A car from Europe & transport company

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: A car from Europe & transport company

Post by Freightdog »

That's the fella. I was searching the wrong initials. I'll bookmark him now.

yes, the cars I have are years in my possession (decades, in some cases), but probably handicapped by being right hand drive.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

pretty certain they banned RHD imports some years back.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Bluenose »

mannanman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 pm pretty certain they banned RHD imports some years back.
Officially yes, as per Customs website (the technical issue is that HS classification doesn't distinguish between LHD and RHD):

The following items, which cannot be included in Annex 1, due to the technical issue of HS classification, are also prohibited on imports:
Right-hand drive vehicle;
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am
mannanman wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 pm pretty certain they banned RHD imports some years back.
Officially yes, as per Customs website (the technical issue is that HS classification doesn't distinguish between LHD and RHD):

The following items, which cannot be included in Annex 1, due to the technical issue of HS classification, are also prohibited on imports:
So they are banned then.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

mannanman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:40 pm
Bluenose wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:57 am

So they are banned then.
There’s a few bargains kicking about at present, until the steering wheel on the wrong right side rears it’s head.
It’s a bit of a severe rule if it includes vehicles long since in the country when it becomes active.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

No just imports.
I think it’s more to do with trucks but they just blanket banned them.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

mannanman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:51 pm No just imports.
I think it's more to do with stopping the Cambodian people who could possibly buy a very nice import car from their neighbour's on the other side of the border, at a cheaper overall price than what is on offer here by the ones who have the control of the import market.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Chad Sexington
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Chad Sexington »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 3:47 am
mannanman wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:51 pm No just imports.
I think it's more to do with stopping the Cambodian people who could possibly buy a very nice import car from their neighbour's on the other side of the border, at a cheaper overall price than what is on offer here by the ones who have the control of the import market.
I can’t see how it would be cheaper? the usual import duty and taxes (which make vehicles here so expensive) would still apply.
Banning right hand drives might be a safety measure, drivers of RHD vehicles here have to blindly pull halfway out into possible oncoming traffic before they can see if it’s safe to overtake.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Chad Sexington wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:35 am I can’t see how it would be cheaper? the usual import duty and taxes (which make vehicles here so expensive) would still apply.
Banning right hand drives might be a safety measure, drivers of RHD vehicles here have to blindly pull halfway out into possible oncoming traffic before they can see if it’s safe to overtake.
…so, what’s the excuse for this in left hand drive vehicles?

I’m curious whether there’s a few vehicles in the country that aren’t technically here, haven’t paid the various duties, or whatever. I’ve no idea how. When I saw a ‘06 model landcruiser advertised for ‘95 model prices, but right hand drive, it would suggest that people don’t want to end up owning something that overnight becomes worthless or unusable.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

I've driven a RHD vehicle (UK) in France (LHD) many times, it is definitely a safety issue at junctions/roundabouts, etc. I think most locals would stay clear of the RHD as Doggo mentioned purely from a loss of value/hard to resell issue.

Some of the "vehicles" here aren't just one import, they are a combination of many wrecks from overseas, shunted together & welded & put back on the market. I'm not sure how import duty on parts works here, there's probably a nice little loophole to bring in a car in pieces & reassemble it - where's James Bong when you need him!
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic