American Private Investigator in Cambodia Needs Money for Food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: American Private Investigator in Cambodia Needs Money for Food

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:08 pm
Pseudonomdeplume wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:28 pm So how do we help? Keep an eye out for him?
Send toilet paper ?
Or maybe the US Embassy could assist him to go home. 8-)
"Please accept this donation of $958 worth of toilet paper"

"Thanks, as a PI, that should help me get to the bottom of things, but I need food before I can shit. Also, as an inoperative operative, I'm perplexed as this snoop can not poop, so I have nothing to go on. Please send receipt for a refund, all due respect (about as much as you gave).

Give him something to sell I guess.

I haven't used TP for years - since I first got here (I'm hangin' for a shit!).

Seriously, I would like to help out.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Multipox wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm
absolutely. one's own government must repatriate a stranded citizen. the us will loan the citizen the money.
which suggests there is something fishy here
Unless you are actually working for your government they should have no obligations to you once you decide to move out from their jurisdiction. Of course they can offer support but it's ridiculous to think they have any other obligations, especially to hopeless cases. It's not like they are short of nutcases to deal with at home.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 pm Don't over complicate it for the sake of being obtuse, it does no one any favours. If you live in a "normal" country you can just buy it from a regular exchange for 0.2% in fees or less. From my experience with them they weren't charging any fees other than the spread (and yes, you also pay the network fees but they are usually very, very low if you're willing to wait a little while).
“Don’t overcomplicate it” followed by hand waving away three separate types of extra fee as nothing when they’re also anything but. Coinbase’s spread is at least 0.5% on top of their flat fees, which are several dollars on top of it even for relatively small amounts, before even starting on transaction fees.

Sure they’re not as high as in Cambodia, but don’t act like I’m being dishonest or obtuse whilst in the same paragraph trying to pretend those fees don’t exist.
Random Dude
Expatriate

Post by Random Dude »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:51 am
Multipox wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:16 pm
absolutely. one's own government must repatriate a stranded citizen. the us will loan the citizen the money.
which suggests there is something fishy here
Unless you are actually working for your government they should have no obligations to you once you decide to move out from their jurisdiction. Of course they can offer support but it's ridiculous to think they have any other obligations, especially to hopeless cases. It's not like they are short of nutcases to deal with at home.
I knew an American guy who got himself into a bad situation and - I heard through the grapevine but don't know for certain - the US embassy got involved, they lent him the money to get home and I presume there was some sort of arrangement where he wouldn't be able to leave until it was paid back. I doubt that option is available to just anyone though, I'm sure it would be on a case by case basis with some strict criteria and I agree, they shouldn't be under any obligation to help you.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:33 am
Bubble T wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:46 pm Don't over complicate it for the sake of being obtuse, it does no one any favours. If you live in a "normal" country you can just buy it from a regular exchange for 0.2% in fees or less. From my experience with them they weren't charging any fees other than the spread (and yes, you also pay the network fees but they are usually very, very low if you're willing to wait a little while).
“Don’t overcomplicate it” followed by hand waving away three separate types of extra fee as nothing when they’re also anything but. Coinbase’s spread is at least 0.5% on top of their flat fees, which are several dollars on top of it even for relatively small amounts, before even starting on transaction fees.

Sure they’re not as high as in Cambodia, but don’t act like I’m being dishonest or obtuse whilst in the same paragraph trying to pretend those fees don’t exist.
Not sure what 3 fees you're talking about. Coinbase, like any other reputable exchange doesn't have a spread unless you use their retail service (unless you're referring to the difference between best ask and best bid, which is rarely more than a fraction of a cent for any high volume asset). They use an orderbook. They use maker/taker fees of between 0.04% and 0.5%. You're talking to someone who works for one of their biggest competitors so it's not like I don't know what I'm talking about with this....
nerdlinger
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by nerdlinger »

Coinbase’s own website wrote: Coinbase may charge fees when you buy, sell, or convert cryptocurrencies. Fees are calculated at the time you place your order and may be determined by a combination of factors including the selected payment method, the size of the order, and market conditions such as volatility and liquidity.
Additionally, Coinbase includes a spread in the price when you buy or sell cryptocurrencies or in the exchange rate when you convert cryptocurrencies.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

nerdlinger wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:54 am
Coinbase’s own website wrote: Coinbase may charge fees when you buy, sell, or convert cryptocurrencies. Fees are calculated at the time you place your order and may be determined by a combination of factors including the selected payment method, the size of the order, and market conditions such as volatility and liquidity.
Additionally, Coinbase includes a spread in the price when you buy or sell cryptocurrencies or in the exchange rate when you convert cryptocurrencies.
"Convert" is the term they use for their retail product. If you place your order on their order book there is no spread (which is what they call their "pro" product). I can see how it may sound confusing but think of "convert" like going to a money changer who gives you a fixed price, and "pro" like trading directly on an exchange. Exchanges use various terminology to distinguish between their Pro and Retail offerings but the result is always the same; Retail is vastly more expensive than placing an order directly on to an order book.
RogerSizemore
Tourist

Post by RogerSizemore »

No future in PI work for this one. A basic knowledge of how to get around is required. I come away with one sure thing out of all this. His friend has a Paypal.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Post by Darkcel »

Well, seeing as how he's now being plastered around on Khmer pages and he's left anti government comments.. I suspect he'll be getting help home soon.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Apart from that "PI License" which looks like something a child would order from a PO box advert inside the back page of a Beano magazine for a skit, the rest of his story reads like your average garden variety meth-head with an injustice against the world on the slide diatribite. Especially the China bullshit he alluded toward without any subtlety at all

I wonder if he posts here yet?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic