thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: thailand out to nickle and dime ya to death

Post by snookieboi »

hanno wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:13 pm Personally, I cannot really think of a country in the region that offers better value for money than Thailand. I'd happily pay that measly fee right now if I could go to LOS.
I wasn't talking about that region either. SEA is quite a trip getting there. There are many closer options for British travellers. However you might prefer to pay expensive Thai taxes, and take a plethora of unnecessary Covid tests.

That isn't to say I don't like Thailand, because I do like Thailand; it's just that it's becoming more expensive these days and it's no longer as competitive as its rivals.
The tide has changed people are thinking about the price of these COVID tests and increased Taxes and thinking bugger that I'll go elsewhere, (because it really does look like they don't really want the Tourist, but they do want the money) then I can't be bothered with that kind of an attitude! That's just the way peeps think when they pull stunts like that. The Tourist isn't so uninformed these days, that they don't have other options to consider.
Last edited by snookieboi on Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
More than just any old backpacker.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

hanno wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:13 pm Personally, I cannot really think of a country in the region that offers better value for money than Thailand. I'd happily pay that measly fee right now if I could go to LOS.
See, it's all about the money for some people. Me, I'm more of a soul man. 8-)
Silence, exile, and cunning.
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:28 pm
See, it's all about the money for some people. Me, I'm more of a soul man. 8-)
Then Sir, we shall meet up in Memphis Tennessee.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

snookieboi wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 pm
I wasn't talking about that region either. SEA is quite a trip getting there. There are many closer options for British travellers. However you might prefer to pay expensive Thai taxes, and take a plethora of unnecessary Covid tests.

That isn't to say I don't like Thailand, because I do like Thailand; it's just that it's becoming more expensive these days and it's no longer as competitive as its rivals.
The tide has changed people are thinking about the price of these COVID tests and increased Taxes and thinking bugger that I'll go elsewhere, (because it really does look like they don't really want the Tourist, but they do want the money) then I can't be bothered with that kind of an attitude! That's just the way peeps think when they pull stunts like that. The Tourist isn't so uninformed these days, that they don't have other options to consider.
BS: disregarding Covid,
i found living in Phuket was more affordable and had more choices for better food, quality accommodations, shopping, entertainment than i have here in Kep, Kampot or even PP

as to not competitive... how so?

VERY VERY few things are less expensive in Kep, Kampot or even PP than Phuket ( not talking tourist shit) but basic day to day expenses and food costs

Yea, yea , some of you all will try an keep alive that Cambodia is cheaper but in reality...... its not.

as to people are kinder, more open, i call ya out on that as well, not saying khmers are not friendly, but no more so than thai's, at least in my experience.

and dont pull crap and say, than "why are you here?" i have my reasons

Carry on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Who ever said Cambodia was cheaper?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Tourist cost considerations are a bit different to resident expats which I thought was the point of the thread. Long-haul flight costs as airlines restart, compulsory travel insurance, pre and post medical tests, a bit extra airport tax. I still think the quantity, quality and price of hotel accomodation is great in Thailand, but I'm not a tourist comparing it to other potential holiday destinations elsewhere in the world , for all I know better value may exist elsewhere. I've refined my budget in all areas over time with the knowledge of best value living here, the cost experience and pattern of expenditure is most likely a bit different for a tourist.

Generally speaking Is there anywhere where basic prices don't gradually increase ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

You cant get a nice hotel room with a swimming pool and friendly staff for 25$ in Phuket. But you can get it in Siem Reap. Western food, wine in restaurants is also cheaper and better in SR than in Phuket. Have friends living in Phuket who came regularly every 3-4 months for a week or two to SR to enjoy Khmer hospitality.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

I am 3 months in phuket now, Ibis hotel, 500 bath or 16 U$ a night, and because i stay so long, they offered my platinium-mebership from Ibis, which gives me free breakfast, all included in that 500 baht, and there is a nice pool and the staff is friendly. Knever found such things any place in KOW !!
snookieboi
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by snookieboi »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:25 am
snookieboi wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:44 pm

BS: disregarding Covid,
i found living in Phuket was more affordable and had more choices for better food, quality accommodations, shopping, entertainment than i have here in Kep, Kampot or even PP

as to not competitive... how so?

VERY VERY few things are less expensive in Kep, Kampot or even PP than Phuket ( not talking tourist shit) but basic day to day expenses and food costs

Yea, yea , some of you all will try an keep alive that Cambodia is cheaper but in reality...... its not.

as to people are kinder, more open, i call ya out on that as well, not saying khmers are not friendly, but no more so than thai's, at least in my experience.

and dont pull crap and say, than "why are you here?" i have my reasons

Carry on
Why Cambodia? Vietnam is Cheaper. Yes, Phuket was cheapish when I was there because they reduced prices due to low turnout of Tourists , a few years ago.
You live there and have your own nice house, so have a different situation.

I enjoyed my brief stay there, but prefer Koh Phan Gan, over it, as it's too Westernised feeling. But loved Phuket Town..

Actually there are many cheap and interesting options, depending where you're coming from. For Brits like me, I would return to Thailand, but only when the testing is relaxed further or scrapped.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic