$100 bills

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: $100 bills

Post by Chad Sexington »

bittermelon wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:25 pm You sound very important. In case anything similar should ever happen to me and I want to prevent it happening to others, how could I verify it to your satisfaction?
Maybe the guy is just skeptical that it may be another unverified rumor? Like the claims of fake hundred dollar bills supposedly issued from certain ATMs?
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

You say the bank admitted giving you an unusable $ 100 bill and only agreed to exchange it after going to the back office and checking the serial number. Can you tell me if the bill was counterfeit? Or did the cashier make a mistake when collecting the money. Are you claiming that the bill had a verifiable serial number but was still forged? I can not believe it. You asked your girlfriend to cash the bills you received directly from the ATM. Why did you take the money out to start with? Why your girlfriend went to the bank to make a deposit for you. It sounds really weird to be honest. No matter.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Pissontheroof; 5 1/2 years and I've found that staying away from any of the ATM's on Sisowat Quay/Riverside is best. $300 max, ATM fee $8. Tourist traps!
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Hairdo: If you'll go back over the whole thread I've explained it throughly. The money came out of that banks ATM machine. If it was counterfeit I have no idea. I had my transaction receipt and the bill. What the bank did I haven't any idea as it was done in a walled off portion behind the front counter. As far as them checking the bill serial number it's only a gues. How banks function electronically & track the currency I haven't a clue. Read all three pages of this thread for the whole story, starting at the beginning. You seem to be the only one questioning the Veracity of my story. BTW, they didn't "admit" to anything, they just said sorry gave me another bill and told me if I had anymore problems to come back and see them.
hairdo
BANNED
Guam

Post by hairdo »

OK, I have been taken out about $5-800 a month from Canadia and have done for a very long time. The bills have always been in good condition. As an ABA customer as well I can say the same, that all bills taken out of their ATM's have been in good useable condition. I am sorry about your misfortune, best of luck in the future. Over and out.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

LionelBurns wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:11 pm Pissontheroof; 5 1/2 years and I've found that staying away from any of the ATM's on Sisowat Quay/Riverside is best. $300 max, ATM fee $8. Tourist traps!
I been here longer than 10 years don’t go to phnom penh , I am allergic to it ,
i’m from shitsville ( or sihanoukville ) i have a ABA for local account here but i withdraw my pension 3000$ a month from my Uncle Sam , canadia bank used to give $800 max in the old days and i thought that was ok , but then they switched and now only do like 500 i guess ,
Then i used to go to a cathay bank and they allowed like a 1000 at a crack , then they reduced the amount and later went out of business .
Then I found UCB and they allowed 1000 for a decent amount ; $5.00 , and i would prefer to go to SiemReap to get $1000 instead of the outrageous fee charged by ABA for $1000 or 1500 their max , then UCB also closed down in SR , so just by hit and *miss ( checked out inquiring of many and found one ATM i use now that allows withdrawal $2000 at a crack for just $4 .. so i take the cash out of there and deposit it
‘ cash in ‘ to my ABA , sometimes I get a stack of 100’s and they get rejected for deposit , so I take them in and the bank find some tiny flaw or a ink mark or some 🤬 and tell me take them back there where I got ‘em and sure as shit they look at my reiciept and the serial number and replace it for me , so yea , they know by the serial number it was from their machine , i haven’t had any problem taking it back to where i got it for replacement .. nowadays it’s most easiest to pay by ABA app or I just withdraw reil to pay the local mom & pops , tips or beggars .
I got about 1/2 million of 100 reils and various 2 dollar bills 💵 and change in my safe .. and some illegal junk ..
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

What the fuck kind of mangling of language is going on here? 8)

If you want to take out a few thousand with a foreign card in one go I recommend Acleda's over the counter service, I think they charge 0.15 %.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:31 pm
LionelBurns wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:58 pm Expat, new branch right next door. Next closest one is ABA. With ABA you need a business license as a foreigner to set up an account. I used to use UBC when I lived in the Riverside area but it's too far away.
Canadia ATM fees $500, $5. ABA $500, $6. Vannatac that I used to use inside Smile Riverside was $4 per $500. Not cost effective to travel there and back to save $1.
If a person has to use an ATM like I must every $1 I save is money ahead. Plus Visa charges 1% on top of that too in "currency conversion fees". Thanks for the advice though. 👍
FWIW, I have an ABA account here but if I have to use my cards from my European bank for withdrawing I use Acledas ATMs.
Acleda- ATM fee Visa $500 = $5 / MasterCard $500 = $5
ABA - ATM fee Visa $500 = $6 / MasterCard $500 = $8
I have ABA account as a retiree, and I always use Bred bank ATMs: $4 withdrawal fee regardless of amount.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Piss; last time I checked with ABA in order to open an account as a foreigner with them you needed a business license. I too get my $ from Uncle Sugar. I do notice in PP many business are rejecting Visa for payment and are switching to ABA pay. Thanks for the info and confirming my suspicions that the money from an ATM is tracked by the bills serial number.
Now I'm wondering if when the bank runs the bills through their money counting machine if it also scans the serial numbers. My curiosity is all.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

John, thanks for the info on Acleda's over the counter fees. Next time around I'll give them a go. My max daily withdrawal amount is $1k so in order to take that amount out of most ATM it's in two $500 whacks @$5 ea. at the minimum.

Maybank used to allow me $1k at a time for $4 I think but my CU changed its CC provider and the new one didn't have the same logos on the back so my card won't work in their ATM.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic