International bank transfer

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: International bank transfer

Post by Kammekor »

Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm Most EU transfers to Cambodia are routed through the USA. USA law prescribes the full name and date of birth is in the transfer description or they will not pass it on.
There's no such "USA law". I receive many international transfers both from and via the US, and none of the senders has my date of birth.

This is more likely a name mismatch, which happens easily.
I know it's weird. I make worldwide business transfers several times only without trouble (and without DoB of course), but for a private transfer from my private account in an EU bank into my private Cambodian account it's apparently a requirement as per my experience and the research my bank did.
Thegreatreset
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Thegreatreset »

I understand but it was from a commercial bank account in France to my private account in Cambodia. Also I am the only one with my name in the world.
And why would they return the money minus 100 dollars?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Thegreatreset wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 pm I understand but it was from a commercial bank account in France to my private account in Cambodia. Also I am the only one with my name in the world.
US intermediary banks generally take a fee from EU- Cambodia transfers. In my case 25$ for transfers up to 10k.

If the money reached ABA the amount was most probably already 25 USD (maybe more) lower because of the intermediary bank fee. If ABA returned the money through the intermediary bank the intermediary bank took a piece of the pie again. Maybe ABA also took some for their 'work'. Maybe it never reached them and it's just intermediary bank fees.

Ask ABA.
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

Open Wise account and get paid there and send yourself to ABA.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:42 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:29 pm
Kammekor wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:49 pm Most EU transfers to Cambodia are routed through the USA. USA law prescribes the full name and date of birth is in the transfer description or they will not pass it on.
There's no such "USA law". I receive many international transfers both from and via the US, and none of the senders has my date of birth.

This is more likely a name mismatch, which happens easily.
I know it's weird. I make worldwide business transfers several times only without trouble (and without DoB of course), but for a private transfer from my private account in an EU bank into my private Cambodian account it's apparently a requirement as per my experience and the research my bank did.
That looks more like a rule of that particular intermediary bank though. I just received a transfer from Ireland, via the USA, and the sender definitely has no knowledge of my date of birth. Also, none of my US banks has a form that includes the DOB of the recipient for outbound international transfers. What they do seem to be more anal about nowadays is the residential address - it better matches whatever the bank has on record.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:19 pm
Thegreatreset wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:08 pm I understand but it was from a commercial bank account in France to my private account in Cambodia. Also I am the only one with my name in the world.
US intermediary banks generally take a fee from EU- Cambodia transfers. In my case 25$ for transfers up to 10k.

If the money reached ABA the amount was most probably already 25 USD (maybe more) lower because of the intermediary bank fee. If ABA returned the money through the intermediary bank the intermediary bank took a piece of the pie again. Maybe ABA also took some for their 'work'. Maybe it never reached them and it's just intermediary bank fees.

Ask ABA.
The OP should be happy that ABA sent it back and didn't just leave it languishing in an unallocated cash account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:50 am

Ask ABA.
The OP should be happy that ABA sent it back and didn't just leave it languishing in an unallocated cash account.
in thai they have a saying, “ som nanña “ ya “ Som namÿa )
Can’t remember exactly ) , my thai is getting rustier the longer i am here ,
Sonnanya or is that’s what you get , that’s what you deserve ,
Like sticking your tongue out at a person.
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
Thegreatreset
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Thegreatreset »

I changed my strategy of getting money into Cambodia and asked my bank from Austria ( Erste Bank ) to ship my new ATM card to Cambodia.
For some reason they are very reluctant to use DHL which is a very reputable company and of course, I would pay all the occurring fees.
What other options do I have?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

pissontheroof wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:35 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:50 am

Ask ABA.
in thai they have a saying, “ som nanña “ ya “ Som namÿa )
Can’t remember exactly ) , my thai is getting rustier the longer i am here ,
Som Nam Na (สมน้ำหน้า)

Your "Thai" signature (พิซออนเดอรูฟ) is piss-perfect though, I always got to smile when I see it. :ROFL:
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Thegreatreset wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:57 pm I changed my strategy of getting money into Cambodia and asked my bank from Austria ( Erste Bank ) to ship my new ATM card to Cambodia.
For some reason they are very reluctant to use DHL which is a very reputable company and of course, I would pay all the occurring fees.
What other options do I have?
If the bank won't DHL the card to you, the other way is to get a friend or family to get your new card from your letter box in your home country and then get them to DHL it to you. My friend did this for me and included it as part of a package with other stuff from Australia. DHL checked everything in the package and found the card but because it was in the original bank issuer envelope and had not been activated, they accepted it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic