Thailand "justifies" dual medical pricing

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Thailand "justifies" dual medical pricing

Post by TWY »

Personally, I have no issue with the dual pricing at hospitals in Thailand.

They tell you the price upfront for everything. Going to have a X-ray? they tell you its 950 baht prior to doing it? Doctor wants bloodwork done? They tell you its 1200 baht before taking the blood.

And different hospitals have different prices. So if your at Bangkok hospital in Phuket and want a cheaper X-ray there are clinics nearby that advertise cheaper prices.

And I've almost always felt like I've received very good care.

Try getting the price for something at a hospital in the USA prior to getting treatment.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Note the dual pricing, ( actually 4 tier pricing)
is ONLY at government hospitals.

private hospitals i have found the price is same for everyone..

I have no problem with this 4 tier system as well, ( those on retirement extensions are fucked) as tax payers and the government subsidizes the hospital's
even at the bottom tier, i found that the government Vachira Phuket Hospital or Thalang hospital in Phuket, is usually 50-60% of what Bangkok international charges
what i object to is their reasoning to defend it..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I kinda understand this. Foreign money does benefit Thailand. Particularly with medical tourists, you are consuming goods and services that could go to Thai citizens.

If I was a foreign resident of Thailand. I could see this getting annoying.

PS-Different prices at different hospitals? Interesting.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Thailand's subsidized public healthcare system is a bit of a mess. As an expat foreigner, you'd be well advised to have decent health insurance and use private hospitals instead.

Personally, I've never used a public hospital, if only because I don't like waiting rooms - at a private hospital, I'm being seen the minute I walk in. Whenever I've accompanied someone to a public hospital, on the other hand, they spent a lot of time waiting and running the gauntlet from one department to the next.

That being said, tax and social security paying expats contribute heavily to the public system, so to charge those of us who want to use the public system more than Thais is a bit rich.
Strawberryshake
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Strawberryshake »

My friend got a heart attack in Phuket and had to negotiate with his doctors the medical fees at the operation table.🤢🤢. Then 6 weeks later checkups revealed the operation was done wrongly and he was a ticking time bomb. They suggested to re-operate instead he left and never came back!
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand

Post by nerdlinger »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 amWhat about Thai millionaires?
Presumably they’d be going to a premium private hospital anyway.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thailand

Post by duran »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:01 am What about Thai millionaires?
They go to Mayo Clinic.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Big Daikon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:01 pm I kinda understand this. Foreign money does benefit Thailand. Particularly with medical tourists, you are consuming goods and services that could go to Thai citizens.
I kinda understand this. Foreign money does benefit Thailand. Particularly with tourism, you are consuming goods and services that go to Thai citizens!
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

Yobbo wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:01 pm I kinda understand this. Foreign money does benefit Thailand. Particularly with medical tourists, you are consuming goods and services that could go to Thai citizens.
I kinda understand this. Foreign money does benefit Thailand. Particularly with tourism, you are consuming goods and services that go to Thai citizens!
Yes, that is a conundrum.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

2 experiences with Thai hospitals...A broken foot (slid off a wet roof and landed on a water meter) 900 baht in 2000 and an appendectimy in around 2003 which cost 6245 baht at the Thaksin hospital.
It was great back then.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic