Pregnant 15Yo Trafficked to China Has Been Rescued

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Pregnant 15Yo Trafficked to China Has Been Rescued

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Poor girl, she has had a horrific experience that most probably can't even imagine, myself included and it seems it isn't over yet
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

Agents never purport the truth about living or working conditions. It's almost comical that Khmer still haven't figured it out.

The allure of instant money for the parents, added to the lightening of the support load by removing a hungry mouth to feed and clothe, is almost as despicable. Out of sight, out of mind. Now that's what's truly sad!

Everyone knows the game. But it's easier to bitch and moan afterwards when the upfront money has already been pissed away.

Don't get me wrong. This entire practice IS terrible. But the trick is to not take the bait. IMO, the Chinese are the biggest POS known to mankind. It's unfortunate more isn't done when needed. Education, scruples, honor to start. Unfortunately, many Khmer parents use their children as a source of income for them. A complete abomination for the roles parents and children should have in a family structure.

My bet is that it wasn't her who wanted to leave Cambodia to go to some shithole where she doesn't know the language and where she'll even have less respect (and support) as a woman than she does in her native country.

I feel absolutely terrible for this girl, and hope she's able to return to Cambodia soon, without having to be a pawn in so many people's chess games. We're talking about human lives for god's sake!! When will enough be enough??
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

In a country where a ruling class monopolise the system, frequently curry favour with what we glibly describe as their masters in Beijing, and where recent history has included mass murder and war, remembered by people of a current generation of the same age as myself, I'm hesitant to blame the Khmer for being naive and unsophisticated in their thinking. What we might consider normal in the west and developed countries could easily be written off as fairy tales and fantasy for the everyday folk in Cambodia. It's frustrating at times, dealing with it, seeing it and some of the inane goings on daily, but for them, it's always been that way.

And they aren't the only ones.

Khmer, Indian, Bengali and Nepali maids and labourers rescued from servitude in Malaya, which otherwise many might consider a progressive country.
Likewise in the Middle East. In all cases, they are helped into that position by fellow countrymen who promise the earth, and frequently deliver misery instead, I mention these countries specifically as we had first hand knowledge of it a few years back.

The shame should be/would be on the authorities if they don't put serious pressure on their CCP counterparts to resolve the issue.

But here's my bet- (and no, I'm making a wager with any particular person, in case a pedant pipes up), her story has come to light. There's going to be many more that are simply lost in the noise. Right now, she has maybe a slim chance. The ones we don't actually know about- what of them.

And in case anyone thinks it's only. in the third world- there are still reports of similar shite going on in the west.
It's people trafficking, it's sickening.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Chinese culture has education, scruples, and honor. But it’s dedication to the village, the town, and the greater society (aka the government) in general. Scruples being to win at all costs. Winners get food, the girls, the goods. Honor is do one’s part in this society.

And for a poor Khmer girl, it’s to be a slave to the husband’s family and make babies.

This isn’t Western culture with western ideas and values.

And there’s a bright line that APLE will never be able to cross. Making westerners look bad, sure. Criticizing Chinese culture, never.

Just my thoughts.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Freightdog wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:52 am In a country where a ruling class monopolise the system, frequently curry favour with what we glibly describe as their masters in Beijing, and where recent history has included mass murder and war, remembered by people of a current generation of the same age as myself, I'm hesitant to blame the Khmer for being naive and unsophisticated in their thinking. What we might consider normal in the west and developed countries could easily be written off as fairy tales and fantasy for the everyday folk in Cambodia. It's frustrating at times, dealing with it, seeing it and some of the inane goings on daily, but for them, it's always been that way.

And they aren't the only ones.

Khmer, Indian, Bengali and Nepali maids and labourers rescued from servitude in Malaya, which otherwise many might consider a progressive country.
Likewise in the Middle East. In all cases, they are helped into that position by fellow countrymen who promise the earth, and frequently deliver misery instead, I mention these countries specifically as we had first hand knowledge of it a few years back.

The shame should be/would be on the authorities if they don't put serious pressure on their CCP counterparts to resolve the issue.

But here's my bet- (and no, I'm making a wager with any particular person, in case a pedant pipes up), her story has come to light. There's going to be many more that are simply lost in the noise. Right now, she has maybe a slim chance. The ones we don't actually know about- what of them.

And in case anyone thinks it's only. in the third world- there are still reports of similar shite going on in the west.
It's people trafficking, it's sickening.
Good points there Freightdog. TBH I got a bit carried away with the emotion of this story in my post last night.

You're right this story is nothing new or ground breaking. We've seen a lot of other sickening stories on here. This one seems to have gone viral on social media and hence captured the hearts of the people. But like you say, what about all the 'unheard' ones out there?
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's certainly a bad story, and not too clear, but again it reads a little different. And with the quote below, does it mean she was sold off to the Chinese man, aged 11?

My husband has treated me very badly. I have not been in contact with my family for four years,” she said in the two-plus minute video posted to TikTok.
According to her statements in the video, she said she had never gotten along with her husband’s family – especially not with her mother-in-law and father-in-law. She said her husband had beaten her and treated her like a servant and had even sent her to work in the fields while pregnant causing her to suffer through three miscarriages.
Chou Bun Eng, Ministry of Interior secretary of state and the permanent vice-chair of the National Committee for Counter Trafficking (NCCT), told The Post on September 22 that immediately after receiving the information about the woman’s plight the Cambodian government intervened by contacting their counterparts in China to arrange the woman’s rescue.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... seeks-help
Always "hope" but never "expect".
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:03 am It's certainly a bad story, and not too clear, but again it reads a little different. And with the quote below, does it mean she was sold off to the Chinese man, aged 11?

My husband has treated me very badly. I have not been in contact with my family for four years,” she said in the two-plus minute video posted to TikTok.
According to her statements in the video, she said she had never gotten along with her husband’s family – especially not with her mother-in-law and father-in-law. She said her husband had beaten her and treated her like a servant and had even sent her to work in the fields while pregnant causing her to suffer through three miscarriages.
Chou Bun Eng, Ministry of Interior secretary of state and the permanent vice-chair of the National Committee for Counter Trafficking (NCCT), told The Post on September 22 that immediately after receiving the information about the woman’s plight the Cambodian government intervened by contacting their counterparts in China to arrange the woman’s rescue.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... seeks-help
Different woman??

The one in the article you quoted is 25 (or maybe the original story in the OP meant 25, not 15??
A Cambodian woman who travelled to China to marry a Chinese man there was “badly treated” by her husband’s family and then had to be rescued and will be returned to Cambodia to ensure her safety.

The rescue operation came about after the 25-year-old woman from Kampong Speu province borrowed a phone from a neighbour and posted a video calling for help from the Cambodian authorities.
PrestonLiu
Tourist
Singapore

Post by PrestonLiu »

The Judge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:30 am IMO, the Chinese are the biggest POS known to mankind.
The racist bashing of the Chinese on this forum is just unrelenting.
The Judge
BANNED
Cambodia

Post by The Judge »

PrestonLiu wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am
The Judge wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:30 am IMO, the Chinese are the biggest POS known to mankind.
And well deserved!!
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

PrestonLiu wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:15 am
Your outrage at the treatment of the Chinese is matched only by your lack of outrage at the treatment by the Chinese.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic