My trip to Sihanoukville

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: My trip to Sihanoukville

Post by rogerrabbit »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:10 am That's not centre of town. There is nothing like that in the centre and since at least 1996 (my first visit) there never was.
Well I guess I should have said central area and not centre of town. 20 minutes from Phsar Leu, 15 minutes from orange market, 5 minutes from Ekkareach street and 15 minutes from Occheteul beach by walking. I would consider that at least pretty central location if not exact downtown.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

SHV was a dusty (in dry season) stinky (every season) pit prone to serious floods, roads literally collapsing under you, proper garbage issues, weekly power cuts, water cuts and full of Thailand expat rejects.

Happy days.
People of the world, spice up your life.
drozd
Expatriate
Mexico

Post by drozd »

mannanman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:59 am SHV was a dusty (in dry season) stinky (every season) pit prone to serious floods, roads literally collapsing under you, proper garbage issues, weekly power cuts, water cuts and full of Thailand expat rejects.

Happy days.
Which could be said about every village, town or city in the country.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:51 am Super report @rogerrabbit. I just watched several fresh videos showing the wide roads, roomy sidewalks with generous building setbacks. Everything looks neat and clean for a modern city. Maybe even a city of hope.

But what does one do in a former ocean front city now covered head to toe in concrete and asphalt? Would I venture to another treeless concrete jungle? Would I want to expose myself to this Chinese gangland? Would I be tempted by the evils of gambling? Would I enjoy a six-month rainy season peering out from my 28th floor rats' nest tower? The answer is a big negative, from me.
roomy sidewalks

Don't believe it! Show me proof :D

Sidewalk = car park in PP.
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

mannanman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:59 am SHV was a dusty (in dry season) stinky (every season) pit prone to serious floods, roads literally collapsing under you, proper garbage issues, weekly power cuts, water cuts and full of Thailand expat rejects.

Happy days.
It’s still prone to serious flooding in low season.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm almost tempted to visit again, after having avoided the place like the plague for maybe 10 years. Keep the good news coming!
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:32 am

Happy days.
It’s still prone to serious flooding in low season.
So is Singapore.

The difference now is it dissipates quicker than before and the usual bottlenecks (LV Bridge, Ekereach St down from Viet embassy, suicide corner, M’Lop Tapang etc) have been updated.
Im sure there’s areas that still get flooded because of construction and lack of drainage but I’d hope they will be looked at, or maybe not.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Alex wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:34 pm I'm almost tempted to visit again, after having avoided the place like the plague for maybe 10 years. Keep the good news coming!
You should watch the video Sihanoukville Prestine it reflects the current reality.
Boredom is like a shroud
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

The only reason I would actually go to Sihnoukville now, is just to catch the ferry over to the Koh Rong islands, something I would like to do again at some point in the future, though even the islands have seen massive development in the last 10 years too

There is nothing left of Sihanoukville/Otres that would make me want to stay more than a night anymore I'm afraid
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:32 am The only reason I would actually go to Sihnoukville now, is just to catch the ferry over to the Koh Rong islands, something I would like to do again at some point in the future, though even the islands have seen massive development in the last 10 years too

There is nothing left of Sihanoukville/Otres that would make me want to stay more than a night anymore I'm afraid
I don’t understand this mentality.
If not go to the beach. It’s still there and much cleaner than before. Same sunset, same view, same fresh air.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic