$100 bills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

$100 bills

Post by RVN67 »

Recently (Fri) my Mrs went over to Canadia Bank to make a deposit with new, stuck together crisp $100 bills. She returned and said they refused to accept one of them. I had previously gotten them from THEIR ATM.

So I went back to the bank armed with my ATM receipt and asked them what the problem was. They pointed out the blue stripe was only a tiny fraction from the bottom of the bill. I proceeded to tell them I obtained it from their ATM and produced my withdrawal receipts (2x500).

The manager took all back in the office and checked the serial number and the transaction receipt number against the info in their system. She returned and apologized and exchanged the bill.

So this is a heads up and beware. Had I not used the banks ATM and opted for a receipt I possibly would have been SOL on $100. This is an easily overlooked error on the part of the bank, the mint and on you should you accept one.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: $100 bills

Post by mannanman »

I love great Sunday stories over a cup of cocoa. Sets me up for the day.

Thanks OP for the heads up.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Whatsupdoc
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Whatsupdoc »

Yes, great Sunday story.
So if you have nothing else to do : go to an ATM, take out some money, then go back in the bank to make a deposit.
What a wonderful way of spending time in Cambodia.
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king - Erasmus
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Not quite that simple Doc. I go to the bank, use the ATM, take it home & put it in my safe. The 1st of the month I give my Mrs her monthly personal spending allowance and she goes and deposits it in her account. I have to live on a budget and so does she.

I learned a long time ago over here to never let a woman live out of your wallet. Nothing positive can come out of that, especially in Thailand were "money numbah one" and gimme gimme gimme, I want to buy XXXXXX.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Why doesn’t she just keep in in the safe, or if you’ve got a local account transfer it?
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Mannaman: Actually it's a savings account for her to use in case of my untimely demise so isn't left flat footed over here because she's not from Cambodia. I saw quite a few, too many expats in Thailand have a woman devote 15+ years of their lives to an expat and when they suddenly die the woman is in her 50's and out on the street and penniless and too old to work. She also gets a monthly allowance that she does keep in the safe. The two are kept strictly separate. If she were to start spending that savings money on anything other than the intended purpose it will come to a screeching halt!

It may come as a surprise to many but I do have a conscience, ethics and scruples. Notice I left out 'morals'! :D
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Why can't you just leave the guy alone?

He told us his tale, he got the bank to concede - quite an achievement here - and shared.

Then he gets snide remarks about being boring, and based on someone not reading the post properly. Then the guy explains and puts some context to it. Now he gets questions about his wife's banking preferences!

No wonder there are 100 lurkers for every one contributor.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

:cry:
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Expatriate it's because some people just don't have a life of their own and thusly are like old women gossiping over the back fence. They're not satisfied with their own life and instead of just buying a bottle of whiskey and being satisfied with getting trashed they need other outlets. But then maybe again they're just looking for advice on how to deal with their lives? Who knows!
Funny (not) how my original post on the $100 bill disintegrated into questions about my personal life.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Can’t see anyone asking about your personal life, you've volunteered it though.

I was simply asking the logistics of your dilemma. Tis all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic