A car from Europe & transport company

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

A car from Europe & transport company

Post by thold »

I want to bring my car from Europe. It's quite easy to find a company that arranges freight from the US, but Europe is a more difficult topic. Do you know any company that you can recommend?
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: A car from Europe & transport company

Post by Spigzy »

It’s been done to death here & on the other forum, just don’t do it:

1. The import duty is an immediate inhibitor. Take the value of your car when new; that’s what it’ll be, give it take a k here & there.
2. It’s a car you love; it’s going to get knocks- lots of knocks. Scratches that appear from nowhere.. bad roads, bad drivers.
3. It’s a valuable classic - pay storage fees, see 1&2.
4. It’s not a Toyota/Lexus … good luck with repairs or even parts.

There’s not a single car worth importing here under any circumstances. #ChangeMyMind

(I have an old classic, put it in storage in the UK past 15 years. Don’t regret it one bit).
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

thold wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:20 am I want to bring my car from Europe. It's quite easy to find a company that arranges freight from the US, but Europe is a more difficult topic. Do you know any company that you can recommend?
Can we ask why you want to go through the process of importing it rather than just buying one here?
thold
Tourist
Cambodia

Post by thold »

Bluenose wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:34 pm Can we ask why you want to go through the process of importing it rather than just buying one here?
Because I will not buy such a car here. I'm not interested in US imported SUVs or family Camry at all.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

It will be sounding stupid, but why just dont drive the car down ?? I was planning to drive minedown this year, but of course at the moment its problematic !! ?? Where would you start in Europe, and what car is it ?? Or is it not really buiuld to do the trip (or in bad shape ??) !! Planned to go in august, now moved probably to next march to start my jorney !!
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am It will be sounding stupid, but why just dont drive the car down ?? I was planning to drive minedown this year, but of course at the moment its problematic !! ?? Where would you start in Europe, and what car is it ?? Or is it not really buiuld to do the trip (or in bad shape ??) !! Planned to go in august, now moved probably to next march to start my jorney !!
I’m very curious, what route are you planning to take?
What are the logistics involved for that route as far as visas, travel documents etc. for you and the vehicle?
You’ll still have the importation process and associated taxes / fees to deal with on arrival in Cambodia.
I can’t imagine driving your car down here yourself would be easier than putting it into a container and getting export / import agents to take care of everything bar paying the costs.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:49 pm It’s been done to death here & on the other forum, just don’t do it:

1. The import duty is an immediate inhibitor. Take the value of your car when new; that’s what it’ll be, give it take a k here & there.
2. It’s a car you love; it’s going to get knocks- lots of knocks. Scratches that appear from nowhere.. bad roads, bad drivers.
3. It’s a valuable classic - pay storage fees, see 1&2.
4. It’s not a Toyota/Lexus … good luck with repairs or even parts.

There’s not a single car worth importing here under any circumstances. #ChangeMyMind

(I have an old classic, put it in storage in the UK past 15 years. Don’t regret it one bit).
Very good and accurate advices. :hattip:
Boredom is like a shroud
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

Chad Sexington wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:13 am
Bongmab69 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:53 am It will be sounding stupid, but why just dont drive the car down ?? I was planning to drive minedown this year, but of course at the moment its problematic !! ?? Where would you start in Europe, and what car is it ?? Or is it not really buiuld to do the trip (or in bad shape ??) !! Planned to go in august, now moved probably to next march to start my jorney !!
I’m very curious, what route are you planning to take?
What are the logistics involved for that route as far as visas, travel documents etc. for you and the vehicle?
You’ll still have the importation process and associated taxes / fees to deal with on arrival in Cambodia.
I can’t imagine driving your car down here yourself would be easier than putting it into a container and getting export / import agents to take care of everything bar paying the costs.
routes

There are 2 routes: RUS-KAZ-CHN-LAO-KH or TUR-IRN-PAK-IND-MYA-TH-KH and there is hardly difference in kms or time. The 2 problem-countrys are china and myanmar, because you need a guide from MoT with you, whats expensive, especially China because its a 5000 km drive from KAZ to LAO border (some people go by Mongolia, because the drive in China is much shorter and cheaper). Paperwork, the usual things as visa and for the car a Carnet de Passage. I have seen several european cars in KOW, even a german UNIMOG in Sihanoukville-beach (2017). Its not because its cehap or easy, just the fun from a roadtrip. Cheapest is just to put it in a 20-foot container, as about 75% of containers go back empty to Asia, its very cheap. Pre-covid i know from a client (i am in transport business), they bring a empty 20 foot from Antwerp to Shanghai for less then 500 euros . . . No joke !! Thats about the same amount they pay fro the same container from Antwerp to Paris by road !! ?? The important qeustion iwould have: how long can you drive in KOW with your foreign plates, i would think (the illegal way), veryyyyy long, no ?? But what official ??
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

On the subject of imports, and local cars, there has been mention of a particular garage or dealer in the past where much more information can be found, and stupidly I've not made a note of it. It wasn't Lucky. Does anyone have the name or details to hand? Yes, I know it's a vague question...

I'm torn between a possible import, or buying something locally. Both have their advantages.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

I don’t see any benefits of importing, unless it’s a car you’ve had for years. Good cars can be found here (that are also imported) you just need to know what to look for. See below.

You can try expat owned CNM motors, his thing is sourcing vehicles but I’m not certain he deals in actual shipping. If not he will know.

Driving from Europe to Cambodia would be a blast but once you’re here you are still liable for the same import duties as if you containered it over.

I’ve seen EU registered vehicles here long term but I’m guessing no taxes has been paid and as you can’t take it back out or register it they are cheap, but no cheaper than any other no tax vehicle.
There’s a French registered Pajero/Galloper in Kampot. It was for sale silly cheap recently.
I doubt you’d be able to drive it in PP without being stopped and it confiscated, or any roadblock for that matter.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic