Thailand "justifies" dual medical pricing

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Thailand "justifies" dual medical pricing

Post by phuketrichard »

unreal;;
Court rules for Health Ministry, calls dual pricing beneficial
In a closely-followed court case, the Administrative Court in Phetchaburi ruled that multi-tiered “dual pricing” in Thai hospitals are not discriminatory as they benefit Thailand. Ewrin Buse, who sued the Ministry of Public Health after discovering he was being charged more for his cancer treatment as a foreigner, vowed to appeal the decision.

Erwin said the court took the Ministry at its word instead of fact-checking statements and that a recent change in how the Ministry defines labour costs allowed it to justify the dual pricing retroactively. The ruling seemed to be based solely on the assumption that foreigners have and earn more money, so they can afford to pay more which benefits the Thai economy.

“The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”
a 4-tier pricing system based on legal status within Thailand. The lowest prices were charged for citizens of Thailand and prices might be the same or slightly higher for those who come from other ASEAN or neighbouring countries.

Fees start to climb significantly at the third tier for people on non-immigrant visas like working foreigners and expats and costs often skyrocket for the fourth tier which includes international tourists and those who are retired in Thailand.

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/co ... oRWkUliE5M
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand "justifies" dual medical pricing

Post by Chuck Borris »

LOS. S for scam.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

It's an evil country, worse than Mexico.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
La Quenta
Expatriate
Swaziland

Post by La Quenta »

Another example of why i dont live there.

Nice people in general. Interesting culture. Pretty in many parts.

But the powers that be (Government , Police etc) openly don't like you because you are a foreigner, and it makes the place unwelcoming.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:47 pm unreal;;

“The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”
[/quote]
In that case it would depend on the socioeconomic status of an individual not a race, therefore it is discrimination! :?
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Fuck the Thailand system.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

thailand can be heaven in one moment and hell in the next.
work is for people who cant find truffles
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:47 pm “The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”
I hope this is some kind of poor translation or a case of missing context or something, because as it stands that sentence is mental.
I’m guessing the original may likely have been something more like “it benefits Thailand therefore doesn’t qualify for discrimination protection” or something.
Multipox
Expatriate
Andorra

Post by Multipox »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:47 pm unreal;;
and antifa in the US calls white people "racist"

but it's just an excuse for the thais to get more money
let the thais price themselves out of the market while other countries are nipping at their heels
When I need advice about life, I just check in here.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nerdlinger wrote:
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:47 pm “The pricing was set on an appropriate basis of socioeconomic status, and it benefits Thailand, so it therefore doesn’t count as discrimination.”
I hope this is some kind of poor translation or a case of missing context or something, because as it stands that sentence is mental.
I’m guessing the original may likely have been something more like “it benefits Thailand therefore doesn’t qualify for discrimination protection” or something.
What about Thai millionaires?

I personally don't see anything wrong with it, but their reasoning is worse than that for a four year old. It should be based either on citizenship or residence. If you're working and paying taxes, I don't see how they can justify you being in a different tier.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic