Leaving with more than 10k

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Leaving with more than 10k

Post by Spigzy »

I would avoid carrying cash of that magnitude for all the reasons above, etc. Why can you not transfer the money over time via traditional means whilst overseas? If you're leaving Cambodia, but your internet banking here works fine, then I would just use that and empty it over time.

Even if say you were trying to get $1m out of the country, I've got to think it is better to use a bank to do a traditional transfer overseas & let them tackle all the paperwork & clearances. Not something you want to be carrying, ever.

And before "they" get here - why not buy Bitcoin/Ethereum, and then cash it out when you get 'there'. (yeah I know, completely impractical for the most part, but it is an alternative to avoid any 'imperial entanglements'.)

[edit: seeing you have a UK flag on your profile, assuming you're heading back there - if not having a UK account to transfer to is the problem:
1. Open an account with Starling Bank 100% online/app (you just need a relative at an address to give you the bank card details when it arrives a day later to confirm the account opening. I used my parents address, got them to give me the details, job done.
2. Transfer from Cambodian account until you've emptied it.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Hawala 0r Hundi
usually will cost ya 2-5%
Untraceable

for less than $9,500 just wire from your bank to another
do it till ur $$ is all transferred, you will not be flagged doing it 2 even 3 times to the same account, unless you do it a few days in a row

if more than twice, wire to as different friends
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Mr.November
Expatriate
Poland

Post by Mr.November »

USDT

You just change your cash into USDT, and from anywhere transfer back your USDT into the local currency.

Extremely low fees in the process.
Agree, and you can actually make a small profit, depending on which country you are going to. You can buy USDT in Cambodia at 1:1 to USD on Binance (best P2P - it's free, and Binance acts as escrow), and in Europe/UK USDT is priced at a few percent premium!

You can buy USDT in Cambodia from local sellers (many small exchange shop owners buy/sell USDT). Find sellers on Binance P2P and chat with them directly and agree your preferred payment mode (cash, ABA). In the UK, you can cash out in GBP with a small profit - again with P2P, but you post sell offer this time, and you can ask for your chosen payment method.
You can open a Monzo or Wise account online without much trouble, or if that fails, you can get the Binance crypto card, or a crypto.com card, or open an IBAN/GBP account like dPocket that will send you debit card in 3 days... Or even ask the buyer to meet you and give you cash if you are not eligible for a bank account. Many ways to cash out USDT. It's easy, try it!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:39 pm Hawala 0r Hundi
usually will cost ya 2-5%
Untraceable
Ha, interesting that Hawala. I doubt it’d much use to the OP though.

Have you ever used it Richard?
People of the world, spice up your life.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I have left Cambodia with more than US$10,000. in Cash and entered Australia with the same cash.

On presenting myself to Immigration Control at Phnom Penh airport for my passport to be stamped I simply told the immigration officer that I was travelling with more than US$10,000. He was not in the least bit interested.

On arrival at Sydney airport I had completed the usual arrival declaration card that all incoming passengers have to complete, date and sign and I ticked the yes box for cash or currency instruments of U$10,000. or more. At inwards immigration/passport control I was very briefly asked why I was carrying so much cash and asked to complete a very simple and short form and complete the space for my Australian Tax File Number (TFN). And that was the end of it. Simplicity it's self and I was never contacted about it.

But for those that may be interested, here are the current rules for exiting and entering Australia with in excess of $10,000. Most other countries have similar procedures/requirements so check out what's required by your destination country and possibly any in-transit countries if applicable.

https://www.austrac.gov.au/individuals/ ... alia-money

OML
Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

“Travellers can carry an unlimited amount of money into and out of Australia.”
Well, I don’t think this applies to many other countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

It would appear, for example, that the United States has much the same sort of regulations/requirements:

What is the maximum amount of cash allowed to travel to USA?
$10,000 USD
You may bring large sums of money with you in the form of cash, money order, or traveler's checks. There is no maximum limit, however, any amount exceeding $10,000 USD must be declared upon arrival on both the Form 6059B and FinCEN 105. All forms must be filled in completely and truthfully.

So, obviously, Australia is not an isolated example.

OML
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

If they have your tax number and ID they can check. If it doesn’t go into your bank account they will know. They know how much money you’ve sent overseas and what’s come back. They know.

If you ring any bells they’ll speak to you.

It’s not rocket science.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Sirhaden1
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Sirhaden1 »

Mikep wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:57 am I will be leaving Cambodia soon and need to take a larger amount of cash than the 10k allowed in the customs regulations- is there a process before hand you need to follow to facilitate this as I need to take cash not a bank check, the last time I did this for legitimate reasons - the customs at the airport on departure wanted to charge me tax on the amounts I had

Any helpful info would be appreciated

Thanks
But BTC for cash and sell it for cash in the country you arrive in.
Ot Mean Loi
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Ot Mean Loi »

I suggest that persons contemplating leaving Cambodia, by whatever means, with $10,000 equivalent or more, carefully read this General Department of Customs and Excise Cambodia directive and act accordingly. Or risk confiscation of currency/currency instruments/equivalents you are transporting.

http://v1.customs.gov.kh/customs-proced ... urrencies/

OML
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic