shipping a debit card???

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

shipping a debit card???

Post by HappyChappy »

DHL do a pretty solid currier service for something the size of a book so had considered using them.........until I saw NO DEBIT / CREDIT CARDS in there terms and conditions.

So is there a service that specializes in the shipping of cards specifically or should I just use DHL and assume no one is going to check it anyway??

I have a feeling I'm going to get a level of stick for this post because I'm sure it's something I could figure out myself, but I've been trying to figure out a solution for too long with no luck..............so.......... help me!!!!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: shipping a debit card???

Post by timmydownawell »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm DHL do a pretty solid currier service for something the size of a book so had considered using them.........until I saw NO DEBIT / CREDIT CARDS in there terms and conditions.

So is there a service that specializes in the shipping of cards specifically or should I just use DHL and assume no one is going to check it anyway??

I have a feeling I'm going to get a level of stick for this post because I'm sure it's something I could figure out myself, but I've been trying to figure out a solution for too long with no luck..............so.......... help me!!!!
Citibank sent mine by Aus Post and it was delivered to my corner. Not even registered! Cambodia Post delivery guy called me and I went down and collected it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

HappyChappy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 pm DHL do a pretty solid currier service for something the size of a book so had considered using them.........until I saw NO DEBIT / CREDIT CARDS in there terms and conditions.

They will allow if you sign for the fact the card has not been activated yet.
If it has been activated and gets lost and someone uses it they're covered and you're fucked
HappyChappy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by HappyChappy »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm

If it has been activated and gets lost and someone uses it they're covered and you're fucked
Ah yea I can freeze it I couldn't care less, totally deactivated until I have it.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Can you activate overseas anymore? I was advised by one of my banks (I don’t recal which one) a while back that the card would be blocked if it was first used in a foreign ATM, or if there was suspicious activity when activating online.

The Uk banking sector has become a bit too Stroppy.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:02 pm Can you activate overseas anymore? I was advised by one of my banks (I don’t recal which one) a while back that the card would be blocked if it was first used in a foreign ATM, or if there was suspicious activity when activating online.

I can't. Have to ask someone on my behalf to do it back home. Pain in the ass if you didn't prepare for it legally.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:02 pm Can you activate overseas anymore? I was advised by one of my banks (I don’t recal which one) a while back that the card would be blocked if it was first used in a foreign ATM, or if there was suspicious activity when activating online.

over the years have had numerous atm/ cc sent unactivated to thailand and most recently sent one atm from Phuket ems to Kep and one from the states to kep>
no problem>

my cards can be activated online or with a phone call ( citibank, siam commercial bank, chase)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:58 pm

That's right. A mate sent me a parcel of stuff from OZ via DHL. I had a uBank debit card in that that I told him to hide in the parcel. Anyway, it seems he just mixed it up with some other letters and declared it as 'papers' at DHL. The lady there actually went though the box to check all the items and low and behold found it! However, luckily my mate pointed out the card was not activated and it was in the original letter from the bank that said that. She said OK. I have heard of other people tho hiding the card better...like in a book or postcard. uBank wouldn't send to an overseas address. I was able to activate the uBank card online via their website or app.

With my Citibank debit card, they actually delivered it to my PP address via DHL within 4 days. I had to push them hard to do so though with a couple of phone calls. Again, I was able to activate it online. My 28 degrees (Latitude) credit card was delivered by DHL too. If it's sent by the bank originator, DHL are OK with it.
duran
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by duran »

Got mine via DHL. Bank in Germany sent the renewed credit card to my home address in Sydney (because they won't send it to any other address other than the one they have in their system) then from there a neighbor forwarded to me via DHL offered by Mail Boxes Etc Neutral Bay. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. Took a few days. Totally worth the A$90 for peace of mind and speed of delivery. Plus I love the tracking feature.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:45 pm over the years have had numerous atm/ cc sent unactivated to thailand and most recently sent one atm from Phuket ems to Kep and one from the states to kep>
no problem>

my cards can be activated online or with a phone call ( citibank, siam commercial bank, chase)
HappyChappy has a UK flag under his profile. Taking it on face value, I’m working on the principal that he’s not thinking about a US bank card.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic