COVID-19 Positive Test

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: COVID-19 Positive Test

Post by AndyKK »

Kids are little sods for spreading those general viruses around too one another. My largest strategy here in Cambodia is too keep away from crowds. Best of luck to you, hope you recover quickly.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Symptom update. Taste and smell have gone, Sunday lunch ruined as I couldn’t smell or taste it.

And an ache in the lower back. Best described as uncomfortable rather than painful.

Also learned today that two more of my colleagues at work both tested positive today.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Workers in Covid Wards / Hospitals work 2 weeks on, followed by another 2 weeks in quarantine at a hotel or other isolated location. Rinse and repeat.

Compensated by increased pay, of course.

At least this was when I last heard about it.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Symptom Update: The onset of a progressively worse cough and painful chest is surprisingly rapid. In approximately 12 hours it's gone from an annoying tickly cough to a full-on chesty hack. Chest feels tighter than normal and I can 'hear' my breathing, if that makes any sense? The runny nose has gone, but replaced with a mild rise in temperature. The back discomfort remains, but hasn't worsened. I can not begin to describe how bland the world is when you can not taste or smell anything. Morning coffee tastes like... hot water, so far as I can tell...
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean others can't smell you. Remember to have a wash haha

Hope you're on the mend soon.
Gazzy
Expatriate
South Africa

Post by Gazzy »

Yerg wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:22 pm Symptom Update: The onset of a progressively worse cough and painful chest is surprisingly rapid. In approximately 12 hours it's gone from an annoying tickly cough to a full-on chesty hack. Chest feels tighter than normal and I can 'hear' my breathing, if that makes any sense? The runny nose has gone, but replaced with a mild rise in temperature. The back discomfort remains, but hasn't worsened. I can not begin to describe how bland the world is when you can not taste or smell anything. Morning coffee tastes like... hot water, so far as I can tell...
I think this is really interesting, getting this information straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. Looking forward to your updates Yerg. Thanks for sharing.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

A quick word about the NHS in all of this. For a cumbersome often slow organisation, from the moment those two black lines appeared on my test, everything has slotted in to place very quickly. From reporting the positive result yesterday, less than 5 minutes later, a notification came through to book a PCR test. Booked a test that was less than 30 minutes from the time I booked it. Tested at 10.30am yesterday, email and SMS notifications by 5am this morning confirming test result. (Need these confirmations in order to get paid sick pay instead of SSP!!!)

Within 10-15 minutes of the confirmation SMS that my PCR test was positive, NHS Track & Trace message came through. Click on the link, easy to navigate website, quick, efficient. Just wow!! All contacts loaded, and doubtless they are all being pinged as we speak.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Yerg wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:22 pm Symptom Update: The onset of a progressively worse cough and painful chest is surprisingly rapid. In approximately 12 hours it's gone from an annoying tickly cough to a full-on chesty hack. Chest feels tighter than normal and I can 'hear' my breathing, if that makes any sense? The runny nose has gone, but replaced with a mild rise in temperature. The back discomfort remains, but hasn't worsened. I can not begin to describe how bland the world is when you can not taste or smell anything. Morning coffee tastes like... hot water, so far as I can tell...
I have been where you are. Surely you were informed of what lies ahead, or at least given some literature?

You did mention that you were in and out in minutes.

I gather you are on Day 2 or 3 of symptoms (testing positive). Correct me if I am wrong, because a few days makes a difference.

At day 3, I actually thought I had brushed off a strong cold, or mild flu (I don't do doctors).

Oh, how wrong I was.

"Batten down the hatches. All hands on deck!

Flossy-few-pants; there's a shopping list for you at reception. Margarine (I don't remember names well); there's a pharmacy list at reception. $10 tip, minus $1 for every 2 minutes over 40 minutes it takes you to report back here (written in khmer)".

Stocked up, I waited. Bring it on, you slimy coward parasite, picking-on-the-vulnerable, Mother-fucker! If you can beat me, you'll know you've been in a fight!

Days 5 through 10 are telling. Wake up, drink, eat (appetite never lost, and while I didn't mind starving the dirty oyster-producing germ within, I also wanted nutritional strength to smack the cunt whenever it reared its ugly head), and back to sleep. While you need sleep (and it kills the time), lying down aint good - yet another catch 22! - but lying on your side or, preferably, belly (another should I, shouldn't I) opens up your lung capacity, as your heart and stomach are no longer pressing down on your lungs. Your lungs' air sacks are no longer obstructed from full inflation.

Weird dreams, possibly not, simply remembered, after short naps.

Getting the room temperature right is tricky. Don't wanna be cold and there's is no evidence to say sweating it out works - only proof that sweating out fluids makes things worse - so I adjusted the a/c regularly. Humidifier would be good. Maybe anti-

I beat that thing up every waking hour with zinc, B12 paracetamol, phenylephrine HCI, chloro-something, ibuprofen, unpronouncables... Didn't try remdesivir and don't recommend you follow my actions because everyone is different. Also timing the taking of said meds should be accounted for e.g. Mg is a sedative, so night (or whnever you sleep) time, and others don't get along well. You will have plenty of time to research (experiment, in my case).
When I say "waking hour", that is pretty much what it is in the thick of it, without meds.

The lower back was the bastard!

Anyway, I chose to relieve the aches and other symptoms with meds combined with Magnesium and Zinc and B12 and nutritious food.

I am 58.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Yerg wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:55 am Symptom update. Taste and smell have gone, Sunday lunch ruined as I couldn’t smell or taste it.

And an ache in the lower back. Best described as uncomfortable rather than painful.

Also learned today that two more of my colleagues at work both tested positive today.
I had it a few months ago, total 100% loss of smell and taste, it's very strange. I had no no other symptoms orher than what I thought was a mild hangover. It returned in 3 days.

Get well soon mate.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:59 pm

I gather you are on Day 2 or 3 of symptoms (testing positive). Correct me if I am wrong, because a few days makes a difference.

Today is Day 4 of symptoms. First day of any (admittedly very mild) symptoms was Friday 15th, which I mistakenly put down to the flu jab I had that morning. I tested last Wednesday (13th), that was negative. I tested Sunday 17th, positive. I get what you're saying about the balancing of the temperature. My preference is for slightly too cold than slightly too warm. Window wide open on this crisp autumnal day, plenty of cool fresh air to blow these bastard germs away. I'm relying solely on Paracetemol and VitC bombs. And coffee, albeit rather pointless so far as taste goes lol. 25th October is my last day of isolating according to the powers that be...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic