What Can We Do?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Re: What Can We Do?

Post by Bongmab69 »

i remeber numerous tukttukdrivers who didnt were happy beacuse i didnt want to pay a "barang-price" for some stupid-short trip, and more then once they said behind my back to my GF in Khmer she shouldnt helpme to get a khmer-price (without knowing i do understand some khmer). If i would know the guy, in the positive sence of the word, i would help him, but in my eyes more then half of them just profitted from barangs, and now they are crying because we dont come anymore !! I am al my live in transpoprt-business, and do understand them, but if i dont pay the morgage from my truck to the bank in europe, nobody goes to help me, with or without a sign sitting on the road, isnt it ??
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Bongmab69 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:40 pm i remeber numerous tukttukdrivers who didnt were happy beacuse i didnt want to pay a "barang-price" for some stupid-short trip, and more then once they said behind my back to my GF in Khmer she shouldnt helpme to get a khmer-price (without knowing i do understand some khmer). If i would know the guy, in the positive sence of the word, i would help him, but in my eyes more then half of them just profitted from barangs, and now they are crying because we dont come anymore !! I am al my live in transpoprt-business, and do understand them, but if i dont pay the morgage from my truck to the bank in europe, nobody goes to help me, with or without a sign sitting on the road, isnt it ??
Out of curiosity I copied the above to google translate. Translated to Thai and back to English. It helped a little.
I remember many tuk tuk drivers who were unhappy because I didn't want to pay "barang price" for stupid short trips and many times they spoke behind my girlfriend's back in Khmer, she shouldn't have helped me to get the Khmer price (Without knowing that I understand some Khmer) If I know the man in the positive of the word I will help him. But in my eyes more than half just profit from barang and now they are crying because we are not coming anymore!! I just live in a multinational business. and understand them But what if I don't pay the mortgage from my truck to a European bank? There will be no one to help me With or without signs sitting on the road, right?
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Bongmab69
Expatriate
Belgium

Post by Bongmab69 »

interesting to use google translate to thai, violet doesnt sounds really thai, as you have no flag at all at your profile, nobody may know where you come from maybe ??
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Bongmab69 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am interesting to use google translate to thai, violet doesnt sounds really thai, as you have no flag at all at your profile, nobody may know where you come from maybe ??
I don’t like to pigeonhole myself. More than one country’s flag represents me.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Chuck Borris
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Chuck Borris »

Bunch of them are sleeping in front of my condo every night, not an easy life inho. Except on the riverside, I had never problems with them trying to overcharge me. I show them how much the ride would be on Grab and then I pay them directly without using app.
Don"t Eat The Yellow Snow.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

AndyKK wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:28 pm
Yobbo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:17 pm Since Pchum Ben is suspended it might be a good time to give to the living rather than the dead.
If we call it simply Buddhism, not to debate the purpose, religion or the way of life. On the whole Buddhist society will suffer from this, and others in the country whom would have normally had donations at these events.
I wouldn't call Pchum Ben a buddhist tradition because its not, it predates the historical Buddha and yes, back to helping, donations to the living would be appreciated to those in need, a grand idea.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:54 am I walked past a tuk tuk driver on Street 19 yesterday.
He held out a sign written in English and Khmer, saying - No work, no food.

Throwing small change at this problem is not going to help.
I do what I can to support my immediate circle but feel a tremendous burden for the wider community.

So....how can we help?
----------------------------------------------------

So the world over its pretty much no work no food.

Beyond the immediate need for food (which is mostly being met within families), the best policy the government of Cambodia could implement would be twofold:

Open the country up. Folks are pretty much vaccinated. It is becoming obvious that we will be living with Covid for perhaps the rest of our lives. Let tourists come if they are vaccinated. Give them a test in the airport upon arrival and if negative go about your business. This would pump some much needed life into the economy and get some folks back to work. Then for the long term:

100% tax on all NGO expenditures in Cambodia. If all the money NGO's have spent in the past 10 years on their staff/families had been spent to build homes and facilities for clean water there would be no homeless people in Cambodia and everyone would have clean drinking water. NGO's were needed in 1990. They have no place today. They are an entirely wasteful industry that does little for those they claim need help, while providing Westerner's with "lifestyles" and fancy meaningless titles for them to share back home at cocktail parties.

Spend all that money for homes and water infrastructure and in 5-10 years you'll have alleviated much of the severe poverty in the country and there will little for the NGO's to photograph to raise money back home.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

rozzieoz wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:55 pm I used the tuk tuk driver as an example. The need is everywhere and it's shocking :(
well just close your eyes. :D
Boredom is like a shroud
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

There is a program to distribute free food. Have you seen the cyclos with the glass cases on the passenger seat?

Can't remember where I read about it though, but I have seen them around. I'll ask next time I spot one.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Chuck Borris wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:02 pm Bunch of them are sleeping in front of my condo every night, not an easy life inho. Except on the riverside, I had never problems with them trying to overcharge me. I show them how much the ride would be on Grab and then I pay them directly without using app.
They love that, Grab takes up to 15% commission.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic