Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Ozinasia
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Mandatory showing of vaccination card in Phnom Penh

Post by Ozinasia »

I stopped scanning those machines as soon as I got a screenshot of a few regular places I go. I am not starting all that nonsense again.
[/quote]

I don't in all honesty understand these scanning code dolackies it seems to me though the system would be easily be misused what is to stop an unvaccinated person using a vaccinated persons phone ?? or isnt it that simple ?
I can see the phone shops at central market offered used phones that can be used :?
Last edited by Ozinasia on Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rodez
Tourist
United States of America

Post by rodez »

i was very surprised when on Friday i stopped at lucky and was shown a large card..had no idea why so went in later i read the new sign saying a vaccine pass was needed same at kiwi.i suppose it will soon be impossible to shop without..i hope the ice cream seller wont refuse me an ice or the fruit rice woman just peddle by considering me a lepper
I have not yet been vaccinated dont have a pass im quite happy to have the sinovac ..in spite of reading we must all be vaccinated before the tourist flood in November i have had no reply from a clinic or hospital to my emails
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:17 am
atst wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:40 am
Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:34 am
atst wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:15 am Many in the provinces wouldn't take the china vac and the vaccine card will be of no need to them in their community. When the other vac's become available they're happy to accept it eg J&J
I don't know. Most people in my village can't cough up a 100 bucks for a foreign jab. My guess is they will take the risk and sit it out, or at least try to.

I am not saying masses didn't get the Chinese vaccine. Masses did. But I seriously doubt it's
99% based on chats I had over the last months.
J&J was free in the provinces.
You make it sound as if J&J was widely used in the provinces.
In some places J&J was indeed used, especially in the most remote places because of the one time jab, in some places the use of J&J was announced but SINO was used. For instance in the village Khonmoum 30km from where I live.
In my town people didn't know which vaccine they got until they received their paper sleeve with the name on it.
All the vaccines are free to Cambodians and resident foreigner's, it's just the odd few who are into somehow got their way into the administration of the vaccination who are after lining their pockets. But it's just the way things tend to work here, if money can be made and all that, normality for some, we would more than likely call them corrupt ways of doing business.
J&J was mainly has you say used rightfully in remote areas, it was also used in the big city, for people who had other illness, and for the ones who just preferred. We read too on threads here of western people getting the vaccine free or paying for it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

And competent authority persons selling shots for $150 up to $400 per shot.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 am Firstly, I was only joking, I too think the figures have gone from a mild joke to a pathetic farce.

Secondly, I am counting ambulances as well and I saw one yesterday and 2 the day before. Somebody in the bar saw it go past and mentioned that "the ambulances are back", so it's not just us noticing.

Thirdly, if there are now just 250 cases, how come we are still getting 25 deaths a day? What will they do about the thorny issue of the fatality rate? What if it goes UP?
Joking noted. I have to work on my 'ironic style'.

About the deaths, the government can now (still) refer to the number of cases 21 days ago leading to 25 deaths, but soon they can't do that anymore. Then the deaths will drop as well I guess. Or the government will spread the new all deaths were unvaxxed people, putting the blame on that.

Having said that, I don't think many believe the current numbers published. Cambodians have learned from a very young age not to trust their government too much and anyone following the the news about this pandemic from even the largest distance will notice the current numbers are far, far different from what seems to be happening in other places.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:50 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:46 am Firstly, I was only joking, I too think the figures have gone from a mild joke to a pathetic farce.

Secondly, I am counting ambulances as well and I saw one yesterday and 2 the day before. Somebody in the bar saw it go past and mentioned that "the ambulances are back", so it's not just us noticing.

Thirdly, if there are now just 250 cases, how come we are still getting 25 deaths a day? What will they do about the thorny issue of the fatality rate? What if it goes UP?

About the deaths, the government can now (still) refer to the number of cases 21 days ago leading to 25 deaths, but soon they can't do that anymore. Then the deaths will drop as well I guess. Or the government will spread the new all deaths were unvaxxed people, putting the blame on that.

Having said that, I don't think many believe the current numbers published. Cambodians have learned from a very young age not to trust their government too much and anyone following the the news about this pandemic from even the largest distance will notice the current numbers are far, far different from what seems to be happening in other places.
When playing with numbers in the millions, it's easy to loose or add a few here and there. I suppose the same goes for the better vaccines. It will be interesting to see when they are on the shelves and available for public sale. Its noted so far the only vaccine paid for is one of the Chinese ones, that comes across with having the two Chinese vaccines has buy one get one free. I wonder if any of the later two will join the others on the for sale shelves.
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

rodez wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:19 pm i was very surprised when on Friday i stopped at lucky and was shown a large card..had no idea why so went in later i read the new sign saying a vaccine pass was needed same at kiwi.i suppose it will soon be impossible to shop without..i hope the ice cream seller wont refuse me an ice or the fruit rice woman just peddle by considering me a lepper
I have not yet been vaccinated dont have a pass im quite happy to have the sinovac ..in spite of reading we must all be vaccinated before the tourist flood in November i have had no reply from a clinic or hospital to my emails
The public vaccination program has been going on for months. Private clinics and hospitals are not vaccinating people. Not yet at least.

If you want Sinovac, go to your local vaccination centre and try your luck (they may not accept you if you don't already have a vax card), or go to Preah Ang Duong hospital.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Kammekor wrote:Just had a lovely stroll along street 214 back to my room and during those 15 minutes two ambulances with full bells and whistles and drivers in full protective gear passed by. The odds of me seeing another covid ambulance today must be below zero now, right?
Ambulances only come for the big city folks, like the ones in Phnom Penh.

The villagers don’t get tested. If they feel ill, stay home and take Chinese medicine.

And don’t get tested (of course).
AzalKH
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AzalKH »

The government changed the way it's counting positive results. The rapid test kit results are no longer being counted, only PCR results which come back as positive are going into the official count. That's why we had the big drop from 800+ a day to 200ish a day a couple of weeks ago. A lot of businesses now are having on-site employees tested each week and I guess that if someone comes back positive then some places will tell them to quarantine for a couple of weeks and others (possibly such as Yerg's employer) are asking them to go and get a PCR test to confirm the result.

I suppose if you wanted to compare current numbers to the old system, you'd multiply by 3.5 or so and have an approximation of what reported cases would be like before it went PCR only.

Given the above, I wouldn't expect deaths to change much, we'll probably see a bit of a spike in a couple of months time once the government officially opens everything up, then return to something like now over a month or two, then slowly decrease over the following months.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

AzalKH wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:54 pm

The government changed the way it's counting positive results. The rapid test kit results are no longer being counted, only PCR results which come back as positive are going into the official count. That's why we had the big drop from 800+ a day to 200ish a day a couple of weeks ago. A lot of businesses now are having on-site employees tested each week and I guess that if someone comes back positive then some places will tell them to quarantine for a couple of weeks and others (possibly such as Yerg's employer) are asking them to go and get a PCR test to confirm the result.

I suppose if you wanted to compare current numbers to the old system, you'd multiply by 3.5 or so and have an approximation of what reported cases would be like before it went PCR only.

Given the above, I wouldn't expect deaths to change much, we'll probably see a bit of a spike in a couple of months time once the government officially opens everything up, then return to something like now over a month or two, then slowly decrease over the following months.
You seem very confident about the figure status, but you mention about seeing a spike when the country opens, and afterwards the numbers decreasing. Are you talking about the spike of covid illness or deaths. I would have thought with the governments preparation and it's rules they would be banking of no change. Or would they have a contingency plan, knowing there will be a risk and rise in numbers.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic