COVID-19 Positive Test

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: COVID-19 Positive Test

Post by AndyKK »

Yerg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:58 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:34 am Doc there are those, nice with a bit of custard.
They’re just not Aunt Bessy’s!!!!
I know their not Aunt Bessy’s, but you know yourself that you may have to dig deep here to find something to take your fancy. But, just a small thought, having no smell nor taste, cheap eats, how many chicken feet and baby egg chicks could you get through at one sitting.
So, how are things with you now? Have you been treated with any medicines by the hospital?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

xandreu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:01 am Glad to hear you're not having too much of a hard time with it. I can't remember seeing if you wrote how old you are? Care to share? (or a ballpark figure)

And how is your health more generally? Any underlying conditions? Otherwise fit and healthy?
I'm 48, an ex-smoker (20 a day for 30'ish years) for just over 3 years. Arguably slightly overweight, but certainly not to the point of any health impact. No underlying health conditions. I'd never describe myself as "fit and healthy", but I suppose as I am not unfit and unhealthy... I certainly eat healthily, but the closest I get to exercise is my weekly walk to the pub on Saturdays :lol:
Last edited by Yerg on Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:50 pm
AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:34 am Doc there are those, nice with a bit of custard.
I know their not Aunt Bessy’s, but you know yourself that you may have to dig deep here to find something to take your fancy. But, just a small thought, having no smell nor taste, cheap eats, how many chicken feet and baby egg chicks could you get through at one sitting.
So, how are things with you now? Have you been treated with any medicines by the hospital?
I'm doing better every day. Apart from some paracetemol on days 4 & 5 of the symptoms, I haven't taken any medicines. I've had nothing prescribed. I haven't been to hospital and I haven't seen or spoken to a doctor.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:40 am Workers in Covid Wards / Hospitals work 2 weeks on, followed by another 2 weeks in quarantine at a hotel or other isolated location. Rinse and repeat.

Compensated by increased pay, of course.

At least this was when I last heard about it.
Daughter in law is a front line covid nurse in the UK, she got a touch of bronchitis, the hospital stud her down for 2 weeks with SSP statutory sick pay, there are no allowances left for workers in her position. Of course she struggled to pay her rent.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yerg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm
I'm doing better every day. Apart from some paracetemol on days 4 & 5 of the symptoms, I haven't taken any medicines. I've had nothing prescribed. I haven't been to hospital and I haven't seen or spoken to a doctor.
Sorry I just presumed, so positive test and take care of yourself.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:23 pm
Yerg wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:06 pm
Sorry I just presumed, so positive test and take care of yourself.
Pretty much Andy, however as an earlier post alluded to, there is very regular contact from NHS and Test & Trace via email and SMS. Many useful links to follow and plenty to read on how to take care of yourself at home. So it's not like you are "left to fend for yourself" as it were.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:20 pm
newkidontheblock wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:40 am Workers in Covid Wards / Hospitals work 2 weeks on, followed by another 2 weeks in quarantine at a hotel or other isolated location. Rinse and repeat.

Compensated by increased pay, of course.

At least this was when I last heard about it.
Daughter in law is a front line covid nurse in the UK, she got a touch of bronchitis, the hospital stud her down for 2 weeks with SSP statutory sick pay, there are no allowances left for workers in her position. Of course she struggled to pay her rent.
Paying a frontline Covid nurse SSP is a national shame!!! One of the many links sent to me, was how to claim the £500 Covid allowance if you struggle financially as a result of Covid. Has your DIL looked in to this?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Day 7 Symptom Update. A very slight cough, nothing to write home about. Compromised taste (it's nowhere near fully returned) and still zero sense of smell. That's about the sum of it.

I can't remember if I noted somewhere earlier, but once I tested positive, I was asked if I would be prepared to submit my blood samples for research. Well that kit arrived yesterday. It recommended a very warm shower or brief exercise before taking blood so that blood flow was increased, so being the lazy oaf I am, I opted for a scorching hot shower. Laid the kit out ready before my shower, all lined up ready to go. Come back, settle in. Pop the old pin-prick jobby in to my finger, cue unstemmable onrush of watery blood (bit of poetic licence there!!!) Got the stuff everywhere but the frigging little vial lol.

Anyhoo, barring a now sore digit, cos I got a self-inflicted boo-boo, I am allowed out of the house to drop the test into an NHS Priority-marked post box. As luck would have it, there's one of these in my village. And it's right next to the off-licence. Now the SMS didn't say I had to come straight home. It said I was allowed out. Now, to break the law or not???
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I would not have thought of you being that of someone who would consider to go against the law. Would the crime be of what nature, a few good pint's of English best bitter (I miss a good beer).
It's not just has simple thinking about should I or not! You know yourself with testing positive, that the Covid19 virus being what it is, can spread very easily from person to person, only problem is the other person who may catch the virus may not be lucky to walk to the post box like yourself. Being responsible for one's own actions goes a long way, especially with a pandemic situation.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:46 pm I would not have thought of you being that of someone who would consider to go against the law. Would the crime be of what nature, a few good pint's of English best bitter (I miss a good beer).
It's not just has simple thinking about should I or not! You know yourself with testing positive, that the Covid19 virus being what it is, can spread very easily from person to person, only problem is the other person who may catch the virus may not be lucky to walk to the post box like yourself. Being responsible for one's own actions goes a long way, especially with a pandemic situation.
Well Andy, the law says that the speed limit on the motorway is 70. I'd be lying if I tried to convince anyone that I hadn't broken that law. The trusty NHS SMS doesn't say I can't go anywhere else, nor does it say go home, straight away. Do not pass Go, do not collect £200 so to speak :lol: All that being said, I am pretty sure I can hold out until the weekly shop gets delivered tomorrow, along with my weekend beer order. I've not had a beer since Saturday, I am reasonably sure I can make it one more day ;-) I'm very aware of my social and civic responsibilities, and it would make me a hypocrite were I to throw all of that out the window for the sake of a few cans of beer lol
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic