SOLDIER OF KHMER ROUGE WAR INTERVIEW

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

SOLDIER OF KHMER ROUGE WAR INTERVIEW

Post by MrB »

This is an interview with a man who was forced into labour in the fields of Siem Reap by the Khmer Rouge, he witnessed horrific war crimes & then spent 5 years fighting to reclaim his country, this is his story. I know of no other interview on the web of this kind.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: SOLDIER OF KHMER ROUGE WAR INTERVIEW

Post by John Bingham »

The title screen shows a picture of Hem Keth Dara from MONATIO and not Khmer Rouge. How long is it going to take people to figure out that these were completely different groups?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
MrB
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by MrB »

It is tagged as KR soldier almost everywhere
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

MrB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:57 am It is tagged as KR soldier almost everywhere
I know, but it's not true. Anyway, this video's title is also misleading. I first thought it meant a Khmer Rouge soldier, instead it's a PRK soldier. There's too much of a language barrier and too many leading questions for it to be interesting.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

In case you are curious, here's the actual story behind Hem Keth Dara's shortlived "Nationalist Movement"

The illusion of joyous reconciliation was fostered, briefly, when a contingent of black-clad soldiers marched down Phnom Penh’s Monivong Boulevard early on the morning of the 17th to take the surrender of the armor and infantry soldiers near the Hotel Le Phnom. After the government troops put down their weapons, they were smilingly told to go home. Civilians nearby began embracing and crying with joy, joined by the black-clad uniformed arrivals. Those not too elated to notice such things, however, quickly realized that these men were too clean, too neatly dressed, and too untired to be front-line troops. In fact, they were not Khmer Rouge soldiers at all but Phnom Penh students, led a general’s son named Hem Keth Data, whose bizarre attempt to take power before the Khmer Rouge arrived was apparently undertaken on behalf of the perpetually scheming Lon Non. In the confusion of the day Keth Dara succeeded a little later in taking control of the government radio station, announcing himself in a four-minute broadcast as head of the “Nationalist Movement.” His followers he called “younger brothers” who had seized Phnom Penh in order “to allow elder brothers from outside” – presumably the Khmer Rouge – to enter the city without fighting.

https://ki-media.blogspot.com/2008/01/i ... ctual.html
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

MrB wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:57 am It is tagged as KR soldier almost everywhere
Maybe you should lay off the sensitive material. Maybe just stick to some wildlife stuff and possibly you could do a few temples here and there but I hesitate to say that you are qualified for that also. I know, why don't you man up and do something contemporary? Just don't get into anything historical because that's when the problems start, for you, at least.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:11 am I know, why don't you man up and do something contemporary?
??
I don't agree with many of Mr B's historical interpretations either (nor with many of yours, Bosso).
But why the spit in the face?
and PS - If you think the KR story is not contemporary, perhaps you can explain to us why.

Not trying to pick a fight, but i will stand up for anybody with the work rate of Mr B against cheap easy pot-shots on an internet forum.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

@SternAAlbifrons .....its coz he's your friend I guess. I take it easy on my friends too, way too easy. First comments to Mr B ever so I added them all up and this came out. No cheap shot, this is just my gut response to his historical work on this period. I did not look at the video or do much background on this mistakenly worded piece here because JB and Andy already did and they both have bulletproof reputations here. Mr B does not in my opinion have such a record and he mostly strikes me as an opportunist that is interested in repeating standard interpretations that are often wrong all together vs. biting the bullet and learning something that might injure his thesis or his production.
The KR story is not current at all, the last legions of KR have been gone a long time now. Any interpretations of that period you or I may have for the KR of then is best left off of an open internet forum like this. This decision to not engage thru posting here in specific matters of that period is one I have come to recently and I find is best for me. That's not to say that I might comment here and there especially when I feel my input, however unpopular, might be needed.

@MrB I am sorry if I was too sharp here and I will try to look after aspects of your work that interest me more in the coming days. If you are a friend of Stern's than you must be a worthy fellow, because that seasoned warrior does not miss when he shoots. Perhaps I need to produce a thread after working on it some to appreciate the work of others and I can then treat posters with more sensitivity and the respect they deserve. Once again I am sorry for being disrespectful in my comments to Mr B.
Kohker
BANNED
Austria

Post by Kohker »

bossho wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:07 am @SternAAlbifrons .....its coz he's your friend I guess. I take it easy on my friends too, way too easy. First comments to Mr B ever so I added them all up and this came out. No cheap shot, this is just my gut response to his historical work on this period. I did not look at the video or do much background on this mistakenly worded piece here because JB and Andy already did and they both have bulletproof reputations here. Mr B does not in my opinion have such a record and he mostly strikes me as an opportunist that is interested in repeating standard interpretations that are often wrong all together vs. biting the bullet and learning something that might injure his thesis or his production.
The KR story is not current at all, the last legions of KR have been gone a long time now. Any interpretations of that period you or I may have for the KR of then is best left off of an open internet forum like this. This decision to not engage thru posting here in specific matters of that period is one I have come to recently and I find is best for me. That's not to say that I might comment here and there especially when I feel my input, however unpopular, might be needed.

@MrB I am sorry if I was too sharp here and I will try to look after aspects of your work that interest me more in the coming days. If you are a friend of Stern's than you must be a worthy fellow, because that seasoned warrior does not miss when he shoots. Perhaps I need to produce a thread after working on it some to appreciate the work of others and I can then treat posters with more sensitivity and the respect they deserve. Once again I am sorry for being disrespectful in my comments to Mr B.
You write so much but say so little.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Fair enough, Bosso.
I can be quite scornful at times too (although i try to aim at the issue or the attitude, not so much for the person, i hope)
Mr B is not my friend by the way. but because he is at least as "odd" as everybody else here :D he could probably quite easily become one. that's my main qualification.

I havn't got time right now to fully explain why i think KR "history" is alive, well and still a major influence on everyday life in Cambodia - but just a few pertinent points off the top of my head...

- Everybody here aged above 42 lived thru KR rule.
- Everybody aged above maybe 25-30 lived when the KR were still a major force in large parts of the country, and in national politics.
- (According to all recognised medical standards) a huge proportion of Cambodians have what is commonly called PTSD, at high level - or were bought up by parents who have high level PTSD.
Ignoring the root cause of this damage is not useful, in fact the opposite is true for both individuals and for the nation if it wants to move on.
ps, this is one (of 2 or 3) of the main reasons why you, me and everybody runs into some kind of major fuck up every single day. I find it helps me a great deal if i recognise this.
- Many people long in their hearts for understanding of WTF that whole period was all about. Most Cambodians are genuinely mystified.
- Many people long for justice and some accountability from those many perps who are still alive and thriving - moving amongst them on the street this morning.
Don't be deceived into thinking that is all accepted, resolved or forgotten by everybody, just because you can't easily see inside the Khmer heart.
- It is important for people to understand the factors that have directly and immediately shaped the whole social, political, cultural, commercial landscape that they live in.

I can go on with a lot longer list if you want...
I could also pour some scorn on your views about this too - but i won't. :)

lol. Have a nice day everybody. despite the raging History Wars, it's still a lovely day outside in the sun.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic