores as well?

What a ridiculous attitude to business.
I think he means the people who’s CV it is are prostitutes. So by that logic anyone who’s ever owned a CV are prostitutes.

If that would make the future employee or the CV writer a pimp I’d rather not ask for fear of falling off my chair laughing. :ROFL:

Bizarre.
“I’m not working for you because you’re going to make lots of money and quite frankly it’s not fair.”

Or

“Where your CV. It’s an interview for a job?”
“I don’t believe in CVs. Or vaccines. And don’t start me on big pharma or the lizards”
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic