Need contractor/repair person

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Need contractor/repair person

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They'd have to pull the tiles and regrout it with a waterproof sealant underneath and a stronger incline. Another solution I once used was to do all of the above, but I added bitumen sheets on top of it all (the roofing they melt onto the roof). No issues since. This is a place where you sometimes hang out I take it, so the bitumen roofing route might not be an option?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Mojo wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:03 am Thanks for the responses.

Yes, it’s definitely caused by the standing water. My in-laws have gotten a couple of people to look at it and they want to install a cover over the patio for $4-6k.
If that’s what it takes, fine, but I’m not sure it solves the problem.

The patio is on the top floor/attic, above one of the bedrooms. You can see some of the water damage in that room. There’s more.

This has been going on for a while. My in-laws didn’t tell me and hired some people to fix it, but obviously it didn’t take.

I’m not sure when I can get to PP as I don’t have a visa. Likely not until next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Going by your explanation of your account of the standing water, and that of the photos you have attached. The best solution to cure the problem would be to remove all the previous work, re-waterproof with a suitable membrane, and reset the tiles at the correct angle for water displacement. Could go for a quick temporary fix by pouring a liquid latex.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

You could put a roof/cover/canopy over the area and this would stop any water from landing on the floor and thus stop the leaks but the floor will still be porous.
You could seal the floor and, in effect, put a membrane/layer between the original floor and any water, but, this will eventually wear or get damaged and loose integrity. But I am not sure of the products available and how good they are so this may still be your best option.

Now, for a little anecdote.
I rent a 1st floor house/apartment in your typical Cambodian style. Long and narrow, kitchen+bathroom at the back, bedroom in the middle, and a large room and balcony at the front. The ground floor family told us the water was leaking through to their ceiling. It was coming from our bathroom. The landlady gave me some grout and I re-grouted the whole floor. I also didn't clean the excess grout off very well but that just made the floor way less slippery and safer tbh so a happy mistake there.
Anyway, this fixed the problem and maybe it could be your floor area needs re-grouting to seal it?
Mojo
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Mojo »

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have selected a contractor who will redo and seal the floor and install a cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic