Culture Shock in Cambodia

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Culture Shock in Cambodia

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

i dunno about anyone else, but the first couple of times having to use a squat toilet...
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

sometimes,
much of my overseas travel was pre travel books ( no lonely planets, no internet, no trip advisor nada, zip)

things are different everywhere no shock to me
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

Jamie_Lambo wrote:i dunno about anyone else, but the first couple of times having to use a squat toilet...
I agree Squat Toilet is quite uncomfortable, but i am sure it was used in Europe too.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Samouth
Expatriate
Burundi

Post by Samouth »

phuketrichard wrote:sometimes,
much of my overseas travel was pre travel books ( no lonely planets, no internet, no trip advisor nada, zip)

things are different everywhere no shock to me
I guess it is great to always expect that things are different everywhere, so we will not be shocked.
បើសិនធ្វើចេះ ចេះឲ្យគេកោត បើសិនធ្វើឆោត ឆោតឲ្យគេអាណិត។

If you know a lot, know enough to make them respect you, if you are stupid, be stupid enough so they can pity you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic