45 Live Monkeys Imported from Thailand for Human Consumption

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

45 Live Monkeys Imported from Thailand for Human Consumption

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia News (Phnom Penh): On the afternoon of October 1, 2021, the Wildlife Conservation forces, working with the Thai police, chased down a Toyota pickup truck that was suspected of breaking laws on wildlife trafficking. The officials forced the truck to a halt and discovered that the truck was loaded with 15 baskets of fruits, which were piled on top of the four cages of 45 hidden monkeys.
The monkeys, all around 2 months to 1 year old, were being transported from Phichit province, Thailand, to Cambodia and China to be sold for human consumption. One of the monkeys was found dead, but the 44 live monkeys were handed over to conservation groups at Hua Kan Trang mountain in Prachinburi province to be released in the wild.
Unfortunately, the illegal wildlife traffickers managed to escape the scene after they crashed to a halt, leaving behind the pickup truck, the monkeys, an ATM card of Amsin Bank belonging to a man named Vattanak Sopheap, and two number plates.
The authorities are searching for the owner of the truck and other suspects.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Re: 45 Live Monkeys Imported from Thailand for Human Consumption

Post by hanno »

Unfortunately, the illegal wildlife traffickers managed to escape the scene after they
paid off the coppers.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Did you realise that humans eat more bananas than monkeys?
This did not surprise me, as I have never seen anyone eating a monkey.

Which brings to conjecture, would monkeys even like human consumption?
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm Did you realise that humans eat more bananas than monkeys?

The Chinese do. I will not be surprised to see monkey meat in some select Chinese restaurants here in the city.
Boredom is like a shroud
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:41 pm Did you realise that humans eat more bananas than monkeys?

Good question. Chimpanzees are often thought of as a type of monkey. But chimpanzees aren't monkeys. Chimps are instead great apes, belonging to a family of mammals known as Hominidae.

Why would a chimpanzee attack a human?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... panzee-at/

Always "hope" but never "expect".
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

I presume that the live monkey meat on the truck was destined for Chinese restaurants in Cambodia.
(Don't think they were planning to drive to China from Thailand with a live load of animals, that's what planes are for. :horse: )

Anyway, good work, 44 monkeys saved from the pot or BBQ.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

AndyKK wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Good question. Chimpanzees are often thought of as a type of monkey. But chimpanzees aren't monkeys. Chimps are instead great apes, belonging to a family of mammals known as Hominidae.

Why would a chimpanzee attack a human?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... panzee-at/

Yes, and the Orangutang, being the smartest of our closest animal relations. Man of the Forest.

Something my mother-in-law couldn't come to terms with over a certain unfortunately-worded comment I made, "or woman of the forest", as an equality thing. I just happened to be looking at her at the time.

I may have pointed, slightly, as well. Purely unconscious, but she kept focusing on the physical rather than the mental context.

This picture illustrates the intelligence in the eyes of the Great Ape:

https://images.app.goo.gl/GS97wKJd9P3NJBpK8

I didn't have time to find a Orangutang photo.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Man is by far the most brutal, reckless, dangerously unpredictable and socially dysfunctional of the Great Apes. Hands down.

Then... Gorillas, Women, Bonobos - take your pick for 2nd but they all trail a very long way behind The Beast
- us ordinary everyday Homo sapien blokes.

:Yahoo!:
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Apart from brutal, reckless, dangerously unpredictable, socially dysfunctional , and environmentally narrow-minded and self-centred, while, unknowingly, inferior to women (you missed one), we're perfect?

The reason for the latter, as you know, dates back 50,000 years, give or take a decemillenium, before God had created anything to actually exist.

This was the time when the Neanderthals and the modern day Homo sapiens first mated (I am led to believe the Denisovans crashed a few parties, as well).

The Neanderthals were tool makers and an ugly bunch, but they were men's men. And so were the women.

The female homos - this is as they were affectionately referred to, while the males adopted homo erectus, or erecti - in particular, were attractive, very very attractive in comparison to their ancestors-to-be, who were still hanging around in the evolutionary cusp.

The male homos, also good looking roosters, were not interested in the female 'derthals', and looked down on the subspecies, preferring to explore themselves and learn a variety of sciences, with a fondness of anatomy.

Cut a long, short, (you're welcome) the male Neanderthals danced the cucumber rumba with the lady homos, while the male homos were doing the chocolate cha cha. Most of the latter were eaten, with a few integrating, and staying incognito for 50,000 years, give or take a decemillenium.

The majority of the female neanders were thought to be men for the entire time, and went unnoticed, until the Olympics. Others went to live in the sea, and are now Blobfish.

The female homos babies took on female genes with some of the unfortunate male stuff incorporated. The male now-homo sapiens could lift heavy things and the girls quickly caught on that if you stroke them they will work harder and fetch money... you get the rest - Result: Marge and Homer Simpson, and offspring (the show has been right about everything else). Ugh!
P.s. Marge is hanging around because she is easily replaceable whereas they would have to train another Homer.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

cabron wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:51 pm

The Chinese do. I will not be surprised to see monkey meat in some select Chinese restaurants here in the city.
The Brain is what is most liked
What religion eats monkey brains? Google
Monkey brains have traditionally been eaten in parts of China an South East Asia because people believe they will be imbued with ancient wisdom. The Vietnamese dish dating back to the 19th Century is called Nao Hau - which means ''monkey brains'' and remains
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic