$100 bills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: $100 bills

Post by Chad Sexington »

LionelBurns wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 am Piss; last time I checked with ABA in order to open an account as a foreigner with them you needed a business license. I too get my $ from Uncle Sugar. I do notice in PP many business are rejecting Visa for payment and are switching to ABA pay. Thanks for the info and confirming my suspicions that the money from an ATM is tracked by the bills serial number.
Now I'm wondering if when the bank runs the bills through their money counting machine if it also scans the serial numbers. My curiosity is all.
I walked in off the street and armed only with my passport and telephone and opened an account with ABA. That was 2 years ago, don’t know if it’s changed since then.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 am
LionelBurns wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:30 am Piss; last time I checked with ABA in order to open an account as a foreigner with them you needed a business license. I too get my $ from Uncle Sugar. I do notice in PP many business are rejecting Visa for payment and are switching to ABA pay. Thanks for the info and confirming my suspicions that the money from an ATM is tracked by the bills serial number.
Now I'm wondering if when the bank runs the bills through their money counting machine if it also scans the serial numbers. My curiosity is all.
I walked in off the street and armed only with my passport and telephone and opened an account with ABA. That was 2 years ago, don’t know if it’s changed since then.
For my ABA I had to show my lease and EB visa, four years ago. But that was mainly to prove residence for tax withholding purposes (on interest).

I think there was a thread on here a while back which highlighted that some branches were better than others in terms of what they want. Some wanted a EB or ER visa and some needed a lease agreement showing you were resident. Others were less fussy.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

My experience was less than a year ago. Besides, it would be a real PINA to make a bank transfer from my credit union to ABA. They don't make it easy either. Involves writing a letter, faxing it to them with all the receiving banks info including Street address, city, zip etc. More like an affidavit including my info and signature and $40 a pop, flat fee. So I try and use my Visa whenever possible and rely on atm's for the relatively small amount of cash I require monthly.

I also had an identity theft happen to me 22 years ago so there's an extra layer of security on everything including getting my credit limit raised on all my plastic.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 12:26 am What the fuck kind of mangling of language is going on here? 8)

If you want to take out a few thousand with a foreign card in one go I recommend Acleda's over the counter service, I think they charge 0.15 %.
Baby boomer social hour
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:11 am
Chad Sexington wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:56 am
For my ABA I had to show my lease and EB visa, four years ago. But that was mainly to prove residence for tax withholding purposes (on interest).

I think there was a thread on here a while back which highlighted that some branches were better than others in terms of what they want. Some wanted a EB or ER visa and some needed a lease agreement showing you were resident. Others were less fussy.
My passport contained my ER visa, the only other requirement I recall was some cash for an initial deposit.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

LionelBurns wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:16 am My experience was less than a year ago. Besides, it would be a real PINA to make a bank transfer from my credit union to ABA. They don't make it easy either. Involves writing a letter, faxing it to them with all the receiving banks info including Street address, city, zip etc. More like an affidavit including my info and signature and $40 a pop, flat fee. So I try and use my Visa whenever possible and rely on atm's for the relatively small amount of cash I require monthly.

I also had an identity theft happen to me 22 years ago so there's an extra layer of security on everything including getting my credit limit raised on all my plastic.
If you have a free ACLEDA account you can transfer to any big credit union or bank.
People of the world, spice up your life.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Thanks once again mannaman.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Darckcel, thanks for your intelligent commentary on the subject. It's helped immensely!
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

I wrote about my adventures opening an account at Acleda a year ago. post400656.html#p400656
It went from needing a business visa to lease agreement or sangkat residency paper to just a local driver's licence.

I had a current lease agreement for the ABA account but that was longer ago. I have a retiree visa extension.

As others say, the rules may have been tightened or a case of trying your luck at different branches.

Re Bred bank, I think you can take out more ($US2000-2500?) but my oz banks limit to $A2000 so for me $US1460 approx.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If I recall, the ABA requirement at time of opening was either a lease agreement, or a visa with 3+ or 6+ months. I think my visa was still a tourist visa with extension. It sort of makes sense that an ordinary visa would be required. It doesn't help that a significant proportion of low level and above employees eroniously refer to the ordinary visa as a business visa.

For the slow witted employee, who cannot be bothered to properly understand the requirements pertaining to a particular task (this is a world wide problem, exacerbated by whatever poor local hiring practices exist) there is a tendency to require all of the listed documents from a multiple choice list, setting the most restrictive conditions by virtue of not actually understanding the job.
Cambodia does this quite well, I grant you. I've recently had issues with ABA, where a simple task like updating our home address took two separate visits, and finally reference to the Bank Manager, before getting it right.

There needs to be some reasonableness check. If you are opening, or looking to open, a bank account that many other people have managed to open with little difficulty, then simply ask yourself if the person you're dealing with is a complete idiot, some sort of OCD control freak, or just being overly officious, and if common sense doesn't prevail (like asking to actually see and read the list of requirements), get a bank manager involved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic