laptop aut pleung no power - anyone have any luck?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

laptop aut pleung no power - anyone have any luck?

Post by bossho »

Has anyone ever gotten a laptop to work again after it wont take a charge and the power button feels spongy and all wrong, two shops won't even try on it because they just look at it and think the motherboard could be be bad and I don't know how they can tell that without testing it.
I know some or most laptops can just run on AC but that is not happening either. If it is time to give up and bury it - does anyone have ideas as far as salvage? Where to bring it for that or donate it- there's supposedly $20-$30 in precious metals in a typical laptop.

Thank you for any and all remarks.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: laptop aut pleung no power - anyone have any luck?

Post by AndyKK »

bossho, funny you should mention this just now! I too have had troubles with one of my laptops, for some reason it had lost some of it's boot up program according to the fault codes. Anyhow, I looked into BIOS access and configuration, even tried to install Windows 10 after trying repair. No luck with any of it, so to a computer repair shop, they gave up and took it too another shop, has I found out trying to collect my computer. The guy said can't fix, motherboard problem. Can sell to shop $20. It sits still in my bag from my return.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:11 am Has anyone ever gotten a laptop to work again after it wont take a charge and the power button feels spongy and all wrong, two shops won't even try on it because they just look at it and think the motherboard could be be bad and I don't know how they can tell that without testing it.
I know some or most laptops can just run on AC but that is not happening either. If it is time to give up and bury it - does anyone have ideas as far as salvage? Where to bring it for that or donate it- there's supposedly $20-$30 in precious metals in a typical laptop.

Thank you for any and all remarks.
You're in hell now.

Might be the wall socket being faulty (highly unlikely)
Might be your cable being faulty (more likely)
Might be the cable connector in your laptop being faulty (more likely)
If the connector is not soldered onboard it might be the connector-motherboard-battery connection inside the laptop is faulty (very unlikely, usually soldered on and protected inside)
It might be the keyboard switch is faulty (very likely because you mentioned 'spongy').

So... What you need is a skilled electrician to spend an hour or so on your laptop without aiming for a major sale.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Well, @AndyKK and @Kammekor what shops, may I ask, have you tried? ideas on other shops?
Kammekor, you are right here, don't know any- do you?

There is some kind cpr tool for laptops that have this no power problem and they plugged it into that and it did not work at all - and these guys gave up when they saw that from all the experience they have- this was at Quikfix in Toul Tom Pong area, which is now doubled in size and the two techs there that day were mellow fellows easy to get along with.

thanks guys!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:10 am Well, @AndyKK and @Kammekor what shops, may I ask, have you tried? ideas on other shops?
Kammekor, you are right here, don't know any- do you?

There is some kind cpr tool for laptops that have this no power problem and they plugged it into that and it did not work at all - and these guys gave up when they saw that from all the experience they have- this was at Quikfix in Toul Tom Pong area, which is now doubled in size and the two techs there that day were mellow fellows easy to get along with.

thanks guys!
I don't know, I used Chantra before but they don't do repairs anymore.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Ya, I thought you were a Sparkie by the way you was talking or maybe you knew a Sparkie. I think its time to put a fork in her and call it done.

ciao Lord Kammelander, Esquire of the North Woods
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I took it to Mix Brand Computer street 508, its a shop run by youngsters who seem knowledgeable, but I must have been wrong because they would not answer messages. When I went to see what was happening and pick it up, the guy had too collect it from another shop. Yes, they passed it on because they couldn't fix it.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic