$100 bills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $100 bills

Post by pissontheroof »

420 / 440

Sometimes withdrawing $100 from ABA. You get all 50,000 reil notes. ( $12.50 each )
What I do if 50,000 might be a problem is withdraw like either 420,000 or 440,000 then i have 1 or 2 $5.00 notes ( 20,000 reil ) to
bargain with ..

:hattip:
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

I purchased some crisp $100US bills through Travelex one year in Australia and a couple of them had COPY printed on them, I didn't notice until I got to Cambodia, to their credit they exchanged them when I got back home
Even the ugly ones
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

bucknaked wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:56 am I purchased some crisp $100US bills through Travelex one year in Australia and a couple of them had COPY printed on them, I didn't notice until I got to Cambodia, to their credit they exchanged them when I got back home
That's disgraceful of Travelex for even accepting such bills and giving them out. It's hard to believe they are that incompetent. :facepalm:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bucknaked wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:56 am I purchased some crisp $100US bills through Travelex one year in Australia and a couple of them had COPY printed on them, I didn't notice until I got to Cambodia, to their credit they exchanged them when I got back home
The coincidence of not discovering until in Cambodia....

Never heard that one before.
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 am

when a bank hands over a bunch of notes do you stand there inspecting them all for authenticity? I remember puzzling over whether it was the old switcharoo trick but there was no opportunity for it to be switched out
I must make more effort this trip to politely refuse the local worn out currency I get given as change coz they sure don't except it back in payment at a lot of places
Even the ugly ones
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bucknaked wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am

when a bank hands over a bunch of notes do you stand there inspecting them all for authenticity?
Yes, I will check every 100$ note. Never received a fake one since 2009.
bucknaked wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am I remember puzzling over whether it was the old switcharoo trick but there was no opportunity for it to be switched out
I must make more effort this trip to politely refuse the local worn out currency I get given as change coz they sure don't except it back in payment at a lot of places
My bet is on the switcharoo.

Did you leave them in the in-room safe while you were out? Brought any guests? Gave your wallet to someone to pay the bill for you?

The odds of a professional reputable financial institute receiving and giving out 100$ bills with the word 'copy' on it without noticing are so close to zero I can not see it happening, but it happens in Cambodia all the time.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

bucknaked wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:59 am

when a bank hands over a bunch of notes do you stand there inspecting them all for authenticity? I remember puzzling over whether it was the old switcharoo trick but there was no opportunity for it to be switched out
YES< even in the states!!
how hard is it to look at each note and spot the word "COPY", they don't even feel the same as a real note
and by the way i seriously doubt a western bank gave you the fake note>
and i am surprised as hell if they accepted it back an gave ya a real $100

haven't received a fake note since i left the "business" in HK back in the 80's and back than it was never "copy" written on them
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
bucknaked
Expatriate
Australia

Post by bucknaked »

it was probably the fact that they replaced it gave me confidence that they dished it out, like it wasn't a huge surprise to them.
I guess its possible it was switched, these people after all do this day in day out at every possibility.
not something we would even think about in Australia with our fancy plastic notes
Even the ugly ones
newsgatherer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by newsgatherer »

It reeks of newcomer stupidity. The only place you will find counterfeit $100 bills of any quality is down by the river in this town.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

newsgatherer wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:46 pm It reeks of newcomer stupidity. The only place you will find counterfeit $100 bills of any quality is down by the river in this town.
A 100$ note with 'copy' on it is Monopoly money IMHO, not counterfeit money. It's used by the Khmer and Chinese to burn for good luck, especially around their 'New Year' ceremonies......

Those notes look different, feel different, and can be distinguished from the real thing by the blink of an eye.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic