Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway

Post by Chad Sexington »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am
Alex wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:18 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 pm Instead of outlawing arms and insinuating that the good people who bear them are potential criminals, converting to Islam should be outlawed. Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.
I think many would find that offensive including Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) but you'll say it's a joke or a metaphor right?
Wrong, why would I say that? I don't care if you or anyone else finds it offensive. Anyone who isn't born into Islam (which can be excused as having no choice) and makes the conscious (lol) decision to convert is at the very least nuts. I know what I would do with them, but let's not take this further.
Well, I thought you would say that as a joke or a metaphor because your assertion 'Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.' is a gross generalisation and simply not true. It also smacks as discriminatory on the grounds of religious belief. Would you say the same about a convert to Buddhism or Catholicism?
So we shouldn’t call out the those (not all of them obviously) dangerous extremist crazies who follow Islam because it’s discriminatory on grounds of religious belief? I disagree, a spade is a spade, and it’s not discrimination if it’s true. As for gross generalizations of that religion? you may have a point, but it might happen less, if more of the non violent majority of Muslims would stand up and condemn that minority of followers who do carry out atrocities, and especially those carried out against women and children, and in the name of their religion. It’s natural to assume that if most won’t condemn them, that they must support them?
Using Cat Stevens as proof that western converts to Islam are not dangerous? he is hardly a typical example, more an exception to the rule, the majority of western converts appear to be oddball and/or angry young men who feel marginalized for whatever reason and have an axe to grind.
I can’t speak for converts to Buddhism, but I’d question the sanity/motives of any adult who converted to Catholicism, knowing what we do about that organization.
Personally I have no time for religions, I’m staunch atheist, however I have no problem with those who choose to follow them peacefully. On the other hand I have nothing but contempt for those who use them to take advantage of others, or who think their religion makes them superior to, more worthy than, or would wish to harm, those who do not share their faith.
My 2 cents.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Chad Sexington wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am
Alex wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:18 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 pm Instead of outlawing arms and insinuating that the good people who bear them are potential criminals, converting to Islam should be outlawed. Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.
I think many would find that offensive including Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) but you'll say it's a joke or a metaphor right?
Wrong, why would I say that? I don't care if you or anyone else finds it offensive. Anyone who isn't born into Islam (which can be excused as having no choice) and makes the conscious (lol) decision to convert is at the very least nuts. I know what I would do with them, but let's not take this further.
Well, I thought you would say that as a joke or a metaphor because your assertion 'Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.' is a gross generalisation and simply not true. It also smacks as discriminatory on the grounds of religious belief. Would you say the same about a convert to Buddhism or Catholicism?
So we shouldn’t call out the those (not all of them obviously) dangerous extremist crazies who follow Islam because it’s discriminatory on grounds of religious belief? I disagree, a spade is a spade, and it’s not discrimination if it’s true. As for gross generalizations of that religion? you may have a point, but it might happen less, if more of the non violent majority of Muslims would stand up and condemn that minority of followers who do carry out atrocities, and especially those carried out against women and children, and in the name of their religion. It’s natural to assume that if most won’t condemn them, that they must support them?
Using Cat Stevens as proof that western converts to Islam are not dangerous? he is hardly a typical example, more an exception to the rule, the majority of western converts appear to be oddball and/or angry young men who feel marginalized for whatever reason and have an axe to grind.
I can’t speak for converts to Buddhism, but I’d question the sanity/motives of any adult who converted to Catholicism, knowing what we do about that organization.
Personally I have no time for religions, I’m staunch atheist, however I have no problem with those who choose to follow them peacefully. On the other hand I have nothing but contempt for those who use them to take advantage of others, or who think their religion makes them superior to, more worthy than, or would wish to harm, those who do not share their faith.
My 2 cents.
Our posts may have crossed being 6 mins apart and I summarised my view on why the post is offensive and discriminatory and based on prejudice in my later post post517951.html#p517951.

Specifically re your question:
So we shouldn’t call out the those (not all of them obviously) dangerous extremist crazies who follow Islam because it’s discriminatory on grounds of religious belief?
You've sort of answered your own question as per bold above. Of course, we should call out the extremist crazies that commit crimes like in this topic. But sweeping statements that ALL western converts to Islam are nuts, dangerous or both and that it should be outlawed (ie inferring criminals) is not on as it doesn't apply to all.

Re your point
the majority of western converts appear to be oddball and/or angry young men who feel marginalized for whatever reason and have an axe to grind
I think a lot of the thinking around this is skewed because we hear about these cases on the media. We don't hear about the converts that don't cause any trouble and peacefully go about their business and faith as law abiding citizens.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Perhaps Muslims say similar things about Christians given their predilection to murder noncombatants by drones in rather large numbers.
Where it comes to Muslim terror- best call it what it is- salafist or wahabi- considered by most Muslims to be heretic madmen.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:45 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am No, he's specifically talking about western converts to Islam who he claims are all nutters and dangerous (implying murderers and terrorists).
To be precise, I claimed nutters OR dangerous, OR both. Not all nutters are dangerous.

As for your follow-up question: Personally, I don't have any issues with Western guys who convert to Buddhism. If it makes them happy, so be it. There's nothing intrinsically evil about Buddhism.

Glad that you also asked about Catholicism, as I was born into that crap myself. I'd say Catholic clerics are just as evil as their Muslim brothers, or would be if they were still allowed to have it their way. I think you'd have to be nuts to convert to Catholicism as an educated adult, knowing everything there is to know about the Catholic Church and its crimes.

I find the concept of religion horribly outdated and have no use for it myself, but I can understand how someone who was raised within a religious environment might never question it later on in life. What I don't get are people, converts or otherwise, who "find" religion late in life with fully grown brains.
Well the above is your opinion, yet your original post wasn't stated that way, rather, it was a sweeping generalisation expressed as a statement of fact.

Furthermore, it's clearly a false, untrue assertion and based on prejudice. That, together with the inference that such converts are criminals (aka 'converting to Islam should be outlawed'), makes it offensive and discriminatory.

Anyway, we don't need this sort of nonsense posting on CEO and I will delete any more like this that come up.
Arguing religion with a religious person is like arguing with the village idiot. You couldn't prove my point better than by deleting my posts, please go ahead.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:40 am
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:45 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am No, he's specifically talking about western converts to Islam who he claims are all nutters and dangerous (implying murderers and terrorists).
To be precise, I claimed nutters OR dangerous, OR both. Not all nutters are dangerous.

As for your follow-up question: Personally, I don't have any issues with Western guys who convert to Buddhism. If it makes them happy, so be it. There's nothing intrinsically evil about Buddhism.

Glad that you also asked about Catholicism, as I was born into that crap myself. I'd say Catholic clerics are just as evil as their Muslim brothers, or would be if they were still allowed to have it their way. I think you'd have to be nuts to convert to Catholicism as an educated adult, knowing everything there is to know about the Catholic Church and its crimes.

I find the concept of religion horribly outdated and have no use for it myself, but I can understand how someone who was raised within a religious environment might never question it later on in life. What I don't get are people, converts or otherwise, who "find" religion late in life with fully grown brains.
Well the above is your opinion, yet your original post wasn't stated that way, rather, it was a sweeping generalisation expressed as a statement of fact.

Furthermore, it's clearly a false, untrue assertion and based on prejudice. That, together with the inference that such converts are criminals (aka 'converting to Islam should be outlawed'), makes it offensive and discriminatory.

Anyway, we don't need this sort of nonsense posting on CEO and I will delete any more like this that come up.
Arguing religion with a religious person is like arguing with the village idiot. You couldn't prove my point better than by deleting my posts, please go ahead.
No, that's your assumption, I'm not religious at all. But that's not what this is about.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

nemo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:36 pm Perhaps Muslims say similar things about Christians given their predilection to murder noncombatants by drones in rather large numbers.
Where it comes to Muslim terror- best call it what it is- salafist or wahabi- considered by most Muslims to be heretic madmen.
Abrahamic religions are at the root of the world's greatest perpetual clusterfucks

Ban them all, let's get back to worshiping the sun
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

If you look at the symbolism in those religions the solar and calendric origins are obvious- the cross with the solstitial and equinoctial cognates for example.
The death and 3 day pause for resurrection of the Sun/Son also match the apparent maximum southerly progress of the December 21 sunrise, which heads north again on December 25.
Many of the mythological motifs that compose religions have meanings nearly lost to us today.
Completely obscure to the followers unfortunately.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic