What Can We Do?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: What Can We Do?

Post by hdgh29 »

bossho wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:06 pm In 2015, the Borough of Milton Keynes had nine 'lower super output areas'[o] that are in the 10% most deprived in England, but also had twelve 'lower super output areas' in the 10% least deprived in England.[201] This contrast between areas of affluence and areas of deprivation in spite of a thriving local economy, inspired local charity The Community Foundation (in its 2016 'Vital Signs' report) to describe the position as a 'Tale of Two Cities'.[202]

---from the wiki page for "Milton Keynes" posted to offer that if Ol' Milt could talk and act well then it looks like he'd do what he could for his neighbor when he could do it---
Well obviously it was a joke, or maybe not so obvious, my humour can be a bit solipsistic at times. But the actual guy, Maynard Keynes, was convinced that taking care of the poor in a society was the responsibility of the government and that any attempt by individuals or private organisations to do this just made it easier for the government to look the other way. That doesnt mean we can't drop a coin in a beggar's cup but we should think carefully before setting out to alleviate poverty ourselves. In other words, not my job mate.
Also - Petarding is a present participle, a verb that can function as a noun, (Example: he got a good petarding that night) which I suppose is also the definition of a gerund. Extra points to you for literacy.
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

bossho wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:17 pm @Anchor Moy for the most part I concur, but posters who warn here about the poseur poor also have valid points, there is a lot of getting over on the foreigners going on out there and I don't need to be fluent in Khmer to know its a hustle when someone talks poor but has got more cash than me on them but that hand still is out.

That's why qualified giving to your inner circle of locals might be best, and then I would add to never give money to locals you know are rough even if they are sweet to you, even if they need it and you can see that need.

I can say from experience that when the day comes and you don't give, all you ever gave cumulatively will be forgotten and you will be targeted from then on. Usually this is called "extortion" and this might be what other posters refuse to give in to and rightfully so to them. I wish I never did, it's limited my safe movement in this city and I have to look out and be ready for anything in some zones of the city now because I thought I was doing good and making inroads with a holes.
Definitely. I say fuck all poor Cambodians and I would never give them a goddamned thing. In fact, fuck all Cambodians.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

clutchcargo wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:40 pm
Anchor Moy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:01 pm
The Judge wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:24 pm Why barang try to solve Khmer people's problems is beyond me.

I haven't experienced one Khmer ever who truly tried to help me, without benefiting greatly for themselves in the process.

I see it everyday. These people are professionals at playing the woe-be-me card. Despite any signs, verbal pleas, etc, ready assured they have family somewhere who can support them, if they are truly in need.

It takes a shrewd eye to identify the level and magnitude of their collective greed.
You can't change the country or the people, but you can change your attitude.

Wherever you live, there are always people in need. Poor people are not playing at being poor and needy just to cheat you and piss you off. If you were not there, they would still be poor and in need. They are not being poor AT YOU, believe it or not.

You said
I haven't experienced one Khmer ever who truly tried to help me, without benefiting greatly for themselves in the process.These people [Khmer] are professionals at playing the woe-be-me card
Life is short and you sound unhappy. Why not accept things as they are, don't expect anything, stop judging people, and appreciate the good things in life ? "Do what you can" is not a bad life motto.
:beer3:
Yes, and there's a pattern of posts that are negative of Cambodia and disparaging of khmers. It's one thing to criticize certain aspects of life in Cambodia from time to time, another to make sweeping negative generalisations that insult and demean khmers on a continual, ongoing basis.

@The Judge If that is your MO going forward, it's not appropriate on this forum. Nor are sweeping racial slurs as you've done on another topic. I suggest you lighten up on this rhetoric if you wish to stay on here. Take a 24 hrs off to think about how you want to contribute to CEO and no need to come back if you wish to resume as before.
Khmers are such lowlife cocksucking scum that they'll have their hand out and accept our generosity or fuck us deep in our asses and rob us. They obviously don't give any fucks.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

sanjuro wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:24 pm Both of these sites have become so calcified with opportunistic pseudo-wokism that it's inevitable that I get banned at some point while speaking truth to power.
Truth (as in "water is wet", or pizza delivery 'bodies with persons' are "not in fact heroic" ) is not a popular subject.

With that said, who here can honestly say Cambodia attracts the best and brightest? To pick on barang--east & west.

Anyone? Look around you. Statistically even if you find a handful of "swell" guys or "good chaps" as was mockingly said when we bit it at 55 , what percentage would we top out at? 2?
1? Does that make us the 1%. No. You can BS on a forum or slumped over a bar or to your mother-in-law all you like. -Doesn't mean they bought it. You're the hardest sell to yourself. Take it as severely cynical as you want, doesn't matter much to me. I know where I stand. I know what makes me smile. We are all, human, after all.
What a load of boring, confused and cliched ridden drivel; much like this thread.

How do you like that truth?
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am
Khmers are such lowlife cocksucking scum that they'll have their hand out and accept our generosity or fuck us deep in our asses and rob us. They obviously don't give any fucks.
Hmm. Not #sureifserious.
In all my years here I’ve been on the end of the shitty stick a few times, mostly over land.

Do I care? Nope. I chose to move here. I chose to spend my money on something I knew might go tits up.

French shrug then move on.

I love Cambodians.
People of the world, spice up your life.
hdgh29
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by hdgh29 »

Marty wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:44 am
Well you probably never worked in the Middle East. If you had then your level of tolerance for cocksuckers would be a lot higher. Are you actually in Cambodia? If you are, I question what you are doing here, because you sure don't seem to be having fun. This cartoon applies to you completely:
"I tried being reasonable. Didn't like it" (Clint Eastwood)
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's fair to say most visitors to the country have been ripped off, and there's plenty of warning beforehand, but we still may have fallen for it was n some way or another. It in most cases may be trivia, such has the Barang tax, likewise the over price for tuk tuk ride's. What gets to me more is the few whom are anti foreigner and won't sell you what you may need from their shop. The odd ones too who curse you in public, thinking you don't understand,
But if you're willing to help you have to dismiss all those things, due to it only being that of a small handful of people.
Then if you are going to help in some way, don't expect anything in return. Giving is better than receiving they say.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Well, the number of people whom have graduated on Khmer culture, having a deep understanding of all the subtleties of Khmer culture, has increased exponentially on this forum.

Having lived in Cambodia for just eleven years, being able to speak the language, their deep insights published above made me feel humble again.

There's one thing I fail to understand though... If Khmer culture is so difficult to deal with, why not look for greener pastures elsewhere. It's a bit like extremist Muslims living in my country. If you can't deal with the local culture, pack your stuff and leave. Complaining isn't going to change anything except getting some frustration off your chest for a minute. Leaving can be life changing.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:33 am It's fair to say most visitors to the country have been ripped off, and there's plenty of warning beforehand, but we still may have fallen for it was n some way or another.
I once had a flight cancelled leaving my country and was booked on the next early morning flight. I was booked into a hotel by the airline and taken there with a shuttle bus, free of charge, driven by a local driver. Dutch, like me.
Much to my surprise the driver tried to charge foreign passengers who were in the same position as me for the supposed free ride. He managed to charge some 10-25 EUR.

Places with loads of tourism attract scammers. In Cambodia, but elsewhere as well.
mannanman
Expatriate
Isle of Man

Post by mannanman »

True. Went to Cambridge and friend (from East London. Streetwise as they come) got scammed by a punt tout.
He was pretty surprised and pissed off!

(He’s of Chinese descent, in a funny twist!)
People of the world, spice up your life.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic