Kampot Woman Followed Home and Robbed

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Kampot Woman Followed Home and Robbed

Post by Lost50 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:37 pm Entering someone's home silently when there are dogs around?

but then...
Yes the whole story sounds fabricated to me.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

I don't think the story was fabricated, I just think the victim is posting emotionally and not really thinking before typing.

Kampot has definitely witnessed a sharp increase in petty, and sometimes violent, crime in the past year, and foreigners are only a small percentage of the victims, you just don't hear about the locals who are affected because they don't post on the Kampot Noticeboard.

Despite this, many people still
a) Don't report these crimes to the police because they think it won't achieve anything, and
b) fail to take simple, yet necessary, personal security precautions (but if you ever try and give simple advice on precautions which can, and should be taken, then you're apparently victim bashing)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Poor woman. That could have turned nasty. Not surprising that she was freaked out. The creepy bit is that she suspects that she was followed, and she's wondering if she knows the thief(s) by sight. They might come back for more, so that's another good reason to report this to the police, and the Kampot cops have a reputation for being reasonably helpful.

And, always lock the gates and keep the dogs close by. Shit, that's depressing, but people need to take extra care when times are hard. As Kiwi says, most of the crime victims are locals, so for every crime on expats that we hear about, there's probably a dozen that we don't hear about.
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

A friend of mine ran away from kampot after he suffered a robbery attempt and after a local imposed his protection on him in exchange for money. he says the criminals and the police agree.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

Bullshit. Just how does a local "impose protection on him"? And why the fuck would he pay?
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:52 am Bullshit. Just how does a local "impose protection on him"? And why the fuck would he pay?
You say bullshit. This is the technique used by the mafia. First they hire a guy to rob you. Then a person shows up who offers to look for the culprit and promises you that nothing will happen to you .. but he wants a tip.
The way you talk, it seems like your mouth smells like milk..
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

This isn't 1950s America, you can't just leave your front door unlocked.. Unless you have a family member chilling in the house or sitting outside with you always make sure to lock the door, as the saying goes "when in Rome act like the Romans" the Khmer don't fuck around with leaving their home unlocked so why should we
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:41 am This isn't 1950s America, you can't just leave your front door unlocked.. Unless you have a family member chilling in the house or sitting outside with you always make sure to lock the door, as the saying goes "when in Rome act like the Romans" the Khmer don't fuck around with leaving their home unlocked so why should we
I like to lock the yard gate and leave the house doors open

But when I had places that were on busy city streets or apartments, I obviously locked up

Most non urban jungle Khmer homes are open 6am to 8pm, so long as there's somebody home
SrokKhmer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by SrokKhmer »

I dont understand why the police are not doing something. Maybe with this story hitting this site some Cambodian government man will see it and do something. Let us hope HE sees this story now.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

SrokKhmer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:25 am I dont understand why the police are not doing something. Maybe with this story hitting this site some Cambodian government man will see it and do something. Let us hope HE sees this story now.
Barely any of the Kampot Noticeboard crime stories are reported to police.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic