What Can We Do?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

What Can We Do?

Post by rozzieoz »

I walked past a tuk tuk driver on Street 19 yesterday.
He held out a sign written in English and Khmer, saying - No work, no food.

Throwing small change at this problem is not going to help.
I do what I can to support my immediate circle but feel a tremendous burden for the wider community.

So....how can we help?

I am thinking of something along the lines of a food pantry / soup kitchen - providing one meal a day plus some rice and essentials.

I have some money to kick start this project but I am never going to make it happen on my own.

Someone has to do something though, people are going to start dying of starvation very soon.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Re: What Can We Do?

Post by mannanman »

The only issue I see is it’s not targetted, as apposed to going direct to a village or searching for in need families, and you’ll get people abusing the generosity of others.
Pulling up in $100k cars etc.

There’s a few expats who run food programs all over. There’s a guy in Kampot who does it, Allen someone.
People of the world, spice up your life.
Oumedc
Expatriate

Post by Oumedc »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 am I walked past a tuk tuk driver on Street 19 yesterday.
He held out a sign written in English and Khmer, saying - No work, no food.

Throwing small change at this problem is not going to help.
I do what I can to support my immediate circle but feel a tremendous burden for the wider community.

So....how can we help?

I am thinking of something along the lines of a food pantry / soup kitchen - providing one meal a day plus some rice and essentials.

I have some money to kick start this project but I am never going to make it happen on my own.

Someone has to do something though, people are going to start dying of starvation very soon.
are you talking PP or SR
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Here's the problem, nobody is going to start dying of starvation. I can promise you that tuktuk driver happily sits with his pals and slams ganzbergs at the end of the day.

There are a lot of people worse off than a tuktuk driver in Phnom Penh, go out by the ponds near pp country club and you'll see people struggling with nothing but looking through the garbage dumps..
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Those aren’t the people who’ve been effected by COVID. They’ve always had it tough, really tough, and they can survive.

It’s exactly the low paid workers who are fucked.
People of the world, spice up your life.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I used the tuk tuk driver as an example. The need is everywhere and it's shocking :(
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

Darkcel wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:27 am Here's the problem, nobody is going to start dying of starvation.
Let's hope you're right about this.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 pm I used the tuk tuk driver as an example. The need is everywhere and it's shocking :(
Yes, covid, or the way covid was dealt with, has thrown millions and millions back into poverty. In Cambodia you can notice it too.
It's heartbreaking, but one person can only do so much. I try to support a few people close to me but after doing so for a few months I notice the initial 'covid lock down support' I gave has become a kind of regular after a few months and is now more or less taken for granted, so I'm slowly trying to bail out because this is lasting longer than I anticipated last February.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Since Pchum Ben is suspended it might be a good time to give to the living rather than the dead.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Yobbo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:17 pm Since Pchum Ben is suspended it might be a good time to give to the living rather than the dead.
If we call it simply Buddhism, not to debate the purpose, religion or the way of life. On the whole Buddhist society will suffer from this, and others in the country whom would have normally had donations at these events.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic