Foriegn Murder Suspect Arrested at Cambodian Police Roadblock

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Foriegn Murder Suspect Arrested at Cambodian Police Roadblock

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

26 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
Foreign murder suspect arrested in Cambodia after 22 years on the run
A foreign national, wanted by South Korean police in connection with a murder committed over 20 years ago, has been apprehended in Cambodia.

Kim Kisu had been sought by South Korean police in connection with a murder that took place in in South Korea on November 5, 1999.

It is believed that he fled to Cambodia after the crime and has been living ‘under the radar’ for almost 22 years.

Major General Sithi Loh, Commissioner of Banteay Meanchey Provincial Police said that the suspect was arrested by the police force of Banteay Meanchey provincial police in Serei Sophorn while driving from Poipet to Phnom Penh.

He also highlighted the cooperation between South Korean and Cambodian police that had brought the man to justice after so many years.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50942109/f ... n-the-run/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Foriegn Murder Suspect Arrested at Cambodian Police Roadblock

Post by Clutch Cargo »

After 22 years, I can't help surmising the perp did something more than that to bring himself to the attention of the authorities which then triggered the investigation, liaising with Sth Korea counterparts and his arrest. Well done tho in bringing this murderer (murder suspect on the run?) to eventual justice.
Organic Ed
Expatriate

Post by Organic Ed »

This guy is going to be familiar to a number of people on this site. I didn't know he was on the run. He's had a couple of restaurants I know of.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Organic Ed wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:35 pm This guy is going to be familiar to a number of people on this site. I didn't know he was on the run. He's had a couple of restaurants I know of.
Oh, do tell. I'm going there.
bossho
Aging Tweaker
United States of America

Post by bossho »

The Judge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 4:30 pm
Organic Ed wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:35 pm This guy is going to be familiar to a number of people on this site. I didn't know he was on the run. He's had a couple of restaurants I know of.
Oh, do tell. I'm going there.
maybe they were looking for ol boy but Poipet has had a road block up for a while now, since lockdowns started and maybe its a good side business for them and they happened to run this guy's whatever he gave them i.e. passport, fake p.port whichever and they hit a winner
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 pm After 22 years, I can't help surmising the perp did something more than that to bring himself to the attention of the authorities which then triggered the investigation, liaising with Sth Korea counterparts and his arrest. Well done tho in bringing this murderer (murder suspect on the run?) to eventual justice.
Yeah, good persistence, or whatever raised his overtness, but if you were set a task, with a 48 hour deadline, and completed it after all your colleagues had retired, and your new-born was now married with kids, you wouldn't want to be on commission.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 pm After 22 years, I can't help surmising the perp did something more than that to bring himself to the attention of the authorities which then triggered the investigation, liaising with Sth Korea counterparts and his arrest. Well done tho in bringing this [Alleged] murderer ([alleged] murder suspect on the run?) to eventual [Potential] justice.
^^^ FTFY

"Well done" for allowing a man wanted by the Korean authorities to live in your country undetected for 22 years and only finding him by pure chance. Is this a Cambodian record for an Visa overstayer? His passport must be at least 11 years expired and probably much more.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 am
clutchcargo wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:27 pm After 22 years, I can't help surmising the perp did something more than that to bring himself to the attention of the authorities which then triggered the investigation, liaising with Sth Korea counterparts and his arrest. Well done tho in bringing this [Alleged] murderer ([alleged] murder suspect on the run?) to eventual [Potential] justice.
^^^ FTFY

"Well done" for allowing a man wanted by the Korean authorities to live in your country undetected for 22 years and only finding him by pure chance. Is this a Cambodian record for an Visa overstayer? His passport must be at least 11 years expired and probably much more.
Good pick up Doc and you're right of course, re-reading the OP story it does say 'sought by South Korean police in connection with a murder' but also 'It is believed that he fled to Cambodia after the crime'. So yeah, innocent until proven guilty and all that and no speculation. :plus1:

I wonder on what basis they 'believe' he fled? Is it because he is a visa overstayer? It doesn't specifically say that but I presume likely as had he left the country at any stage, he may have had an airport alert for him. Or just the fact he didn't attend to the summons or arrest in Korea.

When I said 'Well done', I didn't mean it in a sarcastic way. It just looks like they acted quickly with the embassy once this guy was identified and it's always good to see someone eventually brought to account over crimes.

Also, I don't think it's necessarily unusual at all that Cambodia 'allowing a man wanted by the Korean authorities to live in your country undetected for 22 years'. I know in Australia they have and have had for a long time problems with people visiting the country and then 'disappearing' into society. People that do that are of course very conscious of avoiding anything that requires them to produce their ID. No bank account, no driver's licence, no Medicare etc. Indeed, reminds me of a school friend who dated this Portuguese girl in Sydney in the 80s that unbeknowns to him was running a 'secret' life.. living and working there for several years after overstaying a tourist visa. I recall she couldn't drive and had never gone back to Portugal to visit family (I asked her that). Anyway, I don't recall how (might ask my friend some time) she was eventually identified and deported back to Portugal. She then asked my friend to sell all her furniture on her behalf and send her the $$.

So, I don't know that we can say the local authorities are necessarily slack not having picked him up earlier. Because, if he is indeed 'on the run' from the Korean authorities, he would be careful to not do anything to bring himself to the notice of the local authorities. However, this time it looks like he was careless travelling through a road block. As often is the case with these news reports, there's surely a back story to all this.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 9:49 am
Doc67 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 am
^^^ FTFY

Good pick up Doc and you're right of course, re-reading the OP story it does say 'sought by South Korean police in connection with a murder' but also 'It is believed that he fled to Cambodia after the crime'. So yeah, innocent until proven guilty and all that and no speculation. :plus1:

I wonder on what basis they 'believe' he fled? Is it because he is a visa overstayer? It doesn't specifically say that but I presume likely as had he left the country at any stage, he may have had an airport alert for him. Or just the fact he didn't attend to the summons or arrest in Korea.

When I said 'Well done', I didn't mean it in a sarcastic way. It just looks like they acted quickly with the embassy once this guy was identified and it's always good to see someone eventually brought to account over crimes.

Also, I don't think it's necessarily unusual at all that Cambodia 'allowing a man wanted by the Korean authorities to live in your country undetected for 22 years'. I know in Australia they have and have had for a long time problems with people visiting the country and then 'disappearing' into society. People that do that are of course very conscious of avoiding anything that requires them to produce their ID. No bank account, no driver's licence, no Medicare etc. Indeed, reminds me of a school friend who dated this Portuguese girl in Sydney in the 80s that unbeknowns to him was running a 'secret' life.. living and working there for several years after overstaying a tourist visa. I recall she couldn't drive and had never gone back to Portugal to visit family (I asked her that). Anyway, I don't recall how (might ask my friend some time) she was eventually identified and deported back to Portugal. She then asked my friend to sell all her furniture on her behalf and send her the $$.

So, I don't know that we can say the local authorities are necessarily slack not having picked him up earlier. Because, if he is indeed 'on the run' from the Korean authorities, he would be careful to not do anything to bring himself to the notice of the local authorities. However, this time it looks like he was careless travelling through a road block. As often is the case with these news reports, there's surely a back story to all this.
I suspect it is now impossible to live in Australia without valid ID and visa status for foreigners if you want to be in a city. Sheep farms might be a bit more easy going.

Rent a home? ID checks, credit check, employment checks including wages slips

Want a job? ID checks, proof of address checks, work history checks etc.

It is like this in the UK and I suspect over much of Europe and North America. Cambodia would be a great place to hang out for 10 years to dodge problems back home.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

^^
Def very hard these days and they now have sponsorship requirements and security deposits and the like. Having said that, there are certain nationalities that can relatively easily 'blend' into communities eg ' Little Saigon' aka Cabramatta where you could easily find work and accommodation without any checks and paid in cash.

But of course I think most developed countries do the extra checks/securities for visitors from developing countries. However, that mostly doesn't apply in reverse. I think Cambodia has got extra requirements for visa applications from African countries and certain others. But for rest, it's relatively easy I think to go under the radar if you stay out of trouble.

Another poster mentioned he ran a couple of restaurants.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic