Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Post by jaggop »

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50947429/p ... lishments/

So many questions about this one. Like how are they going to implement it. And how do you get a vaccination card if you were vaccinated abroad...

EDIT: tl;dr from article:

Khuong Sreng, Governor of Phnom Penh, on the evening of October 5, issued instructions on the presentation of COVID-19 vaccination card or certificates each time when entering and leaving educational institutions, markets and business locations in Phnom Penh.
[...]
The statement also warned that school management, market commission, business owners and all other establishments face license revocation if they failed to implement this measure. They also face the possibility of being shut down.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Post by AndyKK »

Interesting move, but then if this was too be implemented, it would have been thought fair warning and maybe the vaccination roll out should have been made mandantory.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
jaggop
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by jaggop »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am Interesting move, but then if this was too be implemented, it would have been thought fair warning and maybe the vaccination roll out should have been made mandantory.
Since there is no information about implementation date, maybe this is our fair warning?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

It's not about them implementing, it's about local businesses enforcing. Just like QR code scanning. In entire Phnom Penh there's only two places I know insisting on me scanning their QR code. And one's a medical facility. But it's compulsory everywhere.
Better stop worrying.

There are some spots where you have to show the card, for instance some provincial borders. If you can't show the card they'll test you before letting you in.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

jaggop wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 am
AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am Interesting move, but then if this was too be implemented, it would have been thought fair warning and maybe the vaccination roll out should have been made mandantory.
Since there is no information about implementation date, maybe this is our fair warning?
If that would be the case, it would be interesting where and how people have not been vaccinated are going to go about trying to get vaccinated now.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am It's not about them implementing, it's about local businesses enforcing. Just like QR code scanning. In entire Phnom Penh there's only two places I know insisting on me scanning their QR code. And one's a medical facility. But it's compulsory everywhere.
Better stop worrying.

There are some spots where you have to show the card, for instance some provincial borders. If you can't show the card they'll test you before letting you in.
Sure, but when the QR scanning came in it was adopted quite widely. Now it is just for show. But the police can walk in to any premises and demand to see all the cards, no need to interact with an app or peoples phones to see who scanned in. It's a good excuse for on the spot fines for not carrying your card.

I can see a few places adopting it, but for how long nobody knows.

Given Phnom Penh is supposedly 100% vaccinated it makes you wonder who they are trying catch?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am
Kammekor wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:00 am It's not about them implementing, it's about local businesses enforcing. Just like QR code scanning. In entire Phnom Penh there's only two places I know insisting on me scanning their QR code. And one's a medical facility. But it's compulsory everywhere.
Better stop worrying.

Sure, but when the QR scanning came in it was adopted quite widely. Now it is just for show. But the police can walk in to any premises and demand to see all the cards, no need to interact with an app or peoples phones to see who scanned in. It's a good excuse for on the spot fines for not carrying your card.

I can see a few places adopting it, but for how long nobody knows.

Given Phnom Penh is supposedly 100% vaccinated it makes you wonder who they are trying catch?
If you mean: 'loads of places put up a card with a QR code', I agree.

If you mean: 'the majority started scanning / using the QR codes' I disagree.
I was in Phnom Penh at the time and only a few days after the introduction I was forced to look for the QR scanner app on my phone @ Brown Coffee.

If they start enforcing flashing the card for entry the competent authorities will soon face the problem of the ink of the cards wearing off very quickly, making quick checks rather useless. My guess is fourteen days in a sweaty wallet will do.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:03 am
jaggop wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 am
If that would be the case, it would be interesting where and how people have not been vaccinated are going to go about trying to get vaccinated now.
Royal pp have said they're getting Moderna/Pfizer soon 250-300 for both shots, definitely not a bad deal at all
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:32 am Given Phnom Penh is supposedly 100% vaccinated it makes you wonder who they are trying catch?
Flush out the last remaining refuseniks :lol:

Seriously tho, does anyone believe the 99-100% anyway? That stat assumes a recent and effective population census no?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They said themselves it was +99%... Are their own stats wrong then? Another KOW move.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic