Leaving with more than 10k

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Ong Tay
Expatriate
Vietnam

Re: Leaving with more than 10k

Post by Ong Tay »

Bubble T wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:00 pm
Cambo Dear wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:24 pm You can transfer 9,999 USD by bank without any questions asked. Above that, you have to declare. However, there are no limits on number of transactions.

*That information is correct as of 2015 so things may have changed but the bank staff are generally very au fait with the procedures for transfers.
This isn't correct in many situations. There is a crime which in most countries is called "Structuring" or "parceling" which is basically the act of deliberately splitting up transactions to avoid triggering alerts and questions. A transaction of "almost $10k" is highly likely to draw suspicion of precicely that offence. Cambodia is highly unlikely to care, but the country you're transferring the money to might. You'd raise much less suspicion by doing it all in one go and coming up with a legitimate explanation for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structuring
Isn't "structuring" what got the former US Republican House Speaker Dennis Hastert in trouble? He was found to be "structuring" payments to young men he once molested as a coach to buy their silence? :bad:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 pm
proof that it was acquired legitimately
What would be constituted as proof? Not trying to be smart and a genuine question.

I guess you could show a local bank statement with a recent withdrawal amounting to that. But what if your money in that account was originally swift transferred in from your home country bank account? How do they know that money is legit? So, would a bank statement cut it?

What else would they want to see that it is legit?
They will just 'follow the money'. If the money has been wired from overseas and you can't proof how it was legally earned there the authorities @ for instance Pochentong will be looking for the latest Landcruiser a day later.
There must be a reason the large Toyota dealership is so close to the airport....

If you get cought with too many valuables at an airport 'innocent until' is void. 'Taken in custody until legally acquired proven' is applicable then.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Even without a Cambodian bank account this deal can be transferred offshore to pretty much wherever.
No need to carry more than 10k around, in fact you may not rest if it was loose in a bag. You don't to overly crease some hundred dollar bills or comparable note and have them on your person and then fly over one of the globe's oceans. Over $9000 flags you and you'd be subject to some funky cold medina laws and regulations in the little spaces between nations and the laws you think you know. Do really want that kind of stress ? You are risking significant loss or at least subjecting yourself to loss of liquidity for an indeterminate time while it's investigated. Airport security, customs, and cyber police are all reporting record fraud amounts each month this pandemic drags on. Think twice before rolling up and giving them an easy case to seize on and make your life hell. I can't imagine any situation where collecting cash at your destination would not work with all the cash moving methods available today.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:35 pm
clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:22 pm
proof that it was acquired legitimately
What would be constituted as proof? Not trying to be smart and a genuine question.

I guess you could show a local bank statement with a recent withdrawal amounting to that. But what if your money in that account was originally swift transferred in from your home country bank account? How do they know that money is legit? So, would a bank statement cut it?

What else would they want to see that it is legit?
They will just 'follow the money'. If the money has been wired from overseas and you can't proof how it was legally earned there the authorities @ for instance Pochentong will be looking for the latest Landcruiser a day later.
There must be a reason the large Toyota dealership is so close to the airport....

If you get cought with too many valuables at an airport 'innocent until' is void. 'Taken in custody until legally acquired proven' is applicable then.
Indeed! Another example might be someone with a fetish for fine watches, and wearing a different one each day. It may seem an exaggeration, but eyebrow raising stuff happens. You might own ten watches. You may have zero intent in selling any of them. But you’re now crossing a border with undeclared goods beyond what might be deemed reasonable.
In a past employment, couriers frequently carried briefcases full of sparkly stuff. So it’s not uncharted territory.

Getting back to the issue- transporting significant amounts of your own money. Declare it, if it’s legit.
Thinking practically- A valid reason for carrying it out of the country by hand is the simple fact that the banking system in Cambodia is not quite on par with some of the rest of the world. Cost implications.
A query to ones own bank at your intended destination might elicit a simple answer.
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Pay slips, tax returns, bank statements.
Scarier than malaria.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

Get a couple of these babies. Easy to fold to cig-sized rolls and hide them discreetly.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Not much use outside Singapore and you’d struggle to get them exchanged anywhere as they stopped printing them in 1980.
Once deposited into a Singaporean bank they get withdrawn from circulation.
People of the world, spice up your life.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

mannanman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 pm Not much use outside Singapore and you’d struggle to get them exchanged anywhere as they stopped printing them in 1980.
2014, not 1980. This is the portrait series, first introduced in 1999, so 1980 is a flawed and laughable guess in a desperate effort to up the post count.

Nicolas
Expatriate
France

Post by Nicolas »

Mikep wrote:I will be leaving Cambodia soon and need to take a larger amount of cash than the 10k allowed in the customs regulations- is there a process before hand you need to follow to facilitate this as I need to take cash not a bank check, the last time I did this for legitimate reasons - the customs at the airport on departure wanted to charge me tax on the amounts I had

Any helpful info would be appreciated

Thanks
USDT

You just change your cash into USDT, and from anywhere transfer back your USDT into the local currency.

Extremely low fees in the process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

duran wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:06 pm
mannanman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:45 pm Not much use outside Singapore and you’d struggle to get them exchanged anywhere as they stopped printing them in 1980.
2014, not 1980. This is the portrait series, first introduced in 1999, so 1980 is a flawed and laughable guess in a desperate effort to up the post count.

Yes that’s true. I post to up my post count, that I’ve never looked at.

My points still stands. Look at your own post about money laundering and withdrawing the notes. You’d be hard pressed to even find one (in Singapore) and even you did it’s a collectors item and it’s value will be more than $10k USD. Oh the irony.

We are talking about leaving Cambodia with cash. What’s $10k SGD got to do with it?! Lol.

(That’s one more post. Thanks)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic