Job hunting Cambodia

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Job hunting Cambodia

Post by Darkcel »

Will op be a vagrant on 136 or 172? Maybe mix it up and hang out infront of the royal palace
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Wait until the mandatory $2k quarantine is lifted and VOA restored.
That may be soonish- end of October?
Airfares should plummet then, and a general improvement in the economy including education.

If you have no tefl certificate, and you are hell-bent on coming right away, a few of the tefl training mills can arrange an invitation for a visa.
Don't ask me which ones- I don't know- just seen some chat on fb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tynext wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:02 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 pm Hi OP,
Do you have a special reason to come to Cambodia right now ? Things are not so great, a lot of people (including expat teachers) are out of work.
Lockdowns and curfews come and go in different places. There's a lot of talk of opening up the country "soon", maybe even next month, but who knows ?
Sorry not to be more optimistic, but Cambodia has been hard hit economically by the pandemic and and the resulting closed borders. Good luck.

Thank you for being honest. Yes, I read the news. They are talking about reopening. My main reason is to finally go out. I read that Cambodia is doing good against virus. I read about bankruptcy and closure of institutions too but may be once the country reopens it will cause a boost. At least that is what I am hoping.so I thought of trying my luck with a job there.
They're not really talking a bout reopening. They might start talking about it in a day or ten if cases / deaths remain relatively stable. Based on what I have seen in Phnom Penh over the last days I am afraid that's not going to be the case and there will be a spike after last week's holiday and the talks will be postponed for some time.

Most foreign teachers in Phnom Penh I know still aren't back on their normal 100% salaries. They're still hoping for better times but have been doing so for months already.

Spending time in Cambodia might sound easy, generating an income here currently isn't that easy unless you find your own niche IMHO. With all schools hit heavily during the pandemic I would avoid the TEFL route at this time.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

You have a BA in education? If not, expect 900-1200$ a month salary, depends on the experience or if you NES/NNES. Some school even pay in rice... :lol: Also PP isnt the cheapest city in the world to live.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

And it will be even tougher if you are Indian. The top schools might care less about skin color, but they ask for the right qualifications. Many of the other language centers prefer white faces.
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

Darkcel wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:51 am Will op be a vagrant on 136 or 172? Maybe mix it up and hang out infront of the royal palace
Sorry but that went totally over the head 😅
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

nemo wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:56 am Wait until the mandatory $2k quarantine is lifted and VOA restored.
That may be soonish- end of October?
Airfares should plummet then, and a general improvement in the economy including education.

If you have no tefl certificate, and you are hell-bent on coming right away, a few of the tefl training mills can arrange an invitation for a visa.
Don't ask me which ones- I don't know- just seen some chat on fb
Ok ok. Thanks for the suggestion😊
And yes I do have TEFL cert and also a graduate degree
I will have to wait i guess.
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

hanno wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:20 am And it will be even tougher if you are Indian. The top schools might care less about skin color, but they ask for the right qualifications. Many of the other language centers prefer white faces.
Yes I read about that. But i can try I guess😬
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:13 am You have a BA in education? If not, expect 900-1200$ a month salary, depends on the experience or if you NES/NNES. Some school even pay in rice... :lol: Also PP isnt the cheapest city in the world to live.
Haha...will open a rice shop then.
Do you have any idea about which is most suitable for a TEFL job there. Siem reap is one I think but they are also expensive
Tynext
Tourist
India

Post by Tynext »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:02 am
Tynext wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:02 am
Anchor Moy wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:50 pm Hi OP,
Do you have a special reason to come to Cambodia right now ? Things are not so great, a lot of people (including expat teachers) are out of work.
Lockdowns and curfews come and go in different places. There's a lot of talk of opening up the country "soon", maybe even next month, but who knows ?
Sorry not to be more optimistic, but Cambodia has been hard hit economically by the pandemic and and the resulting closed borders. Good luck.

Thank you for being honest. Yes, I read the news. They are talking about reopening. My main reason is to finally go out. I read that Cambodia is doing good against virus. I read about bankruptcy and closure of institutions too but may be once the country reopens it will cause a boost. At least that is what I am hoping.so I thought of trying my luck with a job there.
They're not really talking a bout reopening. They might start talking about it in a day or ten if cases / deaths remain relatively stable. Based on what I have seen in Phnom Penh over the last days I am afraid that's not going to be the case and there will be a spike after last week's holiday and the talks will be postponed for some time.

Most foreign teachers in Phnom Penh I know still aren't back on their normal 100% salaries. They're still hoping for better times but have been doing so for months already.

Spending time in Cambodia might sound easy, generating an income here currently isn't that easy unless you find your own niche IMHO. With all schools hit heavily during the pandemic I would avoid the TEFL route at this time.
:( #sed lyf
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic