Job hunting Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Job hunting Cambodia

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

@Tynext see my comment in this thread
topic46708.html
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am And it will be even tougher if you are Indian. The top schools might care less about skin color, but they ask for the right qualifications. Many of the other language centers prefer white faces.
Although there is an Indian I know (member on this forum I believe) who has qualifications and works at one of the Phnom Penh universities.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:31 pm
hanno wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am And it will be even tougher if you are Indian. The top schools might care less about skin color, but they ask for the right qualifications. Many of the other language centers prefer white faces.
Although there is an Indian I know (member on this forum I believe) who has qualifications and works at one of the Phnom Penh universities.
Sure, there are certainly a lot of exceptions (I know a Nigerian teacher) but from what I have seen over the years in Cambodia and Vietnam, it seems considerably easier if you are a caucasian. Admittedly, I have never worked as a teacher, so my comment is just anecdotal.
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 pm @Tynext see my comment in this thread
topic46708.html
That was very informative. Thank you 😊
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Tynext wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:30 pm
Darkcel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:51 am Will op be a vagrant on 136 or 172? Maybe mix it up and hang out infront of the royal palace
Sorry but that went totally over the head 😅
Just fuckin with you. Most people say "teflers" who come here end up bums (99.9% are pretty normal people) but, I do suggest visiting the country before hand as I have met a few teachers who end up with such a culture shock they hightail it back home.
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

Darkcel wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:28 am
Tynext wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:30 pm
Darkcel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:51 am Will op be a vagrant on 136 or 172? Maybe mix it up and hang out infront of the royal palace
Sorry but that went totally over the head 😅
Just fuckin with you. Most people say "teflers" who come here end up bums (99.9% are pretty normal people) but, I do suggest visiting the country before hand as I have met a few teachers who end up with such a culture shock they hightail it back home.

Ok ok. Will keep that in mind.
Thank you 😊
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic