What Can We Do?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: What Can We Do?

Post by AndyKK »

Kammekor wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:59 am
AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:33 am It's fair to say most visitors to the country have been ripped off, and there's plenty of warning beforehand, but we still may have fallen for it was n some way or another.
I once had a flight cancelled leaving my country and was booked on the next early morning flight. I was booked into a hotel by the airline and taken there with a shuttle bus, free of charge, driven by a local driver. Dutch, like me.
Much to my surprise the driver tried to charge foreign passengers who were in the same position as me for the supposed free ride. He managed to charge some 10-25 EUR.

Places with loads of tourism attract scammers. In Cambodia, but elsewhere as well.
I agree with you totally, and it does happen in other countries too, well it may too some extent, but you know the law would clamp down very suddenly if they got word. It doesn't or won't happen in the same way here for sure.
In your 11 years in the country are you saying it's never happened too yourself? My pet hate is when I have traveled from shop to shop in the big city looking for a particular item of need, and on eventually finding what I had been looking for! like the other day, there was a shopkeeper who didn't have the same item in stock, but he told me where to get it (nice helpful guy). On arrival at the shop he told me to go, they had what I wanted on the shelves, "no we don't have" "yes you do" "no we don't" "you can go to another shop" . Anyhow, enough griping because the good outweighs the bad.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

try get a fixed price taxi from Rome airport to downtown at the fixed rate. Good luck with that.
work is for people who cant find truffles
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am Definitely. I say fuck all poor Cambodians and I would never give them a goddamned thing. In fact, fuck all Cambodians.
Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am
Khmers are such lowlife cocksucking scum that they'll have their hand out and accept our generosity or fuck us deep in our asses and rob us. They obviously don't give any fucks.
So here we have another Cam Nivag troll sock. Not immediately apparent but in the end he always reverts to his MO and slips up such the mods can identify.

And this time he's really showed his true colours for what he is for all members to see. :evil: Hence his status as a toxic troll to be shot on sight on this forum. :head shot:

Adios

bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

"Khmers are such lowlife @#*& *^% that they'll have their hand out and accept our generosity or f(* us deep in our asses and rob us. They obviously don't give any f*(&."
quoted from Marty the previous evening

@Marty WTF dude!!?? Say it clear and with your actual intention - no sarcasm, surely you are not THAT unhinged.... are you? I would support your arrest and detainment by the locals and the authorities.

"But the actual guy, Maynard Keynes, was convinced that taking care of the poor in a society was the responsibility of the government and that any attempt by individuals or private organisations to do this just made it easier for the government to look the other way. That doesnt mean we can't drop a coin in a beggar's cup but we should think carefully before setting out to alleviate poverty ourselves. In other words, not my job mate." quoted from hdgh29 previous evening
@hdgh29
Nobody has been discussing shouldering the poverty problem here, we're all concerned about how tricky doling out can be on the personal level given the unique set of circumstances that we all encounter on a daily basis here in the KOW. Keynes may have been the greatest Economist the world has known but this is a random snippet, and surely relative to the overall condition of England in that time. He is in fact tackling poverty but he is also tackling unemployment and other societal issues, but referencing him randomly is just name dropping. We're not going to undertake Keynes aggregate demand/productive capacity classic problems set each time we consider giving a local person $10 are we? Oh, your line about giving to beggars isn't enough at all, you can't bridge micro econ to macro in a line, no one ever has, stick to petarding and maybe wordsmithing among itinerant expats will have some upside to it.

@Kammekor You're Dutch? Forget it in that case and have a nice evening up there in the North Woods of Ratanatucky.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

bossho wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:38 pm

@Kammekor You're Dutch? Forget it in that case and have a nice evening up there in the North Woods of Ratanatucky.
That one just went over my head. But yes, am a Dutchie.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:47 pm In your 11 years in the country are you saying it's never happened too yourself? My pet hate is when I have traveled from shop to shop in the big city looking for a particular item of need, and on eventually finding what I had been looking for!
Yes, I have made my mistakes. Enough of them. But to be honest I have never felt unwelcome in a shop, or taken advantage of too much. During my first months I let some people borrow money. Never did it again. Now I give without strings attached, or I do nothing.

I guess the fact I started learning the language from day one (I came on a one year contract with the intention for another year) made a large difference. Add to that the fact I have been based in the province from day one, and I think my story isn't a standard one. Phnom Penh is a much more hostile environment than the provincial towns.

I guess there's a few simple guidelines to avoid the largest problems, but loads of people don't live by them.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:19 pm
Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:40 am Definitely. I say fuck all poor Cambodians and I would never give them a goddamned thing. In fact, fuck all Cambodians.
Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am
Khmers are such lowlife cocksucking scum that they'll have their hand out and accept our generosity or fuck us deep in our asses and rob us. They obviously don't give any fucks.
So here we have another Cam Nivag troll sock. Not immediately apparent but in the end he always reverts to his MO and slips up such the mods can identify.

And this time he's really showed his true colours for what he is for all members to see. :evil: Hence his status as a toxic troll to be shot on sight on this forum. :head shot:

Adios

marty has been on my ignore list for ages so dont see his posts but i have not seen Cam use profanity like this and
why would he hate them ? he has a khmer wife an kid

OR:

he just likes fucking with you all :popcorn:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

I believe that when the universe blesses me with more, I must build a bigger table, not a higher fence.

I give because there is need, not because I expect people to kiss my feet with gratitude.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Nauseating virtue signalling dressed up as condescending tripe.
sanjuro
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by sanjuro »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:36 am Nauseating virtue signalling dressed up as condescending tripe.
What exactly is your problem? Why so insecure?
Who's sock are you?, the admins?
You seem to enjoy a certain Teacher's Pet status.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic