J&J/Janssen vaccine

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: J&J/Janssen vaccine

Post by RVN67 »

Many thanks to everyone EXCEPT sarcasm dude. 20 years ago when I first moved to Thailand an old expat told me that some expats moved there because they couldn't play well with others and were disliked in their home countries. After 20 years and 4 countries I'm inclined to believe that person!
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

Chased down a J&J jab in Prey Veng a couple of weeks ago. Temporary medical teams are traveling the country administering them. If I hear anything else I'll post.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

bobagubi wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:09 am Chased down a J&J jab in Prey Veng a couple of weeks ago. Temporary medical teams are traveling the country administering them. If I hear anything else I'll post.
Did you get the vaccination, and card, at what cost?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Thanks bobagui.
bobagubi
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by bobagubi »

Good to clarify:

Yes, myself and a friend both received shots of J&J at no cost with a vaccination card.

You're welcome. Glad to help, even in a tiny way.
សូមអរគុណសូមជំរាបលា។
Element6
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Element6 »

I got J&J at a small medical center about 20kms outside of Kampot near the cement works. This was about 4 weeks ago. They had given it to all the locals there. Unfortunately I needed to know someone who knew someone in order to get it so without those connections you may struggle. The day I went the medical center was empty and I was the only person there. Got a blue card

I was also told the J&J had been targeted for rural communities where second doses may be more difficult to administer
Born-Confused
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Born-Confused »

LionelBurns wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:20 pm I've been down the rabbit hole on the J&J. It's a non-recurring adenovirus vaccine.
"An adenovirus vaccine is a vaccine against adenovirus infection. It was used by the United States military from 1971 to 1999, but was discontinued when the only manufacturer stopped production. Wikipedia".
This is why I'm chasing it as it has a proven track record, not because it doesn't need a booster. It also will not work well with the other bioNtec types.
AZ also uses similar technology to make the vaccine. The difference between JJ and AZ is the receptor they target to get into a cell. Both produce the spike protein. So in theory, the AZ as a booster will work.

I couldn't work out if you are after a booster or the first shot. You'll find that in time, a booster will be required. It isn't recommended on the basis that they don't want to waste vaccines if populations are missing out.

Also, the data is now clear that a booster using the mRNA vaccines enhance immunity for those who got the adenovirus vector vaccines.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Born: 1st shot and the J&J will cause potential problems if used with the others. Also according to Kymer Times the only vaccines now left are the two Chinese ones.
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

Born: "The ultimate difference is the way the instructions are delivered. The Moderna and Pfizer vaccines use mRNA technology, and the Johnson & Johnson vaccine uses the more traditional virus-based technology. mRNA is essentially a little piece of code that the vaccine delivers to your cells."
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

LionelBurns wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:10 pm Born: 1st shot and the J&J will cause potential problems if used with the others. Also according to Kymer Times the only vaccines now left are the two Chinese ones.
The others will be soon on shelves of approved clinics and hospitals at a cost too the public.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic