Thinking of buying a Xiaomi phone?

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Thinking of buying a Xiaomi phone?

Post by cabron »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:16 pm [Mod edit: from another topic]

Been browsing phones and considering a Xiaomi/Redmi Note 10. Currently available for $179 for the 64GB one. 5G can wait until the following upgrade, no point in blowing money on a tech you can't use.
That is my nightmare I must replace my Apple 5s phone, i enjoy that phone but now 4 yrs old. The battery drains quickly, glitching screen and other fatigue signs, it's time to get a replacement unit. Bitterly I don't have timmydownwell phones expertise, I was told to stay away from, Oppo, Huawei and Vivo and I'm ready to ditch out $300. to replace my old phone. Could you please give some directions.
Thanking you in advance for any help.
Boredom is like a shroud
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

cabron wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 pm

Been browsing phones and considering a Xiaomi/Redmi Note 10. Currently available for $179 for the 64GB one. 5G can wait until the following upgrade, no point in blowing money on a tech you can't use.
That is my nightmare I must replace my Apple 5s phone, i enjoy that phone but now 4 yrs old. The battery drains quickly, glitching screen and other fatigue signs, it's time to get a replacement unit. Bitterly I don't have timmydownwell phones expertise, I was told to stay away from, Oppo, Huawei and Vivo and I'm ready to ditch out $300. to replace my old phone. Could you please give some directions.
This is the one I' considering: https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_10-10247.php click on Review for their review.

That site is good because you can click 'Compare' and put in other models to compares their specs against it. Some phones have detailed reviews and you can see photos taken with that model, charging speed, processor speed etc, and at the end it summarises the phone and suggests how others in a similar price band compare (e.g having 5G or NFC or other features).

I don't anticipate 5G being much available in Cambodia for a few years so unless you're planning on moving to a country that has it, it's not worth forking out extra for it right now, especially if it comes at the expense of other features in the ~$200 range.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

cabron wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:40 pm

The only thing I would add is that you need to be a bit savvy with android albeit I think the difference now with iphones is not what it used to be and the 2 are becoming more similar in terms of usability. Although I only played around once with an iphone a few years ago, as I'm more of an android fan, I found the iphone quite easy to use and the settings intuitive. Iphones have a reputation for this.

I don't know whether the transition from operating systems iphone>android is a big deal anymore but maybe it could be if you have no experience with android. Also, and as I covered in earlier posts, I fear the xiaomi phones are not necessarily easily configured to work well straight out of the box to newbies. They involve some tinkering and configuring and may be best suited to those that like or don't mind that. That's just my view on experience however I could be wrong on that.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Xiaomi phones are easy to use out of the box, but you have to be careful when setting it up because (like many brands) it will default your privacy setting in their favor and hide the settings deep in the 'settings menu' if you want to change them afterwards.

When it comes to the hardware, it's hard to find so much bang for your buck elsewhere.

But... There seems to be more and more prove (lately a report from Lithuanian secret service?) Xiaomi phones have build in software to spy on you. I don't know if it's true. If it is, I am fucked, because last year I exchanged my (five year old) iPhone SE for a Xiaomi Mynote 10. And what a difference that was ....
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

At 2/3 of the price of the iPhone...
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Yeah it's a shame Xiaomi didn't stay with the Android One programme, even if just for selected models. It just doesn't make commercial sense for them to do that though. Getting monthly software updates has been quite reassuring. Gonna stay with my phone a bit longer I think. It's hanging in there, truth is I just need some retail therapy.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:49 pm Yeah it's a shame Xiaomi didn't stay with the Android One programme, even if just for selected models. It just doesn't make commercial sense for them to do that though. Getting monthly software updates has been quite reassuring. Gonna stay with my phone a bit longer I think. It's hanging in there, truth is I just need some retail therapy.
If I recall well I had the option to update the OS of my Xiaomi Spyphone 10 three times over the last year. And yes, that were three different updates. Probably to spy on me even more. Or to hide what they were doing.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Xiaomi, oppo and vivo are good cheap phones.

Whatever you do just don't get a realme, made that mistake and bought the kid and I both realmes. For whatever reason the internet is trash on it, I'll have a vivo or oppo right next to it with the same Cellcard plan and it just refuses to load shit.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I bought two Vivo Y12 from the same shop and batch, they perform like two different phones, mine is the one that is problematic with being slow and bad camera compared to my partners.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

Darkcel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:26 pm Xiaomi, oppo and vivo are good cheap phones.

Whatever you do just don't get a realme, made that mistake and bought the kid and I both realmes. For whatever reason the internet is trash on it, I'll have a vivo or oppo right next to it with the same Cellcard plan and it just refuses to load shit.
I've had a Realme for a while now and it is kind of sucky in terms of page loading speed and I do pretty much hate it. Anyone else have a Realme review?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic