Need contractor/repair person

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Need contractor/repair person

Post by Mojo »

I have a unit in one of the Peng Huoth boreys. The unit has a 4 sq m patio on the top floor. The drainage is inadequate and water collects in the patio during the heavy rains and leaks into the house.
I need to find a solution to prevent further damage. If it's cost-effective, I'd prefer a temporary solution. We live in KL and plan to move to PP once I am allowed to enter the country. I'd prefer to be there before forking out the money for a permanent solution, but will do so if that's the only option.

TIA
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Need contractor/repair person

Post by canucklhead »

Probably a blocked drain.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

canucklhead wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:48 pm Probably a blocked drain.
It’s more than a blocked drain. The integrity of the whole surface is in doubt as it should be able to cope with standing water. What happens during a torrential downpour, when the drain can’t remove the surface water fast enough?
A photo or two, with close ups of the affected area would help but I think you’re looking at some sort of sealing agent at the least and it’s possible the problem is one of poor construction that would be costly to remedy.

Edit to add:
Re-reading the OP I would increase the size of the outflow and related pipes as a quick fix
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

Waterproof the ceiling with couple layers of concrete sealer paint.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

If the heavy rains simply mean the standing water is rising above whatever perimeter, or containment, and overflowing into an area that doesn’t drain away, then drainage needs to be attended to. My folks patio has a problem in heavy UK storms, with a very low gradient drainage. It happens. Pipes that are intended to provide an outflow not having the capacity.

If the standing water is working through the patio itself, then that’s a different problem.
The first issue is understanding the actual problem.

Then explaining and ensuring understanding of, with whoever takes it on locally.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Need to look at it. If you haven't had it looked at, you should act now, because it isn't going to get cheaper. You can PM me with details, and arrange a meeting with your property manager, whom I expect to come to the property with me. If poss I will give you a couple of quotes. When are you back? PM
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Tiles on the patio floor might stop the water from entering, combined with extra drain pipes.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

We had a similar problem 20 years ago. It had nothing to do with blocked drains. Rain water could flow freely off of the roof.
The problem was caused by rain water sitting and pooling on the flat roof. Keep in mind that these flat cement roofs were constructed by people who don't know how to use a spirit level, and pooling rain water is probably the last thing on their mind when spreading cement two floors above the ground floor (there were no cement 'pump' trucks in those days).

The solution was as per Strawberryshake's post, assuming he meant roof rather than ceiling.
Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:51 pm Waterproof the ceiling with couple layers of concrete sealer paint.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Username Taken wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:39 am We had a similar problem 20 years ago. It had nothing to do with blocked drains. Rain water could flow freely off of the roof.
The problem was caused by rain water sitting and pooling on the flat roof. Keep in mind that these flat cement roofs were constructed by people who don't know how to use a spirit level, and pooling rain water is probably the last thing on their mind when spreading cement two floors above the ground floor (there were no cement 'pump' trucks in those days).

The solution was as per Strawberryshake's post, assuming he meant roof rather than ceiling.
Strawberryshake wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:51 pm Waterproof the ceiling with couple layers of concrete sealer paint.
I think he meant the floor… water proofing the ceiling would simply move the problem further down the wall
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

Thanks for the responses.

Yes, it’s definitely caused by the standing water. My in-laws have gotten a couple of people to look at it and they want to install a cover over the patio for $4-6k.
If that’s what it takes, fine, but I’m not sure it solves the problem.

The patio is on the top floor/attic, above one of the bedrooms. You can see some of the water damage in that room. There’s more.

This has been going on for a while. My in-laws didn’t tell me and hired some people to fix it, but obviously it didn’t take.

I’m not sure when I can get to PP as I don’t have a visa. Likely not until next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic