Cambodia urges upholding nuke-free status for South-East Asia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Thursday, 07 Oct 2021
4:24 PM MYT

PHNOM PENH (The Phnom Penh Post/Asia News Network): Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation Prak Sokhonn stressed the importance of the South-East Asia Nuclear Weapon-Free Zone (SEANWFZ) status and expressed his concern on the geopolitical tension and major power rivalry in the region.

Sokhonn made the remarks during the 24th Asean Political-Security Community Council Meeting held on Oct 4 via video conference, according to the foreign ministry's press statement.

“He [Sokhonn] expressed concern that the rise of geopolitical tension and major power rivalries may escalate arm races and destabilise regional peace.

“In this regard, he stressed the importance of upholding Asean's principles in preserving the Southeast Asian region as a nuclear weapon-free zone and the signing of the Protocol to the SEANWFZ Treaty by the five nuclear-power nations,” the statement said.

Sokhonn also expressed concern over job security and the wellbeing of migrant workers in the region.

He underlined Cambodia’s support for the recommendations of the 14th Asean Forum on Migrant Labour (AFML) on extending social protection to migrant workers and rallying international support for their upskill and reskill programmes, according to the statement.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... -east-asia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Cambodia urges upholding nuke-free status for South-East Asia

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I'll swing behind that,
despite the where (Ch) the why (Aukus) and the exact timing (right after the sub deal) of where this message undoubtedly springs from.

One day those slathering militarists who, with the regularity of a dumbarse cuckoo clock, march off to some other part of the world to create death and devastation to others and humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat unto themselves - will decide it is a bright idea to start playing their juvenile Cowboys and Indian fantasies with nukes.

They might not actually get to use them, but you would have to be ignorant of history to believe they would not fuck up in some major way.
eg Like choosing the coral reefs and the 10's of thousands of SEA islands as the operating field for a major nuclear submarine face-off.
ffs

Note to ALL the nuclear powers - Man up to each other for a change. face to face.
We don't want your faked-reason, coward's, proxy wars in OUR back yard again. Nor your toxic for million years shit.

just my view - and that of most of us in the neighbourhood, i believe
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 am I'll swing behind that,
despite the where (Ch) the why (Aukus) and the exact timing (right after the sub deal) of where this message undoubtedly springs from.

One day those slathering militarists who, with the regularity of a dumbarse cuckoo clock, march off to some other part of the world to create death and devastation to others and humiliating defeat after humiliating defeat unto themselves - will decide it is a bright idea to start playing their juvenile Cowboys and Indian fantasies with nukes.

They might not actually get to use them, but you would have to be ignorant of history to believe they would not fuck up in some major way.
eg Like choosing the coral reefs and the 10's of thousands of SEA islands as the operating field for a major nuclear submarine face-off.
ffs

Note to ALL the nuclear powers - Man up to each other for a change. face to face.
We don't want your faked-reason, coward's, proxy wars in OUR back yard again. Nor your toxic for million years shit.

just my view - and that of most of us in the neighbourhood, i believe
You can smoke the glass & stick a rose in a pile a dog doodoo and call it poetry but The Mods over here at CEO are still gonna cancel you! 🤣
(I'm just fkn witcha man!)
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

cool
Thanks for the heads up.

Look, obviously i am amping the language up for entertainment porpoises, but the basic sentiments are for real.
(i think the Mods know that - which is possibly why i was not banned a long long time ago. Or maybe they simply don't want CEO to be an empty single voiced echo-chamber)

Whether you agree or not, the argument has relevance and validity for this region.
Maybe some counter arguments?? instead recommending your cancel culture
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

By slathering militarists you mean the Taliban, right?
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

johnny lightning wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:45 am By slathering militarists you mean the Taliban, right?
Taliban, NATOban, the Cossacks, the Mao Mao mob - all of the fat pricks. :D
None of them live in SEA.

"Anybody who wants to go to proxy war, or play with nuclear fire, in this neighbourhood far far away from their own home - Flock Off"
How's that? reasonable enough?

With the exception of refugeeland Formosa/Taiwan , a new and invented nation of sore loosers with no history and no great contribution to anything, i think you will find every single nation in SEA knows that war with China would be catastrophic for this region.
Listen closely to even Australia, they see their new muscularity and AwkWard (or whatever it is) in terms of deterrence.

It is only the usual-suspects from within a few far away foreign powers that are amping up the prospects for war around here.
It all gets a bit real if your own backyard is slated as the next battlefield, Heroes.

Hey, i am a huge booster for the West reasserting our presence in the region - but just not foolishly or recklessly.
Outsiders need to take the local's (potential allies all) interests into account. and planning!!
Ask No Questions, Bomb First - Retreat Later has lost its cache in this region these days.
It's dumbarse.

and now some of them want to start playing with nukes.
here, not backhome. of course.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Cambodia is backed by their best friend who happens to have plenty of nukes at their disposal. Plus, the Khmer don’t have the technical know how or infrastructure for nuclear weapons. Just like Cambodia renouncing launching killer satellites to promote world peace.

Of course if their best friend happens to base a couple of nuclear missiles, ballistic bombers, ships, or boats in country, there is no need to worry. Official government position will still be there are no nukes.

Anything else other than the official government position would be lies and looking down on Khmer.

Sorry for the rant.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Cambodia is backed by their best friend who happens to have plenty of nukes at their disposal
About 350 vs about 4000 in usa.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

nemo wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:25 pm
Cambodia is backed by their best friend who happens to have plenty of nukes at their disposal
About 350 vs about 4000 in usa.
According to Western Spies or Chinese Transparency?
Either way, it's how you use it, not how many.
China had better master that part at least. But they like subs apparently!
RVN67
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by RVN67 »

"About 350 vs about 4000 in usa". Does it really matter which country has the most? Nuclear war will doom the world with a lot less used. The numbers are only academic! Why not add the amount the UK has to the mix, after all they're part of NATO so they'll be in it too. Besides, China is part of ASEAN so how does that angle work into the ASEAN/Cambodian "urging"? Maybe the PM will beg China to de nuke and they'll oblige?
China won't even discuss getting into the new proposed Nuclear disarmament treaty between Russia & the US.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic