Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Multiple people killed in suspected bow and arrow attack in Norway

Post by Alex »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 pm Instead of outlawing arms and insinuating that the good people who bear them are potential criminals, converting to Islam should be outlawed. Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.
I think many would find that offensive including Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) but you'll say it's a joke or a metaphor right?
Wrong, why would I say that? I don't care if you or anyone else finds it offensive. Anyone who isn't born into Islam (which can be excused as having no choice) and makes the conscious (lol) decision to convert is at the very least nuts. I know what I would do with them, but let's not take this further.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm I think many would find that offensive including Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) but you'll say it's a joke or a metaphor right?
Uttering the name Cat Stevens offends me. My parents played that crap when I was a child.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:18 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:48 pm
Alex wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:22 pm Instead of outlawing arms and insinuating that the good people who bear them are potential criminals, converting to Islam should be outlawed. Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.
I think many would find that offensive including Yusuf Islam (aka Cat Stevens) but you'll say it's a joke or a metaphor right?
Wrong, why would I say that? I don't care if you or anyone else finds it offensive. Anyone who isn't born into Islam (which can be excused as having no choice) and makes the conscious (lol) decision to convert is at the very least nuts. I know what I would do with them, but let's not take this further.
Well, I thought you would say that as a joke or a metaphor because your assertion 'Every single Western convert to Islam is nuts, dangerous, or both.' is a gross generalisation and simply not true. It also smacks as discriminatory on the grounds of religious belief. Would you say the same about a convert to Buddhism or Catholicism?
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Post by ItWasntMe »

Recent news says he used a knife for the killings. No bow and arrow there though he did wound some people that way.

So I guess bow and arrow can remain legal :unknown:
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Railroad
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Railroad »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am ...discriminatory on the grounds of religious belief.
I know this is sposed to be illegal in Western countries, when you're offerin' employment, education & all that.
But I don't think you can stop people 'discriminating' about who they wanna be friends with, who they hook up with, who they comment about on websites..

Obviously one can't choose one's race, skin-colour, gender & stuff.
But religious belief, you CAN choose..
..& here the accused poster was specifically talkin' bout "people what have switched religious belief".

:friends:
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am Would you say the same about a convert to Buddhism or Catholicism?
White guys that convert to Buddhism can sometimes be annoying, while White guys that go Muslim produce a higher rate of crazy. Not all etc etc.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Railroad wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:57 am
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:44 am ...discriminatory on the grounds of religious belief.
I know this is sposed to be illegal in Western countries, when you're offerin' employment, education & all that.
But I don't think you can stop people 'discriminating' about who they wanna be friends with, who they hook up with, who they comment about on websites..

Obviously one can't choose one's race, skin-colour, gender & stuff.
But religious belief, you CAN choose..
..& here the accused poster was specifically talkin' bout "people what have switched religious belief".

:friends:
No, he's specifically talking about western converts to Islam who he claims are all nutters and dangerous (implying murderers and terrorists).
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am No, he's specifically talking about western converts to Islam who he claims are all nutters and dangerous (implying murderers and terrorists).
To be precise, I claimed nutters OR dangerous, OR both. Not all nutters are dangerous.

As for your follow-up question: Personally, I don't have any issues with Western guys who convert to Buddhism. If it makes them happy, so be it. There's nothing intrinsically evil about Buddhism.

Glad that you also asked about Catholicism, as I was born into that crap myself. I'd say Catholic clerics are just as evil as their Muslim brothers, or would be if they were still allowed to have it their way. I think you'd have to be nuts to convert to Catholicism as an educated adult, knowing everything there is to know about the Catholic Church and its crimes.

I find the concept of religion horribly outdated and have no use for it myself, but I can understand how someone who was raised within a religious environment might never question it later on in life. What I don't get are people, converts or otherwise, who "find" religion late in life with fully grown brains.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Although i think that a conversion to Islam is an odd thing for a grown-up westerner who's supposed to have a more balanced will to engage himself into an absolute, it's also a weird thing to see the involvment of the same demographics into other weird cults with bad results, from their own homeland.

It's a bit funny to read specifically Americans posters bitching specifically about Islam on this one when north America itself is basically a launching site for any kind of cults, with regular tragedies. Yeah i know, 9/11.....Waco too. Yet swearing on the bible.

It's more about over-confidence, inflated egos, lack of self-awareness, lack of communication that kills, in the long run.
Religions are full of that at management level, so is America from what i can see, and so goes the world, in a general attitude.

Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Alex wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:40 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:14 am No, he's specifically talking about western converts to Islam who he claims are all nutters and dangerous (implying murderers and terrorists).
To be precise, I claimed nutters OR dangerous, OR both. Not all nutters are dangerous.

As for your follow-up question: Personally, I don't have any issues with Western guys who convert to Buddhism. If it makes them happy, so be it. There's nothing intrinsically evil about Buddhism.

Glad that you also asked about Catholicism, as I was born into that crap myself. I'd say Catholic clerics are just as evil as their Muslim brothers, or would be if they were still allowed to have it their way. I think you'd have to be nuts to convert to Catholicism as an educated adult, knowing everything there is to know about the Catholic Church and its crimes.

I find the concept of religion horribly outdated and have no use for it myself, but I can understand how someone who was raised within a religious environment might never question it later on in life. What I don't get are people, converts or otherwise, who "find" religion late in life with fully grown brains.
Well the above is your opinion, yet your original post wasn't stated that way, rather, it was a sweeping generalisation expressed as a statement of fact.

Furthermore, it's clearly a false, untrue assertion and based on prejudice. That, together with the inference that such converts are criminals (aka 'converting to Islam should be outlawed'), makes it offensive and discriminatory.

Anyway, we don't need this sort of nonsense posting on CEO and I will delete any more like this that come up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic