COVID-19 Positive Test

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: COVID-19 Positive Test

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

I dont know your lifestyle, nor want to, but if you are or have been a smoker, inhalers can be useful. Along with all the other stuff I throw in, it is probably too late for you to start popping and inhaling, for it to take effect in time (could be wrong). I don't know anything about you - you could be older, but healthier than a youngster, or visa versa.

The bug is stronger than the stuff I ingest however, it can strengthen you, and millions of ants can kill a man. So, I was basically hurling furniture at an armed invader.

I don't know if it is "most", but it is certainly a lot, of people find out they have the Vid the hard way - symptomatically - as opposed to being tested positive, as is your case. So, your day count will differ slightly, regarding symptoms.

Incidently, although it would seemed apparent, I don't take much notice of the day number for deteriation/improvement; it happens when it happens.

Day 5 to 10, being the worst, usually, I think is from when the symptoms first started. If you are simply "fluey", with aches and fatigue, you probably only have 2 or 3 days left (assuming you take care, and totally isolate).

You will come out the other side with a stronger immunity to COVID, dependant on your level of sickness. Patients with a strong bout have stronger immunity after. In fact, the very mild cases and asymptomatics may have developed zero defence. So, if you get hit hard, without respiratory complications, you will be "Man-of-Steel" in a couple more days.

Not long now, and you will be disco dancing again.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Not the most exciting update today. The slightly elevated temperature has returned to normal. The discomfort in my back has all but gone. Absolutely no need to blow my nose today, as the sniffles have disappeared. And the chesty hack has returned to an annoying and niggly tickly cough. Most importantly, I can ALMOST taste my morning coffee. Out of curiosity, I did another home test and it has still come back positive.

Interestingly, the various bumph, SMS and emails from the testing bodies all state that there is no need to test again for 90 days after a positive result, so after today my next home test will be in January 2022!!! I've also signed up to take two home blood tests. One later this week and another in a couple of months. These are for the boffins carrying out antibody research, so am more than happy to do my bit... I mean, what's a small prick amongst friends??
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Good update, thanks.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I know it’s UK-centric on this one, but just had a call from the Test & Trace team. What started as a sympathetic call, asking how I was doing etc., the tone of the call took a rather (as I saw it) unpleasant turn. A stark reminder that failing to isolate is now a criminal offence, and that if I don’t isolate the full 10 days I’m liable for criminal prosecution and/or fines. No shit, Sherlock. It’s been all over the news and plastered all over your website, emails and SMS messages. I get they’re catering to the lowest common denominator, but sheesh!!!
Uncle-V
Expatriate
Croatia

Post by Uncle-V »

I hope you feel better soon. It sounds like you are moving towards recovery. fingers crossed.

I had it in August (despite being vaxed) and hardly had any symptoms besides congestion and feeling tired. No cough and fever only once. But it did drag on for a while and took me a long time to test negative. Mostly felt very tired and did not get back to being my active self (gym, nightlife) until a month or so after.

Best of luck!

PS: I hope that you have someone nice like your avatar to look after you ))
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm Not the most exciting update today. The slightly elevated temperature has returned to normal. The discomfort in my back has all but gone. Absolutely no need to blow my nose today, as the sniffles have disappeared. And the chesty hack has returned to an annoying and niggly tickly cough. Most importantly, I can ALMOST taste my morning coffee. Out of curiosity, I did another home test and it has still come back positive.

Interestingly, the various bumph, SMS and emails from the testing bodies all state that there is no need to test again for 90 days after a positive result, so after today my next home test will be in January 2022!!! I've also signed up to take two home blood tests. One later this week and another in a couple of months. These are for the boffins carrying out antibody research, so am more than happy to do my bit... I mean, what's a small prick amongst friends??
I was so relieved when my smell and taste came back. I had been reading that this is one of the symptoms that can drag on fully or partially for months. I also discovered that water did actually have some taste. For years I had always dismissed people as pompous twats when they droned on about Evian having a better taste that Peckham Springs or whatever poncy shite they were paying £4 for in a restaurant. I take it all back. Without taste, whatever you drink is just a fluid glugging down your neck, and that was the weirdest feeling.

Glad you're over the worst.

I notice the infection rate and death rate in the UK is surging - again - and hear that facemasks and all social distancing has been abandoned. Plus the booster programme is either slow or people are not bothering. What's going on over there?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:26 am
Yerg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:22 pm Not the most exciting update today. The slightly elevated temperature has returned to normal. The discomfort in my back has all but gone. Absolutely no need to blow my nose today, as the sniffles have disappeared. And the chesty hack has returned to an annoying and niggly tickly cough. Most importantly, I can ALMOST taste my morning coffee. Out of curiosity, I did another home test and it has still come back positive.

I was so relieved when my smell and taste came back. I had been reading that this is one of the symptoms that can drag on fully or partially for months. I also discovered that water did actually have some taste. For years I had always dismissed people as pompous twats when they droned on about Evian having a better taste that Peckham Springs or whatever poncy shite they were paying £4 for in a restaurant. I take it all back. Without taste, whatever you drink is just a fluid glugging down your neck, and that was the weirdest feeling.

Glad you're over the worst.

I notice the infection rate and death rate in the UK is surging - again - and hear that facemasks and all social distancing has been abandoned. Plus the booster programme is either slow or people are not bothering. What's going on over there?
Fears grow in England over rise of new Covid Delta variant

A newly detected coronavirus variant is on the rise in England, with the virus believed to be an offshoot of the Delta variant. According to a briefing from the UK Health Security Agency, released on Friday, “a Delta sublineage newly designated as AY.4.2 is noted to be expanding in England”, with the body adding that the variant is being monitored and assessed.

The report states that in the week beginning 27 September – the last week for which complete sequencing data was available – AY.4.2 accounted for about 6% of sequenced coronavirus cases and is “on an increasing trajectory”.

AY.4.2 contains two mutations in its spike protein, called A222V and Y145H. The spike protein sits on the outside of the coronavirus and helps the virus to enter cells.

However, Prof Ravi Gupta, professor of clinical microbiology at the University of Cambridge, told the Guardian these mutations were not of particular concern. “A222V has been seen in other lineages of Delta,” he said. “It doesn’t have a really large effect on the virus.”

Gupta added similar mutations to Y145H had been seen in the Alpha variant and other variants. While these appear to have an effect on the binding between antibodies and the virus, Gupta said the effect was, at most, modest.

“But in my mind, these are not really significant mutations,” he said. “We need to look further at what the non-spike mutations are.”

In the past, new Covid variants have fuelled large surges in the number of cases – the Alpha variant played a key role in rising cases last winter, while the Delta variant took off and led to sharp increases in the spring. Daily Covid cases in England are rising once again: 39,624 new Covid cases were reported on Saturday, the highest figure since late July.

According to the Financial Times, Jeffrey Barrett, the director of the Covid-19 Genomics Initiative at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in Cambridge, and Francois Balloux, the director of the University College London Genetics Institute, have suggested AY.4.2 could be 10-15% more transmissible than the original Delta variant.

However, they urged caution. “Britain is the only country in which it has taken off in this way and I still would not rule out its growth being a chance demographic event,” Balloux told the FT.

Balloux told the Guardian the new variant was unlikely to be behind the recent rise in cases.

“Its potential higher transmissibility could at this stage only explain a tiny fraction of additional cases,” he said. “It’s around 10% frequency [now], and assuming it may be 10% more transmissible, that would only explain an additional 1% extra infections [every five or so days].”

Gupta said the focus on a new variant is missing the point, noting a number of other important factors including the slow rollout of jabs to older children. According to official figures, vaccination rates among 12- to 15-year-olds were about three times lower in England than Scotland.

“We shouldn’t be blaming the virus for what is going on in the UK,” said Gupta. “It is because we have fundamentally failed to control transmission, and that is because kids are vulnerable, they have not been vaccinated, they are back at school, they are spreading virus among themselves and they are feeding it into their families.”

All this, he added, was happening with Delta dominant, which research had shown had greater ability to evade an immune response than the Alpha variant.

“It breaks through the vaccines anyway, so vaccines protects you partially from an infection being transmitted but it is not complete protection,” he said. “So the message needs to be, let’s stop worrying about mutations and worry about the fact we have uncontrolled transmission in the UK.”

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/europe/top-st ... d=msedgntp
Always "hope" but never "expect".
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Quote - “So the message needs to be, let’s stop worrying about mutations and worry about the fact we have uncontrolled transmission in the UK.”

And there lies the problem anywhere, one good example here is uncontrolled border crossing.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Yerg, you've made it through the worse part, so hang in there. Good news is you're statistically certain to be A-O-K in no time. :good:
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Yerg wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:53 pm I know it’s UK-centric on this one, but just had a call from the Test & Trace team. What started as a sympathetic call, asking how I was doing etc., the tone of the call took a rather (as I saw it) unpleasant turn. A stark reminder that failing to isolate is now a criminal offence, and that if I don’t isolate the full 10 days I’m liable for criminal prosecution and/or fines. No shit, Sherlock. It’s been all over the news and plastered all over your website, emails and SMS messages. I get they’re catering to the lowest common denominator, but sheesh!!!
They’ve got a script and call 100s a day. It’s nothing personal!
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic